Is U2 setting themselves up for another period of mocking themselves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone getting a little disconcerted with all the U2 in the news? Bono seems to be more arrogant that ever at times, U2 is absolutley everywhere, it seems they're becoming what they ironically thrust into the spotlight during the ZooTV tour.. Not to mention Bono's proclimation of "Brooklyn...you've just been Jammed!" or something similar to that after finishing Vertigo during the Brooklyn Bridge promo show. I raised an eyebrow there, sounded like Ashton Kutcher....

Could this all be a ploy to lead into another spiral of experimentation and self-mocking? :huh:

Last edited:
i like it that way, i don't see the problem , besides it's not something that happens all the time. It's been 4 years since the last album. And that line "you've just been jammed" everybody say it during the show, the mtv show.

It's all a marketing ploy. When you're in your 40's you need to market yourselves using a different strategy from what the teeny bop acts do, yet you need to make sure you still get the desired end which is to sell a ton of records.

Cheers,

J

what are you referring to when you say bono seems arrogant as ever at times? the band aid controversy? him saying to an audience member "stand up you miserable bastard!"? truth is, i kinda like it when bono's got his ego intact. makes for lively stuff.

I don't mind the media hype or anything, buy Bono does seems to have become very arrogant recently - yeah, I know much of it is an act, but I just don't like it at all.
But you know, the good of Bono far outweighs the bad :)

Canadiens1160 said:
Anyone getting a little disconcerted with all the U2 in the news? Bono seems to be more arrogant that ever at times, U2 is absolutley everywhere, it seems they're becoming what they ironically thrust into the spotlight during the ZooTV tour.. Not to mention Bono's proclimation of "Brooklyn...you've just been Jammed!" or something similar to that after finishing Vertigo during the Brooklyn Bridge promo show. I raised an eyebrow there, sounded like Ashton Kutcher....

Could this all be a ploy to lead into another spiral of experimentation and self-mocking? :huh:

The "you've just been jammed" is the catchphrase that all performers use when they are on the MTV show "Jammed."

As for U2 all over the news...while U2 are marketing themselves very aggressively with the album, U2 are newsworthy anyway because they are so respected by the media in general who are glad to have someone of musical intergrity to report on instead of whatever Eminem is saying this week or who is lip-syncing on tv.

Well, if you aren't looking for Bono or U2 on the TV or in the media, it's very easy to not see him/them. Except for the iPod commercials and the SNL appearance, I've seen very little about them. I don't generally watch much TV and I don't check out most magazines either, so maybe I'm just weird.

Arrogance seems to be the wrong word. I believe Bono and the Gang have taken away the irony of their music, so if anything they'll return to those Popmart days on the next album

blindinglights said:
what are you referring to when you say bono seems arrogant as ever at times? the band aid controversy? him saying to an audience member "stand up you miserable bastard!"? truth is, i kinda like it when bono's got his ego intact. makes for lively stuff.

Band aid - what controversy? There was no controversy - Bono's line convinced Midge Ure over Justin Hawkins'. Only Hawkins had to make a big deal out of it.

Second, I could understand Bono not liking someone sitting down during the band playing. (just remember Larry's angry stare during Desire in Boston!)

i hope you are right, actually. i love U2 when they are in irony mode. AB and Zooropa are my favorite albums and Pop isn't far behind. I like the new album, but if they went into another "90s" phase, I would be very pleased. :up:

sulawesigirl4 said:
i hope you are right, actually. i love U2 when they are in irony mode. AB and Zooropa are my favorite albums and Pop isn't far behind. I like the new album, but if they went into another "90s" phase, I would be very pleased. :up:

And if that produces a spin-off album like Zooropa....all the better!:wink:

I LIKE IT WHEN BONO'S EGO IS INTACT. :up:

I do too - and I don't think he's arrogant (far from it - have you ever met the B-man?).

And IT'S NOT ARROGANCE WHEN YOU'RE RIGHT. (Beautiful)

U2 will do just fine with or without anyone out here that doesn't believe in them.

Thanks for all the POSITIVE SUPPORT for U2!

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

U2girl said:

Band aid - what controversy? There was no controversy - Bono's line convinced Midge Ure over Justin Hawkins'. Only Hawkins had to make a big deal out of it.

If you see the video Alan kindly provided to us, you can see why there was no question as to who the line would go to. Justin was making a mockery of it :| Justin also came out as a complete idiot of himself with all his comments

"do I sound more like Bono than Bono?"

"he sang it when he was my age"

Fool.

And I love Bono because of his personality (ego and all) not in spite of it, so bring it on! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom