It's Rubin For Sure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utoo said:
Yeah, let's get back to talking about Rick Rubin.

Yes, you're right :up:

Well, talking about Rubin, I really don't see what good U2 can be released from his hands :| I mean, he's a US producer heavily oriented to US bands and corporate industry. :eyebrow:

Just to name Nu Metal calls to mind the crap he can produce. Also, he is famous for having "stripped-down" sound, I mean, the stupid excuse about being "direct, emotional, etc" to sound rough, lack of arrangements, dry, flat, and often with too much compression and clipping...

If you can think about his style, you can notice his sound could be exactly as ATYCLB :mad:

I can see Rubin leaving all the cheap and fake "emotional" Bono takes as Sometimes You Can't Make It, In A Little While, A Man And A Woman, etc for the final master take of each song. That's exactly what Bono wants, surely. He won't even try to sing decent and he will keep drinking and smoking while he's recording the album, because Rubin like that s*** sound in the voice because it's "emotional". Meanwhile Bono will be allowed to travel around the world, and then "sing" overnight with raspy rough voice a couple of takes per song, and that's all!

:down:

U2 have been recording songs intended just for US market since 2000, that's nothing new. With Rubin the situation won't be different at all: A US coporate producer producing "songs" by a US band (let's face it, U2 aren't an Irish band anymore) who write songs for the Super Bowl, Grammy, MTV and all that US money machine industry.

Finally, Rubin is working with such sellouts as Metallica and Linkin Park ... what good U2 could expect from him?

In case you don't know, Rubin has produced Justin Timberlake, Courtney Love, Weezer, Limp Biskit, South Park, etc ...

from a USA Today column...

Rick Rubin launched his career in 1984 with groundbreaking hip-hop records and spent the past two years immersed in the comeback songbook of Neil Diamond, a Red Hot Chili Peppers double album and the final recordings of Johnny Cash.

Here are diverse highlights spanning the 20 years in between:

1986 Beastie Boys, Licensed to Ill
1987 The Cult, Electric
1988 Danzig
1989 Andrew Dice Clay
1990 Slayer, Seasons in the Abyss
1991 Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood Sugar Sex Magik
1992 Sir Mix-A-Lot, Mack Daddy*
1993 Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit
1994 Tom Petty, Wildflowers
1995 AC/DC, Ballbreaker
1996 Donovan, Sutras
1997 Private Parts soundtrack*
1998 System of a Down
1999 South Park: Mr. Hanky's Christmas Classics
2000 Johnny Cash, American III: Solitary Man
2001 Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Final Studio Recordings
2002 Audioslave
2003 The Mars Volta, De-Loused in the Comatorium
2004 Jay-Z, 99 Problems (song from The Black Album Acappella)

and off the top of my head, the last RHCP album and the last Slayer, both released in 2006 (the article didn't cover 2005-2006). And indicated here or on the web, he's working on Metallica, Linkin Park, Timberlake,... etc. Who knows what he will bring to the table - must be doing something right :shrug:

the debut Audioslave CD is :drool: as is the last RHCP CD

I've read that Jacknife Lee was also working on the new album, as well as Rubin. I also think that people like Lanois, Eno, Flood and Lillywhite will be involved with the mixing, engineering and producing of the record, maybe at a later stage. At least a few of them will be involved, as U2 always go back to some of their trusted companions of the past

ponkine said:

Yes, you're right :up:

Well, talking about Rubin, I really don't see what good U2 can be released from his hands :| I mean, he's a US producer heavily oriented to US bands and corporate industry. :eyebrow:

Just to name Nu Metal calls to mind the crap he can produce. Also, he is famous for having "stripped-down" sound, I mean, the stupid excuse about being "direct, emotional, etc" to sound rough, lack of arrangements, dry, flat, and often with too much compression and clipping...

If you can think about his style, you can notice his sound could be exactly as ATYCLB :mad:

I can see Rubin leaving all the cheap and fake "emotional" Bono takes as Sometimes You Can't Make It, In A Little While, A Man And A Woman, etc for the final master take of each song. That's exactly what Bono wants, surely. He won't even try to sing decent and he will keep drinking and smoking while he's recording the album, because Rubin like that s*** sound in the voice because it's "emotional". Meanwhile Bono will be allowed to travel around the world, and then "sing" overnight with raspy rough voice a couple of takes per song, and that's all!

:down:

U2 have been recording songs intended just for US market since 2000, that's nothing new. With Rubin the situation won't be different at all: A US coporate producer producing "songs" by a US band (let's face it, U2 aren't an Irish band anymore) who write songs for the Super Bowl, Grammy, MTV and all that US money machine industry.

Finally, Rubin is working with such sellouts as Metallica and Linkin Park ... what good U2 could expect from him?

In case you don't know, Rubin has produced Justin Timberlake, Courtney Love, Weezer, Limp Biskit, South Park, etc ...

sellouts :love::drool:

Does anyone know where I can find the article (which I think was posted on Interference some time ago) on Rick Rubin wanting to record with U2 one day, and what he believed he could do for U2? He was saying something about getting them to make a record just for the sake of it being good without caring about the commercial aspect of it - not thinking of the audience or how it would be received. He said something about that being his specialty. He was saying he feels he could really do some great things with U2, and would love to try it. I don't have a premium membership, otherwise I'd do a search. I can't find it anywhere on the web either.

Interesting how some people still feel that Rubin will make U2 sound like they did on ATYCLB or Bomb, even though Edge has stated differently.

I remember when rubin originally stated he wanted to work with U2, I started a thread on it. I'm recollecting from memory but he said something along the lines of "it will be different, but it will still be U2"
That's good enough for me.

jinn77 said:
I remember when rubin originally stated he wanted to work with U2, I started a thread on it. I'm recollecting from memory but he said something along the lines of "it will be different, but it will still be U2"
That's good enough for me.
Agreed. That sounds very interesting. Do you have access to that thread under your subscribed threads? If so, could you post the link? Thanks!

LyricalDrug said:
It's gonna be a punk record, I bet. Stripped-down, bare, and raw. Lots of Vertigo, Last Night On Earth, Elevation, and All Because of You - style songs.

Mmm...:love:

But really, are you calling Elevation stripped down? :lol: The album version sounds like Britney Spears' cover of I Want Rock N' Roll sped up. :|

LemonMelon said:

Mmm...:love:

But really, are you calling Elevation stripped down? :lol: The album version sounds like Britney Spears' cover of I Want Rock N' Roll sped up. :|

Ohhhh don't say that:(
The album version in so cool with that hiphop feeling in the percurssion and those sounds in the song plus the little siren in the beggining...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
am i the only one who wants eno and lanois to not have their hands on any of this whatsoever?

No Headache, I'm with you on this one. I'm ready for something different. Especially if they working with a 'sellout'!!! I mean Eno and Lanois never made music that was consider 'sellout' did they? Think about the 'little' bands they work with...some group called the Talking Heads (did they ever sell many records?) Some guy named Bob Dylan. Who's this Peter Gabriel dude Lanois produced? Some nancy-boy named David Bowie. I mean look at that motley crew. Eno and Lanois would never produce some big named star's album. They're not sellouts...no way!!!

Reggie Thee Dog said:

No Headache, I'm with you on this one. I'm ready for something different. Especially if they working with a 'sellout'!!! I mean Eno and Lanois never made music that was consider 'sellout' did they? Think about the 'little' bands they work with...some group called the Talking Heads (did they ever sell many records?) Some guy named Bob Dylan. Who's this Peter Gabriel dude Lanois produced? Some nancy-boy named David Bowie. I mean look at that motley crew. Eno and Lanois would never produce some big named star's album. They're not sellouts...no way!!!

are you realy comparing Peter Gabriel, Bowie, Heads, Dylan etc. with Timberlake, Courtney Love, Limp Bizkit etc?

Difference between these bands is that those produced by Eno will be remembered 20 years from now, while some of rubins projects are already forgoten...

I'm not saying that Rubin didn't produce some great bands (Beastie Boys, RHCP) but just that your comparison is waaay of...

Marko said:
Difference between these bands is that those produced by Eno will be remembered 20 years from now, while some of rubins projects are already forgoten...

can't wait for the rock and roll hall of fame inductions of james and martha & the muffins.

but hey, eno created the start up sound for microsoft windows... so he can never be accused of selling out.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

but hey, eno created the start up sound for microsoft windows... so he can never be accused of selling out.

:lmao:

Lo siento, this is entitled: "How to Pimp Slap". I thought it was appropriate.
rhmpeo.jpg

Last edited:
Rick Rubin produced "License to Ill" by the Beastie Boys...the greatest hip hop record of all time.

That's enough for me. good night.

Back
Top Bottom