It's Finally Here -- THE VERTIGO APPRECIATION THREAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol....yeah that whole album gets a lot of bashing on this board...but I am not ashamed to say that I LOVE VERTIGO AND ITS VIDEO

cjboog said:
the best music video known to man

:eyebrow: yeah right!!! much better than Numb, EBTTRT, Fly, One, Stay, Please etc... sure.

But I do like the song! :up: Great guitar riff and lots of energy! Awesome instrumental bridge despite the cringeworthy 'all of this could be yours' line.

The girl with crimson nails has Jesus 'round her neck! :heart:

:dance:

I appreciate that Vertigo is the worst track on HTDAAB but rocking live. :happy:

Re: Re: It's Finally Here -- THE VERTIGO APPRECIATION THREAD

Zootlesque said:

:eyebrow: yeah right!!! much better than Numb, EBTTRT, Fly, One, Stay, Please etc... sure.

But I do like the song! :up: Great guitar riff and lots of energy! Awesome instrumental bridge despite the cringeworthy 'all of this could be yours' line.

:dance:

I happen to like the video much better than any of those, thats my opinion. But I'm glad you like the song as a whole :up:

The tune is all about energy.

I listen to Tomorrow and think "19 year olds made that!"

I listen to Vertigo and think "45 year olds made that!"

<ot> Please is a rather strong video to me, but I can't figure it out....</ot>

Veritgo video is probably better than the Fly video...Fly video gives me vertigo (aahahhaahahahahahah)

Re: Re: It's Finally Here -- THE VERTIGO APPRECIATION THREAD

Zootlesque said:

despite the cringeworthy 'all of this could be yours' line.

I love that line. Actually I love both those lines.

A great pop song about temptation. Only U2 could hide such a meaning in such a catchy song.

I love the

"Bullets rip the sky with gold, they twinkle as the boys play rock and roll. They know that they can't dance... at least they know..."

so cool.

The song is incredible. I don't find it cheesy or lame at all... even know I know it is! I love all the silly lines in it! AWesome song! Me and my friends have sang it and no matter how hard we try our "Holla's!" and "Dond' esta" will never sound as good as Edge's :(

Lol... so good. Amazing thread!

I remember sitting with anticipation the day I first heard it on the radio...and was woefully dissapointed. I immediately downloaded it and listened more, but it just seemed so samey.

The more I listened to it, the better it became..all that intensity, so many layers of guitar and to think - this was made by men twice my age. It has a real dynamism...it feels like it is moving, and transporting you along with it. Its not epic, its the opposite - short and punchy. Instead of carrying you with the river, it fires you on a missile.

Then the video which I thought was one of their best. After medicore videos for ATYCLB & HTDAAB, Vertigo now seems to be the sound and image of a band trying to be relevant and succeeding. This is a video that 20 and 30 somethings produce, not 44 year old men.

Whenever I am feeling down, or need a boost, Vertigo is the song I reach for. It is the essence of U2 distilled in just over 3minutes. The Macdonalds of U2...it may not be a gourmet meal like Streets, or modern cuisine like OOTS, but sometimes it hits the spot.

Then seeing it live (even Vertigo x2) you are struck by how well it comes across. The crowd love it. It is the singalong of the 00's. The rush of singing "hello hello" with 60,000 other people! Sometimes rock is fine art, but sometimes its modern art - this is the latter...but art nevertheless.

U2//VeRTigo - in my Top 10

Last edited:
Disclaimer:
The following is my own sort of interpretation, based on my own feelings and instincts, as well as quotes from Bono (though I can't be bothered to go back and find the actual quotes, so sorry)

Vertigo is a song about temptation to sin. In the song, temptation takes the physical form of a club called Vertigo. It's dark and uncomfortable there. The people aren't the people you want to be with, the music isn't what you want to hear. You hate it there and you'd rather just leave.
But suddenly you see a girl wearing a cross, and you're reminded of God. In your mind, you cling to this small bit of hope, and remember that despite all the chaos around you, God is still there.
And, the middle eight is from the fourth chapter of Matthew (the ninth verse, specifically). Satan comes to tempt Jesus, he brings Jesus to a hill overlooking Jerusalem and tells him "I'll give you all of this, if you worship me." (I'm paraphrasing).

That said, it's impossible for me not to like Vertigo. It's a rather fun song to listen to, especially the beginning. When I listen to it, I typically scream "UNO! DOS! TRES! CATORCE!" as loudly as possible. It's great fun.
I also like to sing the "Yea, yea, yea, yea, yea, yea, yea! Yea, yea, yea, yea, yea, yea, yea, YEA!" randomly :D

YeaH! I saw the name of this thread and said YES!!!!!!

Vertigo is an awesome song. Went straight to my top 10 immediately. Then I started seeing that alot of people didn't like it and I really couldn't figure it out. But then when Bono said in Rolling Stone that it is one of his top favorite U2 songs of all time, I felt in the best company I could be in, so yeah :)

Thanks cjboog! :D

I still love Vertigo. When it leaked on the internet thanks to the spanish radio broadcast I listened to it so many times over the next couple of days!

If I ever find myself liking it less I just leave it for a while, and it sounds better when I come back!

Live it's just boring! The only listenable live version is on the Chicago DVD i think...and Bono should be playing guitar as well...

great song, when it first came out i listened to it like 100X in a row.

The guitar riff and bassline :drool: :drool:

it has some cheesy stuff in it, like the "captain" line in the beginning, and i dont like the "no one gets hurt..." line. I wish I was in the studio with them and said "uhhh.....no fellas..."

but its a great rocker, and even better live. the video of the Milan performance was incredible.

Great single

Love HTDAAB: I don't know why all the bashing:
My faves are: yes I will admit S YCMIOYO, Crumbs saw it live amazing! OOTS saw that live too unbelievable. AW I really love the CD I am close to wearing out!:heart:

One of U2's most rocking songs ever. :rockon:

I'd say it may even be their most rocking song, but I know how some of you nineties fans get when people start to talk like that. :shh:

Mmm I love Vertigo for its high energy-ness. And i agree that the live from Milan version does totally rock!

"...they know that they can't dance, at least they know" hahah aww B we know you can't dance too, but you sure look cute trying:wink:

cjboog said:

hmmm....I don't think I have heard that one:scratch:

Oh you're kidding?! It's on the dvd that came with the special edition cd. It's just Bono, Edge and a banjo! It's fantastic!!!

Back
Top Bottom