Is Vertigo the second most radio-friendly song on HTDAAB???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anirban

Acrobat
An idea just popped into my head... For some reason people at the U2 camp thought it appropriate to release the song to radio/itunes one month before the single release and two months before the album. Do you think U2 has a secret weapon lined up for release close to the album release? Maybe Vertigo is a strong first single that will create buzz ... and then BAM we'll get sycmioyo or md or any of the other songs that will just blow everyone away! This would be a really effective marketing strategy I think...and a very unique one at that. I think most bands try to use their first single as their major marketing tool...but Vertigo has been released so early I wouldn't be surprised if the second single came in 2 or 3 months.

I think Vertigo sells itself. Then the album sells itself. Then Xmas sales. Then a 2nd single in the New Year, but maybe on the radio just before Xmas.

If we were to consider the most recent history/pattern behind the single releases of All That... , then one would see that the second single (Walk On-NA/ Stuck-Rest of World) was commerially released (in our hands) one month before the start of the tour (Feb/2001). I think it is fair to say that this will quite likely happen again this time round. Plus, Vertigo is a strong single. It will easily carry the album to the end of this year.

Oh I agree...Vertigo is strong enough to sell the album. But does anyone remember the time between the Beautiful Day radio release, single release, and ATYCLB release? (I was just trying to make sense of the time lapse...maybe it just seems like a long time between everything)

Anirban said:
Oh I agree...Vertigo is strong enough to sell the album. But does anyone remember the time between the Beautiful Day radio release, single release, and ATYCLB release? (I was just trying to make sense of the time lapse...maybe it just seems like a long time between everything)

Well, the world broadcast premier was August 31st, 2000 (I should know this, my daughter was born that day :D ) and the commerical release of the single was October 9th Eur/ 10th NA. The Album release was October 30th Eur/ 31st NA.

hmm...i guess the current timeline isn't too much different. i think in my head i want a song to be released that turns music upside-down...f@$& up the mainstream if you will! :) although people are REALLY digging vertigo...

Yeah I would think the 2nd single might hit radio by January, video and release in Feb.

Achtung came out in Nov, Fly hit radio at around the same time that Vertigo did and One followed with a video in Feb 92, so I would think along those lines that the 2nd single will defintely be out by Feb. But maybe marketing strategies have changed over the years, one thing is certain, the song will go to radio long before it's "officially" released. Well I say, long before, what I mean is a couple of weeks.

U2 almost always releases their first song about 2 months before the album, though with AB, Mysterious Ways was sent to radio about 2 weeks before the album came out. So there were two songs before the album was released. However, with ATYCLB, it took forever for them to get to the second single, long after the album was out. I would love to hear a second song before the album is out, but also hope that Vertigo does so well that it is not necessary.

I was thinking the same thing as bsp77. I'd like to see the same strategy used as they did with Achtung Baby. They released The Fly (which was supposed to show the new direction that the band had taken) then followed it up with a kicker in Mysterious Ways right when the album was coming out.

This would be a great push to the album to get 2 singles out (especially if the album has 4-5 songs that can be potentially be singles).

Then again, maybe I just want some more b-sides!

Surely the band and their label have an idea by now how many singles this album can pop out. I think this could be a great question to ask The Edge about. Even if we could just have an opinion on how many singles this album is capable of.

Anirban said:
An idea just popped into my head... For some reason people at the U2 camp thought it appropriate to release the song to radio/itunes one month before the single release and two months before the album. Do you think U2 has a secret weapon lined up for release close to the album release? Maybe Vertigo is a strong first single that will create buzz ... and then BAM we'll get sycmioyo or md or any of the other songs that will just blow everyone away! This would be a really effective marketing strategy I think...and a very unique one at that. I think most bands try to use their first single as their major marketing tool...but Vertigo has been released so early I wouldn't be surprised if the second single came in 2 or 3 months.

You're brilliant!

Absofuckinglutely!

It will be Miracle Drug, yes!
Except
I'm hoping that it will help me recover from being blown away by vertigo ...please please please...
so maybe it'll be more 'radio-friendly' but it won't be more blow-me-away I don't think!
It'll blow away those still standing though after vertigo...yeah, that's theticket...it'll get the top40 airplay, after vertigo is done conquering the rock stations...

cheers!

Last edited:
I thought "Elevation" had great single potential, but got lost in the crappy video/modern rock oblivion. Had it been released as the first single it would have done better due to mere hype, then "Beautiful Day" could have complimented the album and still drawn attention (while probably being a slightly lesser 'hit').

That being said I agree that this single is mostly an introduction rather than THE SINGLE. Sorta like "The Fly" was to "Achtung Baby", and hopefully it will spawn several stronger singles in the coming year.

That's not to say "Vertigo" isn't a great song, but it's too hardcore rock for mainstream radio. The second single will most likely blow away "Vertigo'"s standing on the charts and will be aimed at mainstream America.

Danospano said:

That being said I agree that this single is mostly an introduction rather than THE SINGLE. Sorta like "The Fly" was to "Achtung Baby", and hopefully it will spawn several stronger singles in the coming year.

That's not to say "Vertigo" isn't a great song, but it's too hardcore rock for mainstream radio. The second single will most likely blow away "Vertigo'"s standing on the charts and will be aimed at mainstream America.

No question about it. U2 wanted the first single to be an energetic song, to show the world that they are still indeed a relevant rock band. Vertigo is exactly that. The band hasn't played all of their cards yet.

Back
Top Bottom