Is Vertigo in your Top 25?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
So I had a friend at work say "Vertigo is good but it's not in my all-time top 25 U2 songs." I said it was in mine. So he challenged me: make a list of your top 25. Which I did. And it sucked.

Edge said in some thread around here that songs are like children -- you can't pick your favorites. Hell, all I do is listen to the damn things and I felt the same way. Problems with doing this include the fact that the first five songs on Joshua Tree HAVE to be on my list. Then there are alot of songs that barely don't make it -- the No. 26s if you will. I had alot of those. Desire, 11 O'Clock, Stay!, Hold Me Thrill Me. I don't think I included any October songs and only one Zooropa song [Lemon] and the only non-album song I included was A Celebration. But I made room and Vertigo survived somehow.

So I'm not asking for your Top 25 list [we can start another thread for that]. And you don't have to even rank the songs -- 25 songs in any random order. So sit down and make the list. Take into account that you can include ANY song they've done and that you have to put Vertigo at a slight disadvantage because it's new and fresher than some of the classics. And remember that not choosing Vertigo doesn't mean it sucks and you have to disown it. Based on present day now, is it in your Top 25? And what song were relegated to No. 26 to make room for Vertigo?

[and that, my friends, is how to write a long intro to a short question]

it's close but without taking a lot of time and doing the whole list, I would say vertigo is a very, very good song but would be just outside the top 25. there are just too many great songs, and too many things tied to the other songs. i think vertigo is at a disadvantage because it is so new, not the other way around. for example promenade would be in my top 25, partly because i have loved that song for 17 years. thats tough to compete with after just a week of release. very long answer is no it not in the top 25, but not by much.

(this may change once i see it live a few times, that is going to be a killer live song)

jphelmet, you take the words right out of my mouth. It is hard for Vertigo to compete with songs that I have loved for half of my life. Ask me in 10 years if it is in my top 25!

I second that, jphelmet! (and Promenade is in my top 25, no top 5, simply b/c it's one of the best songs ever!)

Vertigo didn't really move me the way a lot of U2 songs do. Maybe I'm just not into the kick-ass ballsy kind of rock everyone's so hyped about. I'm not saying it's not a great song though. It will definitely have to grow on me. Right now I still like Electrical Storm better. I loved that from the first 10 seconds of the first listen! I haven't felt that with Vertigo yet, but it's been a busy week and I got busted by the RIAA so we'll see.

I think in 5-10 years, the new U2 fans who have come in the fold will be saying that Vertigo is one of their favourites because of some emotional attachment, but I think for most of us here, our emotional attachments have already been made with JT/AB/Pop/ATYCLB songs so I think we'd be biased towards them

Different songs for different feelings.

Vertigo is really good - it is at least on par with HMTMKMKM for me. I have trouble ranking songs, all I know is that WOWY is my number one after I heard some of the live performances and a lot of the rest is great. It is ever shifting,

Vertigo is up there with The Fly and Last Night on Earth - it is very good.

sharky said:
So I had a friend at work say "Vertigo is good but it's not in my all-time top 25 U2 songs." I said it was in mine. So he challenged me: make a list of your top 25. Which I did. And it sucked.

Edge said in some thread around here that songs are like children -- you can't pick your favorites. Hell, all I do is listen to the damn things and I felt the same way. Problems with doing this include the fact that the first five songs on Joshua Tree HAVE to be on my list. Then there are alot of songs that barely don't make it -- the No. 26s if you will. I had alot of those. Desire, 11 O'Clock, Stay!, Hold Me Thrill Me. I don't think I included any October songs and only one Zooropa song [Lemon] and the only non-album song I included was A Celebration. But I made room and Vertigo survived somehow.

So I'm not asking for your Top 25 list [we can start another thread for that]. And you don't have to even rank the songs -- 25 songs in any random order. So sit down and make the list. Take into account that you can include ANY song they've done and that you have to put Vertigo at a slight disadvantage because it's new and fresher than some of the classics. And remember that not choosing Vertigo doesn't mean it sucks and you have to disown it. Based on present day now, is it in your Top 25? And what song were relegated to No. 26 to make room for Vertigo?

[and that, my friends, is how to write a long intro to a short question]

without a doubt this is Top 25...remember we've had years to absorb the old tunes...it's too early, it's easy for u all to say you're disappointed, but wait....

Yeah, I've had so many years to become close with all the old songs, and it'll take me some time to figure out where Vertigo stands with me. I know that I really like the song a lot, and it really makes me excited about the album. It makes me feel a certain way about music I haven't felt since ATYCLB came out.

I'm still getting used to it being a new U2 song, too. I haven't fully accepted the fact that it's U2 on that track. It's just weird to hear a new U2 song I don't know all the words to.

There are SO many U2 songs at this point in their careers, it's difficult for me to say whether "Vertigo" will be in my Top 25. In some cases, "Vertigo" is competing against songs I've known and loved for 20+ years! I think it will take at least a year to see if "Vertigo" has moved it's way up.

But I have to say that sometimes a U2 song has worked it's way down (I still enjoy "Discotheque", but not at the level I did in 1997) and some worked their way up - way up (believe it or not, I actually did not like "One" the first few times I heard it...now I adore the song and consider it one of U2's best). Therefore, I'll need time to answer this.

However, I love the hook, Bono's singing and the lyrics so much that I can say I'd put "Vertigo" in my Top 50 - and that's a start!

I've often found that U2's singles that are debuted first from the album are not my favourite. The Fly, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, Discotheque, Numb are all great songs but in my Ultimate U2 CD mixes that I share with friends, those are absent. I opt for more intimate and tense songs like, In A Little While, Trying to throw your arms around the world, Babyface, Love Rescue Me, Trip Through Your Wires, and other songs that U2 do not release. Those are best kept secrets that I share around. The remixes kick ass!
I am one of those fans that you can do a karoake test with me, put any U2 song on and I can lipsynch along with Bono word for word. Any song except J Swallow and Womanfish....can't be right all the time...:wink:

Isn't it all about mood?

My top 25 changes with my mood. If I'm feeling a little down, then songs like One, RTSS, Love is Blindness, Stay, Kite...ect would all be on the list.

On the other hand, if I'm feeling pumped up then some of the slower songs wouldn't be in my top 25.

Right now, I'm into harder music, so Vertigo would definitely be in my top 25. Whether harder songs will be there in a couple months is totally up in the air. There's no way to definitively say "these are my constant top 25 songs" for me, cuz it always changes.

Oh, and by the way, I just created my U2 top 25 list and I hurt my brain REALLY bad. I do not recommend trying this without the proper medication.

As of 10/1/04, Vertigo did not make the list.

Well, Vertigo hit #17 on my top U2-100 this morning. Yes, I'm a dork.:D

It is unknown if it'll go higher or not. More than likely, when the new album comes out a couple of songs will place higher than this one and Vertigo might even begin to slip. As for Beautiful Day, when it came out it debuted at #20 on my list. It is currently #22. Did I say I am a dork already? :wink:

Its too early for me too.

------
Please note: I will purchase a commercial copy of Vertigo as soon as it is available for me to do so

Last edited:
At least as far as 'Vertigo' is concerned, U2 dispensed with the overly slick production values (and occasional contrivances) that, for me, hurt the songs on ATYCLB. It's a better song than anything on ATYCLB with the possible sole exception of the single version of 'Walk On.'

Back
Top Bottom