It's official: U2.com announcing the remaster dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:

U2 haven't released anything good since three :madspit: i saw them perform as feedback at mount temple and it's gone downhill ever since :down:

Pfffttt... Newbie! :p

You weren't around, like I was, when they were rehearsing in Larry's kitchen.

:D

U2girl said:
True, Reggie, but there will be plenty of time to do all this remastering after they quit making albums. And unlike Best of albums, this wasn't something they were obligated to do. For all we know, remasters of all albums so far could slow down the making of current (and future) album(s).

It has that "we're legends, OLD, and no more cared about in the fast paced industry so here's our back catalogue" vibe to it. Or, as some might say, "ca-ching".

Ah, but they might be around like the Stones or the Who, and then when do you say "OK, now's a good time to remaster?"...in 20 more years...no thanks I don't wish to wait that long...you might have that kind of time, but as a life long fan I don't want to wait that much longer.

I think this is as good as any time to do it. I certainly don't see the harm in it...it's not like U2 is saying "in order for you to be a fan you 'must' buy the new remastered album". And let's face it they ARE legends and they are 'old' for this business in terms of rock senority and fanbase. Doesn't mean their newer albums won't be great and relevant, but they've been established for like 20+ years ago.

Has anyone an idea which songs will be on the bonus-discs?

A Celebration, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock...

gvox said:
If all this stuff was re-released on DVD audio, now that would be mind blowing

They'll do vinyl for nostalgia sake, but won't release on a format that never caught on, disappointing as it may be.

Zootlesque said:
Why are they releasing all 3 re-issues at the same time? I don't have that much money to spend on them!

You have 103-104 days until these are released. The list price for the deluxe editions has been listed as $29.98 on Amazon.com, but most places will sell them for less than that. In all likelihood, you can pick up all 3 together for around $80 including tax. Just try saving 75-80 cents per day that you otherwise would spend and there you go. You'll be able to buy all 3 on release day.

elevated_u2_fan said:
The B-Sides have potential I guess, but what kind of bonus material do you think is floating around for these early albums? Enough to fill a bonus disk per album?

Especially something like October which was pretty much made up as they went along…

Maybe we'll get a bunch of live tracks or something?

I know Axver did a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the non album tracks that could fit on these in a different thread. There are a ton of bsides and non album tracks they can use, most of which have never appeared on cd. They can also release recordings for the first time ever. Here are the tracks I am aware of:

Boy:

U2 Three (Out Of Control, Stories For Boys, Boy/Girl),
Stories For Boys version contained on Irish only compilation Just For Kicks,
Another Day - Twilight single,
11 O'Clock Tick Tock - Touch single,
Things To Make And Do (b-side of A Day Without Me),
Boy/Girl live in London on Sept 22, 1980 (b-side of I Will Follow),
the entire March 6,1981 Boston concert which was released as part of the Complete U2 on itunes and of which around 7-8 songs were released on record as bsides for I Will Follow US single, Fire, Gloria and Sweetest Thing singles,
the BBC recording of I Will Follow that was released on a BBC compilation cd in 1992,
the itunes 3 song demo from 1978

October:

J. Swallow (bside of Fire)
A Celebration - Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl single,
October remix and edit version from They Call It An Accident soundtrack,
I Will Follow live in Hattem, Holland in 1982 from Dutch and German only single,
Fire, I Through A Brick and A Day Without Me live in Werchter, Belgium in 1982 from New Years Day single

War:

Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop) b-side of New Year's Day,
New Year's Day single edit and remix,
2 remixes of Two Hearts Beat As One,
Endless Deep b-side of Two Hearts single,
extended versions of Seconds and Like A Song... from gold disc version of War cd
Twilight, An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart live from Red Rocks from Sweetest Thing single

You can see that the most potential exists for Boy for already released recordings, but they can dig into the vaults for unreleased recordings for the others.

Last edited:
to be honest with everything up to war i just want the remastered album, not that bothered about b-sides and DVD's, although i will purchase them. UF onwards though I want some DVD's!

It will be interesting to see if there are some songs that we have never heard of in these next batch of releases though...

The real exciting time for me will be a super deluxe of Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby! I want the works with these buggers!

This timing could not be worse. I just bought War and Boy about 2 or 3 months ago. They were the only albums that I didn't have in hard copy. As poor as I am, I guess I'm going to have to fork out even more for the remasters. I don't think I can pass up a re-release oppurtunity!

U2girl said:
So if HMV are correct then War and UABRS each come with a bonus DVD. But they don't say anything about the content. Owing to the UABRS DVD obviously being the Denver concert, one can guess that the War DVD will have limitted concert footage and instead will have video clips, TV appearances, interviews and so on. Unless they are going to give us two War concerts!

AndrewCowley said:

So if HMV are correct then War and UABRS each come with a bonus DVD. But they don't say anything about the content. Owing to the UABRS DVD obviously being the Denver concert, one can guess that the War DVD will have limitted concert footage and instead will have video clips, TV appearances, interviews and so on. Unless they are going to give us two War concerts!

something tells me that HMV may just be assuming it's a DVD set, surely U2.com would have announced the DVD's especially the War one... :eyebrow:

chrissybaby said:

something tells me that HMV may just be assuming it's a DVD set, surely U2.com would have announced the DVD's especially the War one... :eyebrow:

True, but it's U2.com, they did have mistakes in reports before...I'm more surprised the official site is so quiet on the Red Rocks DVD.

AndrewCowley said:

The legendary Loreley 1983 comes to mind right now. :yes:

It could be included in full at last !

Don't forget 5 songs were used for the UABRS EP :drool:

chrissybaby said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, we first got news of the Joshua Tree track listing when it appeared on the HMV site, so they may not be too far off here.

phanan said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, we first got news of the Joshua Tree track listing when it appeared on the HMV site, so they may not be too far off here.

You're right. Moreover, we got the news from different sites, including that Spanish one no one trust at first when they announced the Outside Is America doc and Paris concert! :yes:

ponkine said:

The legendary Loreley 1983 comes to mind right now. :yes:

It could be included in full at last !

Don't forget 5 songs were used for the UABRS EP :drool:
Not sure I'd put the Loreley gig into the 'legendary' category but anyway I wonder to what extent U2 own the rights to it? U2 didn't film it themselves, it is a TV broadcast, so I doubt they actually own it. I suppose they could buy it back.

Aside from Red Rocks and Loreley is there any other War tour pro-shots?

U2 also played at the Werchter Festival in 1983 so I wonder was it filmed? You'd think so since their 1982 performances at this festival were. But I've never seen any footage of 1983. Any ideas?

I've got audio of their 1983 Werchter Festival performance and I reckon it is better than Loreley.

Back
Top Bottom