It's official, "Sometimes" released in the U.S. tomorrow (FINALLY!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Although SYCMIOYO has gotten airplay in the U.S. and is even entering some charts, I've been hoping U2 would "officially" release the single in the U.S./N.A. to promote the song and get the video into rotation. I can't find anything on U2.com about the N.A. release of Sometimes, but it does appear now to be official. At MTV2's "All things ROCK" webpage, U2 is the featured artist, and this is front and center on the "Singles" page:

Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
(Universal International)
Released 03/01/2005

Disc 1 Audio Video

01. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own [Radio Edit 96 BPM]
02. Fast Car [Jacknife Lee Mix]

There is also this "Hit Prediction" in the March 5 edition of Billboard Magazine:

Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
U2
Producer(s): Chris Thomas, Steve Lillywhite, Nellee Hooper
Writer(s): U2
Publisher(s): Universal Music Publishing; Blue Mountain Music; Mother Music
Genre: ROCK
Label/Catalog Number: Interscope 11362 (CD promo)
Source: Billboard Magazine
Originally Reviewed: March 05, 2005

Fresh from its Grammy Awards performance of "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" (not to mention three wins), U2 releases the tender ballad as the third single from its global smash "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The cut is already off to a fast start at adult top 40 and modern AC, and certainly modern rock can't be far behind. The song's chorus, sung in Bono's familiar falsetto, is a knockout: "And it's you when I look in the mirror/And it's you when I don't pick up the phone/Sometimes you can't make it on your own." The singer penned the emotional track for his late father, though the sentiment of the cut should hit home with just about anyone with a heart. While it's a no-brainer that rock stations will play this, we hope mainstream top 40 will also come onboard.—KC

This is a great website if anyone wants to organize a radio campaign for the song. It should be a massive hit, as BB says.

http://www.radioandrecords.com/

Reviews like this certainly will help get Sometimes more airplay. Found it a ContactMusic.com in the Single reviews section.

U2
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
Island
Release Date: 7 February 2005

Even if U2 have fame, fortune and the most loyal fanbase in the world – things that would encourage everyone to give up music and enjoy being millionaires – it seems this band never runs out of things to say. On this single, a tribute to Bono’s recently departed father, Bono reflects bitterly on the fact that you can win over everything you want in life, but you can’t beat death. It’s not a case its B-side is a recording of the live performance of Ave Maria at Pavarotti & Friends. He seems to tell us that he recognizes his limits, like every human being, and consequently finds relief in God. The Edge’s guitar opening sounds like a new-age instrument, soft and dreamy, until it fades into a more decisive impact, while Bono’s vocals are as heartfelt as ever and make this a very atmospheric track. The whole feel is of resignation and glory, and it’s capable of leaving the listener breathless.

Giada Arnone

So does this mean they will show the video for the song on TV in the U.S. now? I know MTV won't play it, but VH1 and VH1 Classic certainly will! :drool: :hyper:

What's that website that someone once brought up about the new videos being debuted on VH1 when Vertigo was going to be premiered?

Bono's shades said:
So does this mean they will show the video for the song on TV in the U.S. now? I know MTV won't play it, but VH1 and VH1 Classic certainly will! :drool: :hyper:

You'd be surprised. I wouldn't bet against MTV playing it a few times... in the middle of the night! :ohmy:

WOW, those are great reviews....I am very excited about this song being released!

They'll carry it! I still see ABOY on MTV. Granted it isn't as much as Green Day (which I still like) or JLo :)scream:). But MTV played it around 7:30am and VH1 played it twice (just before 8am and then again on the top 20 video countdown)
Never did get back to sleep. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom