It's Finally Here -- THE VERTIGO APPRECIATION THREAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonocomet said:

Oh you're kidding?! It's on the dvd that came with the special edition cd. It's just Bono, Edge and a banjo! It's fantastic!!!

To cjboog- Since it's on a dvd I can't upload it here or I would. You must see it if you're a fan of the song. But I'm pretty sure the spec.ed. is still available in stores if you really want it. It's packaged the same as the regular version, but the back of the packaging lists the dvd documentary. I didn't know about it when it 1st came out so I had to go buy it afterwards myself too, but to me its worth it for those special features, you also get the other video version of the band doing Vertigo as well. (The studio? version which is really good). And well, the Banjo version is still one of my favorites! :)

the banjo version is far from my favorite, but it had me rolling on the ground the first time i saw it :wink:

bonocomet said:

To cjboog- Since it's on a dvd I can't upload it here or I would. You must see it if you're a fan of the song. But I'm pretty sure the spec.ed. is still available in stores if you really want it. It's packaged the same as the regular version, but the back of the packaging lists the dvd documentary. I didn't know about it when it 1st came out so I had to go buy it afterwards myself too, but to me its worth it for those special features, you also get the other video version of the band doing Vertigo as well. (The studio? version which is really good). And well, the Banjo version is still one of my favorites! :)

I actually first recieved the CD as a gift, so I never got the special edition. Maybe if I am out one day where they sell CD's I will buy it. I honestly thought you were joking at first! :D

I love it. So freaking amazing live.
Vertigo x2 is also amazing.
One of the best songs on HTDAAB.

cjboog said:

I actually first recieved the CD as a gift, so I never got the special edition. Maybe if I am out one day where they sell CD's I will buy it. I honestly thought you were joking at first! :D

Well I would have thought so too probably! But it is just a fun version between Bono & Edge, nothing like the awesome rocking versions, but fun nonetheless! It's great watching the 2 of them work together.

Vertigo is BRILLIANT. Top 10 U2 songs for me! It's got such amazing energy and verve, if it had been released by a new band they'd be getting rave reviews alright, and the fact it's been released by a band in their 3rd decade together, it's just fab. That riff, the drums, Adam's bas through the verses, the catchy chorus... It's got it all!

I love Vertigo and the great video. The music is intense and the special effects in the original video are stunning. I really would like to see U2 explore more music with explosiveness and intensity like Vertigo. I hope that's what The Edge means when he talks about the band going in a different direction for their next album.

bonocomet said:
And no one has mentioned the awesome Bono & Edge BANJO version! Now that is a great version! :D

:lmao: I love that!! they're so cute together!! man, only Edge could look so badass playing a banjo.

Vertigo is brilliant. I never got tired of it. The first time I heard it I was just blown away. I didn't know what to think. It was so U2, but at the same time it was like, "holy shit, this is U2?!" I knew it'd gain the band a whole crop of new fans, and I was right. One of our local radio stations even played the song three times in a row when it premiered :drool: that was so cool! and I loved the iPod ad. the ad and the U2 iPod got me completely hooked on iPods and now I have two of them. Good job, U2 and Apple, way to make me broke :p

Seriously though, that riff is one of Edge's best. The song just rocks. And it's absolutely fantastic live. I'm sorry I never saw Vertigo x2.

I still love the thing, and I've heard it dozens, and dozens, and DOZENS of times. I probably played it 15 times the night it came out onto Spanish radio and everyone bootleged it.

The song's a pure adrenaline rush when played live, and it's just great.

I loathe the video though. :wink:

I'm not afraid to profess my love to Vertigo, and as a long time U2 fan I hardly think it's "ruining their sound" along with HTDAAB (which I love as well, their 3rd best album to date, hard to top two masterpieces you know) as many people on here seem to think.

cjboog said:
I'm so glad Vertigo has been able to get a nice pat on the back. It's a nice break from the usual thrashing that it takes. :up:

I totally agree! I still can't figure out what so many u2 fans have against the song? I find it refreshing rocknroll and obviously the band has a blast playing it. I'm still not tired of hearing it over and over. It was awesome on Saturday Night Live too, and the E channel is going to be replaying it this month, unless the date has passed already... oops not sure now....

So let's start a discussion of everybody's favorite live performance of Vertigo they've heard. For me it's gotta be the one at Live 8, awesome performance, the lightshow was great and playing it before 400,000 people, can't beat that.

Also, I LOVE the video, great special effects, although sadly I haven't seen much of it since back in 2004, I really need to get around to downloading it off iTunes.

powerhour24 said:
So let's start a discussion of everybody's favorite live performance of Vertigo they've heard. For me it's gotta be the one at Live 8, awesome performance, the lightshow was great and playing it before 400,000 people, can't beat that.

Ok! Well I haven't seen Live8 yet :( Aww it's good then huh? As far as live goes.... Saturday Night Live was awesome. (I also have a sentimental spot for Portland 12-19-05 since I was there, can't beat that either. But I don't think that's available to watch anywhere except in little snips people have downloaded off their cel phones!) I love the desert video! That is amazing I think. But the one on the dvd in the cd is very cool too in the silver room. (Not the banjo one, although that's cool too!)

did we realy need a vertigo thread? lol i mean isn't that like a led zeppelin board having a whole lotta love appreciation thread? like along lines of um yeah no shit.... lol :)

actually it just seems like Vertigo was such a great song, but people on this forum constantly beat it up with a blunt axe! I just thought everyone needed a reminder that Vertigo is a great song, and hopefully the vertigo bashers will go easy on it from here on out.

powerhour24 said:

I didn't think it was that great! The band was in great shape but it was early and the audience didn't feel paticularily excited!

I really love it on the Live in Chicago DVD.. with the CCh Chh Chh Chh Chh CAGOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! thing! So cool!

And I love the audience going "Hola!" with Edge and Bono raising his fist in the air! Amazing! And the lights obviously... it pumps me up every time.

One of thier best songs. Easily.

In Portland Bono sang "Goodbye goodbye". I'm uploading a short video to you sendit of the intro if anyone would like to see what it felt like that night. The energy there was the most I'd seen anywhere. I'll post it as soon as it's done...slow dial up tho.... :whistle:

allbecauseofu2 wrote: the "all of this could be yours" lines are very sonic youth-ish.
spot on, you're right! vertigo is DIRTY BOOTS (reprise) of Sonic Youth.
although VERTIGO is a bit of a rip-off, its one of the better songs on the last album which name i can't remember

Here we go...Video of the "goodbye goodbye" Vertigo intro from Portland 12-19-05

http://s5.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1K4XTLGOYVMLA1Z5SUM19IWZIW

Paste it to your address bar and don't forget to remove the space between "you" and "sendit". The link will work for 7 days.

I really wish it was longer, but it definitely lets you feel the energy of Vertigo that night.

And because I'm sorry it cuts off when it does, I'm uploading the entire song on audio and I'll post it also.... It's really good. :)

Ok here's the audio of the entire song. It was a good night for Vertigo.

http://s52.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1JGJSOB0P6ZYS1IDI1UH71TKNP

Last edited:
Well yes it was early in Live 8, but the crowd definitely was into it from the start with Sgt. Pepper's with McCartney, I dunno I just loved it. Obviously their best performance from the day was of "One" to close out their set.

Oh and right after I said that I needed to get the video, I went straight to iTunes to do that, soo good to be reunited. The effects just match the energy of the song so well.

I recognize that it's obviously one of their more radio friendly songs and not a particularly meaningful one, but the Edge's guitar work on it is astounding.

bonocomet said:
Here we go...Video of the "goodbye goodbye" Vertigo intro from Portland 12-19-05

http://s5.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1K4XTLGOYVMLA1Z5SUM19IWZIW

Paste it to your address bar and don't forget to remove the space between "you" and "sendit". The link will work for 7 days.

I really wish it was longer, but it definitely lets you feel the energy of Vertigo that night.

And because I'm sorry it cuts off when it does, I'm uploading the entire song on audio and I'll post it also.... It's really good. :)

Ok here's the audio of the entire song. It was a good night for Vertigo.

http://s52.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1JGJSOB0P6ZYS1IDI1UH71TKNP

Thanks, Bono sounded great :up:

Back
Top Bottom