iTMS: Make all the Complete U2 songs available for individual purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyril

The Fly
Hi,

Like the majority of Interferencers, I own over 90% of the songs offered in the Complete U2 box available on the iTunes music store, and would like to purchase the "Unreleased and Rare" songs.

I wrote to Apple / iTunes, asking them to make all the Complete U2 songs available for individual purchase (letter/e-mail pasted at the bottom of this post).

Go to the following link, and write them a nice letter requesting for all the songs from the Complete U2 to be made available for individual purchase:

http : //www . apple . com / feedback / itunes . html

Together we can make it happen ... (Remember the Slane DVD :yes: )

Cheers,
-Cyril

--

Hello,

I am a U2 fan and own the following U2 “official” releases:

• LP’s: Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers: Original Soundtrack 1, Pop, Best Of 1980-1990 (2-cd limited edition), All That You Can’t Leave Behind, Best Of 1990-2000 (2-cd limited edition), and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Special Limited Edition).

• EP’s: Sunday Bloody Sunday US EP, Under a Blood Red Sky Live EP, Wide Awake in America EP, Where the Streets have No Name EP, Discotheque Single, Last Night on Earth EP, Please Pop Heart EP, If God Will Send is Angels EP.

• Propaganda (fan club) release: Hasta la Vista Baby!

And, I, obviously, own an iPod (3rd generation 40GB). I am very interested in purchasing tracks from the “Complete U2”, especially the “Unreleased and Rare”, “Live from Boston 1981”, “Live from the Point Depot” and “Early Demos”. Those tracks are unfortunately not available for individual purchase, but available as an “Album Only”. I guess you can see where I am going …

I want to give my “hard-earned” cash to U2 and Apple, and legally purchase those songs. Simply by looking at the U2 releases I own, you can see that it really does not make sense for me to purchase the “Complete U2”. Please make those tracks available for individual purchase.

Regards,
-Cyril

--

Some hope!!!:huh: Wait till there available on unofficial sites for downloads and then ipod/U2 will get what they deserve for screwing the long term fans.

Last edited:
Nice idea.

What may be more powerful is if all of us who dont want to buy the boxset but would gladly purchase the songs that are unreleased type up a form letter and we all sign it and forward it to both U2 and Apple and just slam them with the same request.

Here's what I sent:

I am a fan of U2 that aleady owns almost every CD that they have released. I am very interested in downloading parts of the Complete U2 digital box set that include songs that I do not own, but I am upset that these songs can only be purchased by downloading the entire set. I am only interested in purchasing 64 of the 400 plus tracks. I would be willing to pay to individualy download each of these songs, but I will NOT pay $150 to also download the songs I already have. You might want to reconsider your decision not to individually sell these tracks, in the meantime you will lose my business.

I'm all for sending them a letter of my own, but will it do any good? Doesn't U2 or Principal management have the final say in the matter?

Bono's shades said:
I'm all for sending them a letter of my own, but will it do any good? Doesn't U2 or Principal management have the final say in the matter?

Do you remember how the Slane DVD got released? Fan demand.

If enough people tell Apple the word would trickle down to U2. If anything we should at the very least send the same email to both Apple and U2.com even. If the bang is loud enough someone will hear.

It doesnt matter who has final say really, it doesnt hurt to shoot the emails along.

I think these songs will be eventually up for individual or smaller package release (like all the songs from the Point Depot show will come together as a mini-package).

However, right now, I do not see this changing. Why? Because it's part of the promotion. They want people to buy this "box set". To entice fans into buying the entire box set, they are throwing in extras. It's analogous to throwing on a few new songs in any "Best Of" collection. Fans already have all the songs featured on a "Best Of" - so why buy it? By adding in a new song, this provides fans with an incentive to buy the "Best Of". The same reasoning is being used with this box set. The extras are enticement to buy it all.

Once the hoopla of the box set, new album and U2-themed iPod settle, I imagine that Apple will release these other tracks as separate items. But this may take 6 months or more.

While I agree that these should be offered up for individual sales, this thread has appeared elswhere and someone raised an interesting point. There are a lot of tunes out there that many of us long-time fans have, but did we pay for them? If you did, fine. If not ... I view it as paying the boys back. They have not released those tunes you may already have until now.

Just a thought. That said ... they should allow you to download the songs you want without having to order up the whole thing.

Hawkmoon72 said:
While I agree that these should be offered up for individual sales, this thread has appeared elswhere and someone raised an interesting point. There are a lot of tunes out there that many of us long-time fans have, but did we pay for them? If you did, fine. If not ... I view it as paying the boys back. They have not released those tunes you may already have until now.

Just a thought. That said ... they should allow you to download the songs you want without having to order up the whole thing.

I understand that people are "paying them back" if they've obtained the tracks illegally in the past. But a LOT of us have all of this stuff obtained legally and it isnt cheap amassing that collection with physical CDs. Hell, those import CD singles run about 10 a pop, so 10 of em physically equal the box set with the coupon. Besides why do I want to rebuy the entire thing when I can rip at a better quality to begin with?

This is a slap in the face to those fans that shouldnt have to shell out the big dollas to get the 12-15 tracks they want to hear.

Back
Top Bottom