It's Rubin For Sure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
U2.com:

The band are back in the studio and working on new material with producer Rick Rubin.

This ends the speculation, eh? (Though we all know u2.com has given us bad info before!)

Even if we forget about the fact that much of what Rubin has done in recent years has been pretty good, I think that the best part is that it seems like he'll shake up the band's recording process a bit. Rumor has it that he's not allowing them to even record anything until it's golden (at least that's my interpretation of Assayas' quote of making them "hold" songs until they're exceptional). While I'm not sure if I definitely like that technique----so many good U2 songs have come from soundchecks and recorded jam sessions, it seems a waste to not get it all on tape---I do like that this may be the first radical change in U2's studio practices since Eno's gimmicks with UF and AB/Zooropa.

Let's just hope that the band doesn't "producer-hop" like they have with the last few albums...

I am quite sure they are recording their jams.
It's how they write.

I think what Rubin means is, "I'm not showing up in studio until you've got 15 great songs ready to record." This is probably how he'll also be able to balance his loaded plate of projects.

That's his specialty, capturing the best takes, getting the truest esscence of the song. He does however have a closer relationship with bands like the Chili Peppers and I think takes a more active role in the studio and spends more time.

I think U2 wants Rubin's ear as opposed to his creative influence.

Lila64 said:

as I continue listening to the RHCP non-stop

Let's hope that U2 don't start singing about California.....:wink:

Rubin did a wonderful job with the Cult's "Electric" album. Their first cut at following up the "Love" album was bombastic and drenched in synths and other weird sounds. Rubin stripped all that crap out and made it a simple vocal/bass/drums and rockin' guitar album. Easily the most 'organic' album the Cult ever did. Not too many overdubs and an album of nothing but killer hooks.

While I don't expect U2 to go that route, I think Rubin will listen to what the boys give him and then "tighten" it up and strip away some of glean and polish the boys had on the last album (in particular). I'd like a more aggressive sounding album myself....but that just me.

Salome said:
I guess all those yearning for new sonic landscapes won't be too pleased

Why not? Rubin could take them different places...or he could make them more "Classic Rock" I dunno, but I think it's better than working with the same ol' producers.

Well now that I think about it I guess it would definitely be more or less an "classic guitar" sounding album...but what's so terrible about that?

Reggie Thee Dog said:

While I don't expect U2 to go that route, I think Rubin will listen to what the boys give him and then "tighten" it up and strip away some of glean and polish the boys had on the last album (in particular). I'd like a more aggressive sounding album myself....but that just me.

That sounds fantastic. I'm hoping for a bit more Edge and a bit more edge.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This would be useless...

Understand that I mean he's not going to be helping them write songs. He's going to help them get out of the studio with the best versions of their own songs.

I think people are under the impression that he's going to have some big creative impact on the songwriting. He'll have a huge impact on how those songs are delivered to the masses in terms of how they are presented.

What has been U2's thorn in the side in the studio?
Taking too much time to write and finalize.
They never finalize, they write continuously.
With Rubin they need to have some songs done.

It's not useless because he can say " this song is great, leave it alone" and have never been present for one day during the writing of the song. That's what I mean by saying they want his 'ears'. They know how to write songs, they just don't know how to finish them.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Why not? Rubin could take them different places...or he could make them more "Classic Rock" I dunno, but I think it's better than working with the same ol' producers.

Well now that I think about it I guess it would definitely be more or less an "classic guitar" sounding album...but what's so terrible about that?

I'm just judging based on the rumors and such, but my impression is that he is taking a similar role in that he took with Neil Diamond and others. He's doing the new Linkin Park, Velvet Revolver, countless others, the guy has a stackload of projects he's rumored to be working with.

Like what I was saying earlier, my guess is that he's going to let U2 dictate their own sound and he's going to help them capture the best of that sound and that's what he's the best at, IMO.

NOW, if he has reserved 6 months of 2007 for U2 alone, then that changes the whole dynamic, I'd guess that's not happening but I could be wrong.

Who says that it is only Rubin that's going to work and produce U2's next tunes? Personally, I'm not seeing U2 putting all their bets in only one producer that they don't know deeply his way of working.
Yeah, they want to try something new about that and change it a bit, but I believe that they'll have a safe hand to hold on if things don't go they way they want to.

Because Rubin may be very his own way - and a way that is the opposite U2 uses to work with - but U2 will want to take control in the driving process. That has always happened.

On the other hand, the fact that Rubin is producing is not synonym of a straight-driven and raw album. Maybe in terms of sound, but we don't know anything about the concept they want to go with.
Well, apart from those titles of HTDAAB outtakes, we don't even have rumours from titles of new songs (at this stage that's not very normal...)...

I'm a Rick Rubin fan even though he looks like someone who'd be selling hookahs behind the counter at a head shop.

Aygo said:
Who says that it is only Rubin that's going to work and produce U2's next tunes?

On the other hand, the fact that Rubin is producing is not synonym of a straight-driven and raw album. Maybe in terms of sound, but we don't know anything about the concept they want to go with.
Well, apart from those titles of HTDAAB outtakes, we don't even have rumours from titles of new songs (at this stage that's not very normal...)...

First of all it would be presumptuous of any of us to think Rubin would be the only producer but given Rubin's history, he seems to be more of an impact producer than a 'contributor' although there are exceptions.

U2's history would say that there is a likelihood that a familiar name would at least help the process along the way. It's so early now, it's all a guessing game.

Also, I totally agree with the latter part of your post, just because Rubin is involved doesn't mean anything will be raw or even straight-driven in the actual creative direction, I think his approach with U2 could be very organic and yet think U2 could want to be rather lavish sonically and I could see it working. I just don't know what Rubin would give them in terms of appraoch that they would 1-not already know, tenfold 2-that they wouldn't just discount, bottom line could be that they just want a success-proved opinion. How long has it been since they've done that?

We do have songs names to work with. Some from the beach clips, some from HTDAAB or even ATYCLB lfetovers. In fact, the general public, those keeping score, we've got at least 8 feasible song titles, not to mention anything else.

Best case scenario IMO is that U2 have around 15-18 songs by Spring 2007 which could lead to an album by Fall 2007. Outside of that has to be optimistic at this point. I happen to think this process for album #12 is in it's infancy to a certain point.

Last edited:
I just don't know if he'll have the time to follow whatever they have begun to completion. U2 doesn't work very fast.

Rick Rubin's schedule for the last couple of years...he's been more than a little busy:

Make Believe - Weezer (2005)
Out of Exile - Audioslave (2005)
Mezmerize - System of a Down (2005)
Hypnotize - System of a Down (2005)
12 Songs - Neil Diamond (2005)
Christ Illusion - Slayer (2006)
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)
Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks (2006)
American V: A Hundred Highways - Johnny Cash (2006)
How Dirty Girls Get Clean - Courtney Love (2006)
FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake (2006)
Untitled - Linkin Park (2007)
Untitled-Metallica (2007)
Untitled - U2 (2007)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

U2DMfan said:

Understand that I mean he's not going to be helping them write songs. He's going to help them get out of the studio with the best versions of their own songs.

I think people are under the impression that he's going to have some big creative impact on the songwriting. He'll have a huge impact on how those songs are delivered to the masses in terms of how they are presented.

I understand what you are saying to a point, but Rubin has a way of making artist think out of their present box, and in that way he IS a very vital means of creative input. I don't think he's ever been a hands on help them write songs type of producer. But he's been a very "lets get down to the reason you make music" type of producer. And this alone makes me excited.

This is the guy that convinced Cash to strip down, Neil to play guitar again, Peppers to record something very personal like 'Under the Bridge'...

This will be good for U2.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I understand what you are saying to a point, but Rubin has a way of making artist think out of their present box, and in that way he IS a very vital means of creative input. I don't think he's ever been a hands on help them write songs type of producer. But he's been a very "lets get down to the reason you make music" type of producer. And this alone makes me excited.

This is the guy that convinced Cash to strip down, Neil to play guitar again, Peppers to record something very personal like 'Under the Bridge'...

This will be good for U2.

Well, I hope it will be good for U2 and that it changes their way of conceiving something new.
But don't forget one thing: through almost those 30 years, the majority of the producers U2 has been working with are those that make part of the band, that writes songs with them, even sometimes they almost lend their own work to the band, and the band take it for themselves.
Rick Rubin is the opposite of that. The "come talk to me when you have a bunch of great songs" makes contrast with this way of working. This can be a good thing because there is no accompainment of the producer in the writing processus. So, this can be good or bad because the surprise for both parts can be positive or not.

Remember that producing (and mainly for U2) is not just a question of getting in the studio with great songs and starting to record it.

I really hope that this way of working brings something new in the U2 we know, but I won't forget the dismiss of Chris Thomas 3 years ago, and I believe that U2 won't have any problem in giving up in Rubin if they're not satisfied with the way things are going.

That's why I'm not going to make a party before the album comes out.

Nelle Hooper left in the middle of POP sessions, Chris Thomas sessions were virtually scrapped during HTDAA. Judging by how busy Rubin and considering U2's best work come out after spending days and days over an idea I am not too hopeful.

I am pretty sure this associations is limited to few tracks. There are lots of other musical geniuses out there if only U2 can look around.

Kazd7 said:
Nelle Hooper left in the middle of POP sessions, Chris Thomas sessions were virtually scrapped during HTDAA. Judging by how busy Rubin and considering U2's best work come out after spending days and days over an idea I am not too hopeful.

I am pretty sure this associations is limited to few tracks. There are lots of other musical geniuses out there if only U2 can look around.

I totally agree with this, although I'm hopeful in the work of Rubin, well, more curious than hopeful.
I think too that Rubin won't be 100% in U2's next work. First because of the time - Rubin won't want to wait for U2 working in a lonely song or a isolated idea, and U2 likes to work this way - and then because U2 won't want to put all their bets in one producer.
Maybe the next album will have a co-producing of The Edge again, or even the whole band, who knows?

U2girl said:

I remember reading somewhere Linkin Park is redoing all the arrangements on their songs and that their album was pushed back into 2008.

I think the album was supposed to be fall 06 and is now pushed back to 07. I would be surprised if they are already claiming 08 when it is still 06. That would be as slow as U2 for the last couple albums.:wink:

LemonMelon said:

I want U2 far, far away from RHCP. Far away.

Agreed. :yes: All we need is to see Adam with a sock on his donger! :yikes:

Utoo said:

Let's hope that U2 don't start singing about California.....:wink:

Well, they've already sung about Arizona, so they've been close ... :wink:

Axver said:

Well, they've already sung about Arizona, so they've been close ... :wink:

We're still waiting for the "Sorry We Screwed New Zealand" single, right? :wink:

phillyfan26 said:

We're still waiting for the "Sorry We Screwed New Zealand" single, right? :wink:

Waiting? I've had it since July. Edge plays a 10 minute guitar solo. :drool:

Axver said:

Waiting? I've had it since July. Edge plays a 10 minute guitar solo. :drool:
Dude it doesn't matter if it's Edge or not -

Robot replacement Edge unit is the future.

Back
Top Bottom