It's a Cartoon World!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Wow! What a song! Here's the Cartoon World appreciation thread! Man this song rocks. A funky beat, cool guitar solo, awesome basslines, and bam! You have one of the best forgotten U2 songs ever!

How cool would it be to hear this song on the next tour!

Send me a message on AOL Instant Messenger (fenderzigocaster) so i can send you the song!

Already got the song. Love it! One of my Favourite U2 tracks, (as I'm a lot more fond of U2's earlier years..) Version I have is from Dublin National Stadium, Feb 1980, if you hadn't read my past post on the song. Which is brilliant. The beginning of it's a bit off though! I think the tape source of whatever was used for the bootleg must have been a bit iffy, (don't quote me on that, I know hardly anything on that sort of thing) But I'm busy trying to edit all the bad bits out of the song, (including the false start second verse...[lots of squealing feedback]!)

Wow, that is grand ... though, Jack In The Box, it appears to have been cut off short on that one you uploaded. When I downloaded it, I only got a megabyte, and the song was 1:40 long ... the end was quite abrupt, like there's more. Did it download wrong or something?

I have a CD I bought at a privately owned music store in a closeby hippy town, that sells bootlegs and other stuff of that sort. Anyway, I was looking through some U2 bootlegs, and this little diamond in the rough popped up. Here are the songs. I can't remember the order off hand, and there were 2 CDs.

Demo versions of:
The dream is over
Boy-Girl
The fool
Another day
Alone in the light
Street Missions
The King's new clothes
The Magic Carpet
The false prophet
Trevor
Inside-out
Night Fright
Cartoon World
Speed of life
Concentration Camp
A day without me
11:00 tick tock
Shadows and tall trees
Stories for boys
Another time, another place
Twilight

Live versions of:
Jack in the box
Carry me home
Glad to see you go
Father is an elephant

And also featured:
Out of Control (U2-3 version)
Stories for boys (U2-3 version)
Boy-Girl (U2-3 version)
Another Day (single version)

It was a great find. I am going to try to make a website on which you can download them from. I'm not sure where the CD is. I recently moved, so you know how it can be when things get thrown in boxes and stuff. But I feel it is my duty to the U2 community to share this.

Also, go to www.u2tours.com, and there you can listen to the show from October 5th, 1979, at the Cork Opera House in Ireland. You can listen to the entire show. Here's the set list.

1. Stories for boys
2. Speed of life
3. Cartoon World
4. The King's new clothes
5. Inside-out
6. Another time, another place
7. Boy-Girl
8. Out of control
encore
9. Glad to see you go

Also, a few amendments to add to my previous post. The early version of 11:00 tick tock is actually not that song. It's an earlier incarnation of 11:00, called "The silver lining". I have this version.

I also have a song called "Pete the Chop", which Edge and Paul discussed in Flanagan's book as "their surefire hit single" that they kept on the backburner in case they got in trouble. I don't think this song would've helped them much, really. Not to be confused with the War b-sides "Treasure (Whatever happened to Pete the Chop)", a song I've never heard.

discothequeLP, that'd be cool if I could get it off you. As a correction to my earlier post, the song says it is 1:40 long but stops after 1:05 and goes to the next track. It's like the download 'completed' when it was incomplete.

Acrobat, that would be grand if you could get all that stuff on a site, and I'll go check out that link you gave right now. I'd particularly like to hear the early incarnation of 11 O'clock Tick Tock, seeing that's my favourite U2 song.

Hmmm ... those songs at u2tours.com won't work for me. I keep on getting errors, saying that it can't connect with the website the songs are on.

Back
Top Bottom