Its 1993 . . . Instead of Zooropa, U2 releases 'Bomb'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
strannix said:

Yeah, well I'm way cooler than any of you guys, because I've been out on music as a whole since the invention of that stupid phonograph. I refuse to sell out to "recorded music."

Haha classic!!

Funny you posted this thread. I was thinking something similar yesterday.

I was listening to the new album while driving home last night and thinking how the sound of it would have been a natural progression from Joshua Tree/R&H. Then I realized that had they release this album in 1991 their careers might have been over. It would have been too much of the same sound. I think Achtung Baby and the subsequent detour was exactly what they needed to remain fresh and that this year was perfect to bring back that sound.

Every good band goes through progressions that make sense when you look at all their work as a whole - especially true with U2, imo.

I liked ATYCLB - I get what people are saying about not liking it, but it was a doorway into the back catalog for a lot of younger fans. To me, Bomb is the album that will cement their fandom.

I also kinda think that, for as strong as Bomb is, it would've been harder to follow up than ATYCLB. So the progression from ATYCLB to Bomb feels pretty healthy.

And Kite makes me weep blood. ;)

I almost cried when I thought of a world without Pop, just now. Words cannot express my love for that record.

I think HTDAAB would have seemed a lot more "innovative" back in '93...I dunno though... it might have meant the end of U2's career. It's hard to say, I was a little kid in '93 :shrug:

I still can't imagine a world without Pop. Or Zooropa. Or ATYCLB. Don't make me think about things like that.

Pop is arguably their most underated album. That album actually feels very fresh esp. when you play it today!

But keep the order (not that ee couold change it anyways...). THings happen for a reason.

Bomb is that reason today! :)

Bomb couldn't exist in 93....themes are too mature- life lessons hadn't been learned yet. Also, some of this seems passengersesque.....

I love Pop, ATYCLB, Zooropa, and of course HTDAAB...and i'm with the people who say i wouldn't change a thing. I'm happy with what was released when it was released.

I never realized tho that there were so many people who did not like ATYCLB ...I remeber loving it when it came out, ok maybe not every song but i still liked most of the album.
But comparing it to Bomb i do admit right now i like Bomb better...i can listen to every single track and i don't skip any, as for when ATYCLB came out i tended to skip songs.
All just my opinion.
:dance:

WHYWHY said:
If Bomb were released in 93.... the music scene would've changed dramatically. I think the garage and punk rock revolution would have started a lot earlier than it actually did.

WHYWHY.

so sorry, but the revolution started two years earlier, and it was called nevermind. deal with it.

I would have to say that U2 wouldn't be considered as ironic, so to speak if HTDAAB was the follow up to Achtung Baby. While I already love HTDAAB more than Zooropa (still a GREAT album), Zooropa took irony and grew huge in it. HTDAAB would probably be the less appropriate follow up to Achtung Baby, believe it or not.

Back
Top Bottom