It started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, this isn't a movie, but this isn't an instance where subjectivism is of any use.

There have been a few historical instances where THERE ARE GOOD GUYS, World War II being the best example. And this is another great example.

Hence the support of the ENTIRE FREE WORLD.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I am sure I will be scorned and reproached for this comment, but I am very pleased with today's actions.
--------
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
-T.S. Eliot, "The Waste Land"
So am I. It had to be done.

Bubba, do you agree that some of that support from the FREE world you forced out by your ultimatum - "eithr with us or else...". Take for instance Pakistan - the perfect example..

WW2 - good guys - yes mostly, but a-bomb?, napalm in Hamurg and all other cities in Germany - killing civilians like flies? Well by todays standards from the US and Hague court a country that DEFENDS itself shouldn't kill ONE civilian b/c it's conciderd a war crime, and war crime doesn't grow old - so why are there no war criminals that will be guilty for bombing hiroshima, hamburg and so on?

Originally posted by what a bomb!:
EYE FOR A EYE,TOOTH FOR A TOOTH

I can see that nothing has been learned in over 2,000 years.

This is not an "eye for an eye" currently. As much as I've criticized the Bush administration, this has been handled well, so far. They are currently attacking strategic locations, not murdering civilians, and with minimal ground force usage. As long as it stays this way, I will remain placated.

As for WWII atomic weaponry, we have to let it go. It's history. 90% of us here weren't even alive when it took place. It's like the "Twilight Zone" when a man prevented JFK's assassination, only to realize that the world has been plunged into an atomic war. The lesson is we do not know how the world would be different now, nor should we think about it. Perhaps the world would have been a better place, but we cannot say that for sure. We must rely on fate.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by Aine:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:

Hence the support of the ENTIRE FREE WORLD.
Forgive my ignorance...FREE from what ?

Entire Free World = Entire world under a democratic government where "The People" run the show.

Not a world where "the people" have no civil liberties and live under a strict, stubborn regime/dictator.

CK

------------------
I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

Do I ACTUALLY have to explain this, Aine?

We are free to elect our leaders. It's called democracy. (Actual, it's a republic, but I digress.)

We are individually free to earn a living in whatever way we choose, free of social castes, and to use our property and wages in whatever way we choose. It's called capitalism.

We are free to speak our minds and to worship whatever god we choose, in whatever manner we choose -- or to worship no god.

We are free to decide our own lives.

Achtung Bubba

I think Bubba's heart is in the right place, but that he--no offense--can come across as that "ugly American," with the "world revolves around America" attitude. To those who aren't American, this can be disconcerting, not by what he has said at all; just by the inherent connotation of that attitude.

Now I do not, for a bit, think he's a bad guy, but that, perhaps, some of his words have not been chosen the best. In essence, I think we would agree a lot on what's going on; it's just that I tend to be better at bullshitting my way out of confrontation.
wink.gif

Anyway, here I go being the centrist again that no one will read, and you will continue to go on arguing. Who am I to interfere with your fun?
smile.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

er...I'm not jewish! I'm C of E ! I quoted eye for an eye.... because its a saying I agree with, if someone punched me in the face I will do the same to them! I'm not getting carried away I just hope the Taliban gets destroyed, but I also think that if this happens, the west should not turn their backs on Afgahnistan,we should help them rebuild their country for the citizens, who currently live in fear of the Taliban.
Me Jewish? lol well I don't have a polo-neck last time I looked!

What does this mean?

CK

PS Read below and offer me some tickets!!

------------------
I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
Anya !! Da stravstvuet SANKT-PETERBURG , ili prosto piter , luchy gorod v Rossii
biggrin.gif
KRASOTA !
biggrin.gif

Hi Ivan !
Ti ochen' klassnii.
wink.gif

KRASOTA indeed
biggrin.gif
Ya ne protiv nikh,no chego eti dvoe takie zombi ?
confused.gif

Ya ne budu pro "inner freedom",a to u nikh
brains sovsem sgoryat...
biggrin.gif

(They don't even get we're
havin' a bit of a show at their expense. It's wicked of me I know,but let's have some fun
tongue.gif
).

[This message has been edited by Aine (edited 10-07-2001).]

Sorry,Achtung Bubba and TheU2,but I ACTUALLY
knew that.I was being a bit sarcastic,but
you were too serious to notice...
redface.gif

I noticed your post, Melon.
smile.gif

Yes, perhaps I come off as the arrogant American -- no offense taken.

I do try in most other issues to understand all the sides. But in this case, I believe my position is clearly right, and I won't change my mind. Even if I don't believe the world revolves around the U.S., I believe that the U.S. revolves around the U.S. -- that the first directive of the American military is to protect Americans. Beyond that, I honestly believe that our cause is just.

Achtung Bubba

AINE:

If you're going to make fun of other people on this forum, don't announce it, and certainly don't use proper nouns.

"Bubbini brains ne viderzhat
biggrin.gif
"

And, um, making comments about me in another language comes off as quite cowardly, and is a sure way to piss me off.

If you don't have the guts to say something to me in English, then don't say it all, you coward.

ACHTUNG BUBBA:
I was just about to say that you were an
interesting person to talk to (absolutely
seriously this time)even though I may not
like what you're saying,but...
...You ruined everything.
Because when people stop being courteous it
means they're irritated.
smile.gif

Well, I'm sorry to upset you, but in the earlier post (that you just changed), you were obviously saying something about me behind me back -- and I don't appreciate that.

If you're willing to not do that anymore, I willing to drop it. Okay?

When I first saw this subject, all kinds of things I wanted to say and relay entered my mind. However, after reading all the posts, I think Achtung Bubba and TheU2 have said everything that was on my mind and I thank them.

I think Ivan is the one living in a Hollyshit Blockbuster, peace is cool but there is reality to deal with too. This crap may just go away by itself, but Santa might land on the White House tommorrow and monkeys might fly out of his ass.

I also hope everyone realizes that we are not sticking our noses in somewhere it doesn't belong, in case you haven't noticed the US was viciously attacked without provocation and thousands died. As far as the people I know are concerned whatever we do will not be enough. This action is appropriate. You cannot reach a 'peaceful solution' or even 'negotiations' with people so far out there that they honestly would rather die than to see us live. What, do you think we can say, oh please stop, and that's the end of it? Get real. Not only that, those people will never be able to see the other side or look at things objectively because they live in a society of censorship and they are poisoned against the west to believe we are 'Satan' and cannot or will not hear different. They want us all dead, and feel they will gain glory from this and are willing to die to kill us. If you can't threaten someone with their life, what scares them? There is no dealing with people like that. It's kind of like a dog with rabies. I don't want any dog hurt, but if he's hopelessly gone and charging at you and it's you or him you're going to have to kill him. That's how I feel about the Taliban,Bin Laden and his henchmen.

I would like to thank and salute the other countries who aided us with this, especially the British. I would also like to cheer on the Northern Alliance, the Afghan rebels who are also fighting the Taliban.

In my mind, the U.S. had to take this military action. There were no viable alternatives. If there is a terrorist backlash here in our country and more people die, then they die in the name of freedom, which is not a death in vain.

Freedom has a hefty price sometimes. Not everyone believes in the American ideal enough to die for it, but I do. If something unfortunate happens to me here in NYC the next time some psycho decides he wants to commit suicide for Allah, well that is my bad luck, for being at the wrong place at the wrong time - just like those innocents at the WTC...

I believe that if people die because we go out and defend our freedom and our way of life, that is an honorable way to go. Does it make the hurt any less severe? Of course not. But would you rather get killed in another terrorist attack that occurs because we did not go there and try to wipe out the lunatics who are responsible for this?

If I have to choose a way to go, I choose to go out fighting for what I believe in, not cowering in the face of evil.

AJ

Achtung Bubba,
And I thought I was FREE to talk in any language I wanted...
biggrin.gif

Seriously though,I wouldn't call it talking about you behind your back.Just that what you said about freedom made laugh,not cause you personally are funny (I don't know you )but cause of some subtle differences in mentalities.So come on,calm down.After all,
why do you care so much about what someone
somewhere's saying allegedly about you ?
And I don't appreciate aggressive people either...
smile.gif

Hey AJ...

Prop came and I got ducats for Sunday at Meadowlands. I'm trying to work a trade out somehow. See below

CK

------------------

Yes, Aine, you're free to talk in whatever language you want.

(Though, there isn't complete freedom on this forum -- look at the documentation people have to agree to join.)

And I really don't care what you think or say about me. If I cared, I'd try to get along a lot more. But it is rude to talk about someone behind his back, and you should not have been shocked that it upset me.

Again, I'm willing to move on if you are.

Oh Bejasus!!!I am NOT talking behind yer back,I'm taking in front of yer face which is in front of yer computer at the moment!!!
smile.gif

Calm down.I didn't even know if you're a "he" or "she"...

What does this mean again?

CK

------------------

Ivan,I LOVE ya !!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Ohhh,Achtung Bubba...
1.Your personal info doesn't say which languages you understand and which you don't.
2.But if you don't,sorry,I can't help it.
3.And if you don't,how do you know I was talking about you ???
confused.gif

Originally posted by Aine:
Ivan,I LOVE ya !!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Ohhh,Achtung Bubba...
1.Your personal info doesn't say which languages you understand and which you don't.
2.But if you don't,sorry,I can't help it.
3.And if you don't,how do you know I was talking about you ???
confused.gif

Will you guys just fucking drop it...

CK

------------------

I think we all knew that this was coming. Therefore, to me, it is no surprize. I would not wish ANY harm on ANYONE.....except the devil. And Osama Bin Laden IS the devil himself. He has corrupted and brainwashed the minds, of once innocent people, to follow his evil ways. So, while I also wish and pray for peace on earth, I don't believe it will happen unless this evil villan is destroyed. Therefore, I pray for the men and women of America, and all nations, fighting this war on terrizom. May they succeed above and beyond what they are even hoping for. In addition, may the refugees get the food and supplies that they need to sustain them through this crisis. So, Bin Laden...take a bullet, instead of sending your brainwashed army to do it, and then YOU can go to that "Wonderful Afterlife" that you preach to your army about and maybe, just maybe, someone, somewhere will actully believe YOU DIED WITH HONOR.....like Satan. I'm sure he has a nice sport in hell picked out for you. It is only then that the Muslums will be able to live with peace and truly follow their religon, which I don't believe for a second is anything like that which Bin Laden follows.

Back
Top Bottom