Isn't it funny/cute when Bono tries to speak in foreign languages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See, I can make blank posts too.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

The Torino bootleg cracks me up every time, when he sais Genoa, he sais it completely with the wrong accent, then he tries to correct himself and everyone and him kinda laughs! He tried his Italian a lot during that show, too funny!
And yes, SG, Hasta La Vista Baby is a good one too!

It?s funny indeed. He spoke a lot of portuguese during their last Popmart concert in S?o Paulo. Everytime I listen to the bootleg or see the video I think that he put out a lot of effort to communicate with the audience. It?s cool to see that he can pronounce the word "S?o" correctly, it?s kinda tough for foreigners, I mean, the nasal sound of portuguese words ending in "?o".

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

He does this great little Italian speech in San Remo Italy, 2000. The best part is, if you listen to AIWIY, you can hear him say "Um, I had some cards to talk..." The crowd claps after every sentence....maybe they feel sorry for him?
"Grazie mille" (clap clap clap"
"Signore Talema, grazie per la promessa" (clap clap clap)...etc
And I love the way the Italian guy introduces them. "Bow-no eh the Hedge"

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 12-01-2001).]

yeah, I LOVE that San Remo clip. Specially the announcer. lol. "Bwahhhnoo EH the eeedguh"
biggrin.gif
But I think my favorite part is when they give Bono the big coin/medallion and he promptly DROPS it! lmao. Nice save tho...he tries to pass it off as "heads or tails." Gotta love that sense of humor.

-sula

what can we say? bono is a cutey.
smile.gif

------------------
"Revolution starts at home, in your heart, in your refusal to compromise your beliefs and your values." - Bono

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover, then you discover what you thought was freedom is just greed...

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
yeah, I LOVE that San Remo clip. Specially the announcer. lol. "Bwahhhnoo EH the eeedguh"
biggrin.gif
But I think my favorite part is when they give Bono the big coin/medallion and he promptly DROPS it! lmao. Nice save tho...he tries to pass it off as "heads or tails." Gotta love that sense of humor.

-sula

What's this? I've only heard the audio of AIWIY from San Remo. There's more? He drops a coin? On video?

Originally posted by Saracene:
I wonder what his Russian would sound like...

Oh, I'd pay to hear that!

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"True to form, Edge's promise of 'just the one' turns out to mean just the one bottle of vodka." - Q Mag interview

"don't let go, you've got the music in you..."

*snicker* It sounds like Bono is trying to affect a "Bostonian accent" when he says "It's goin' off in tne heart" just prior to I Will Follow on the Boston DVD/CD.

------------------
The core of the show is much more.. like.. you know, going to confession... It's church.

It sure is very, very sweet.
The sad thing is that you never know when he will do it so you are not prepared to hear what he says so when he does, you think he said something in english ad have not a clue what he said, until you realised he spoke swedish, in my case. At the show this summer he only asked how we were doing in swedish and he first said it once, turned to Edge with a grin on his face asking if it was right and Edge just smiles and shakes his head. Then he says it again and everyone cheers him. At the second show he said it once in a while, between songs, just like if he thought it was funny to say, for himself.

Back in 1992 though at the show when Bj?rn and Benny from ABBA played with them. At the end he says "thank you for waiting five years" ( in swedish it's "Tack f?r att ni v?ntat i fem ?r" ) in very, very good swedish, grammatical correct and not hard to understand at all. That was so, so sweet.
smile.gif
But he always speaks with Stockholmaccent and that's an ugly one. LOL

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

In Montr?al, his french was pretty good...

Yes, Russian would be funny; Arabic too!

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Have you ever heard him speak HEBREW??
He does in Popmart Tel-Aviv, and it's so funny!!! I totally cracked up when he did it...
I wonder who gave him those sentences he was saying...
And he didn't just say "Shalom"... he said some complicated stuff! at least for an Irish person...
biggrin.gif

Well Ill just have to go and see U2 in a none English specking country. I live in England but I have only seen U2 once and that was in Ireland at Slane 1 this year. He didn't even speak gaelic which ok I wouldn't of understood most of it and it is legally the first language of his beautiful country but atleast I could say I had heard him live in NONE ENGLISH. Oh well. There's plenty of time to see them again

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
What's this? I've only heard the audio of AIWIY from San Remo. There's more? He drops a coin? On video?

Yep. The audio you've heard it taken from a TV special in Italy where Bono and the Edge are doing something for the Jubilee 2000 campaign. They sign AIWIY and TGBHF. Bono is presented with an award and does his best to communicate in Italian. AND...you guessed it...this clip will be on the video I'm offering for Christmas.
biggrin.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

I wonder, does he practice these little speeches before the show and have people listen to them? My guess is this: Someone somewhere in the U2 underworld says the lines to him through his earpieces and then he repeats them. Just a guess, but often when Bono does speak in a foreign tongue he has a slight pause before he talks. He could just be trying to recollect what it is he is going to say, but who knows...?

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

[This message has been edited by thehepcat (edited 12-02-2001).]

I really need that Italian video, that sounds hilarious! So do they actually perform 2 songs on it? When was this on tv? Where?

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Yep. The audio you've heard it taken from a TV special in Italy where Bono and the Edge are doing something for the Jubilee 2000 campaign. They sign AIWIY and TGBHF. Bono is presented with an award and does his best to communicate in Italian. AND...you guessed it...this clip will be on the video I'm offering for Christmas.
biggrin.gif

-sula

whooo! More incentive!

Originally posted by thehepcat:
I wonder, does he practice these little speeches before the show and have people listen to them? My guess is this: Someone somewhere in the U2 underworld says the lines to him through his earpieces and then he repeats them. Just a guess, but often when Bono does speak in a foreign tongue he has a slight pause before he talks. He could just be trying to recollect what it is he is going to say, but who knows...?

He read his text of a paper taped on a monitor in front of him. He was not funny when he said - Hallo Amsterdam - in Arnhem this tour.

Alles good ? Bono in Berlin.

Read you, Rono.

Back
Top Bottom