Is U2 making music for "white" people only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bathiu

Refugee
I just ran acros this kind of opinion on a diferent (movies) forum.
That U2 is for "white people" only and that "color" people don't... i don't know... "like it"... (?)

What do you think?

/side note/ I appologise if my words are not PC, but english is not my first language and it's not easy to translate everything to PC words for me... I hope I din't offend anyone by calling them "white" or "color"...

Last edited:
I don't know, I think U2 is pretty universal and truthfully nowaday's white people listen to most instrument based music by black artists i.e. the blues while not alot of black people would, so I'm wouldn't be able to give a conclusive answer, one thing I do know is that there are plenty of white and blacj U2's fans and I don't like talking like this, we're all people imo thats it

Last edited:
I have alot of hip-hop and r&b fans that are not white and while they have a world of respect for U2, and Bono in particular, they do not listen to U2 outside of "With or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

In Uncut magazines U2 special edition, rapper Method Man described Discotheque as 'dope'. he said he didn't listen to them other than that though.

bathiu said:
I just ran acros this kind of opinion on a diferent (movies) forum.
That U2 is for "white people" only and that "color" people don't... i don't know... "like it"... (?)

What do you think?

/side note/ I appologise if my words are not PC, but english is not my first language and it's not easy to translate everything to PC words for me... I hope I din't offend anyone by calling them "white" or "color"...

U2's music is for whoever wants to hear it. I don't think they go into the studio deliberately looking to make "whites only" music. It just so happens certain demographics *tend* to like certain types of music. So be it.

Since Africa means so much to Bono, it looks like he would try to incorporate African music into U2. I would love to hear that. And then they could tour Africa instead of the New York's and Paris's of the world. THAT would make a statement, especially to people who think that a band's music reveals its true personality more so than the actual lives of the band members.

music is music and it touches different people in different ways. Regardless of color, if someone can grab something from it than it is all good.

With U2's worldwide fanbase, I would hope that their music is not exclusive to any race.

i always felt non us fans got u2 even more then the us fans did. it seems here that most u2 fans are white, as far as i see, but other places its more varied.

Well, U2 is four white guys who most likely make the music that appeals to them. I don't think they intentionally target one race, but I do think their music tends to appeal to people of similar social and cultural backgrounds.

I think it works that way for most bands/musicians.

:ohmy:

and I thought I was a latin girl... :rolleyes:

I mean... come on!, it doesn't matter if you are black, latino or green or whatever... if you like U2 or not is your choice...

maybe, instead of talking about race, we should talk about culture. And i don't mean "white" or "black" culture, I'm talking about each one's background.

All my life i've been surrounded by sounds from black, white and native roots. I like hip hop, salsa music, Punk, rock.... I give a fuck if they are suposed to "belong to certain races" cuz I found that idea really lame and useless...

Last edited:
Obviously you guys forgot about that black dude dancing in the 'Where The Streets Have No Name' video. He was doing the twist, as a matter of fact.

Obviously, black people love U2.

As do Italians, who like to pump their fists in the air.

-Miggy D

What white musician has a primarly black audience unless they are doing rap...nobody. U2 is no different.

I believe that the people who have blonde hair are the only ones who appreciate U2.even though i have black hair.

ergo,U2 makes blonde music.

Yahweh said:
What white musician has a primarly black audience unless they are doing rap...nobody. U2 is no different.

Agree.

U2's lyrics also don't fit the black demographic. There is a common thread in lyrical themes black artists use, and U2 doesn't use these themes.

U2 doesn't also use the same type of English style. They don't use "ain't" often. Maybe if they made their song "Sometimes You Ain't Gonna Make It On Your Own" -it would appeal more to the blacks.

But on the other side, I don't think you'll see many U2 fanatics in a Jay-Z or Snoop or P.Diddy concert or internet fan forum.

Cheers,

J

I think if you look at concert footage for most of the live concerts you'll tend to see mainly white faces - even in countries with many black people such as USA and UK. Politically incorrect to point this out perhaps but that's the reality unfortunately.

Well, yes and no. As Indra said they are four white European guys so ultimately the music they put out is going to be from that perspective even though they do address themes that are universal.

Also I think music has become quite stratified - Bands like Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Radiohead, etc seem to have largely white audiences while rap music / hip & hop / soul tends to have more of a black audience. There are exceptions of course - Eminem springs to mind.

the soul waits said:
If that's really the case, I have to wonder why because the music and lyrics U2 bring, are pretty universal, no?

But isn't it entirely possible that what you think of as universally appealing lyrics and music is not, in fact, universal?

I mean to me most, if not all, hip hop and rap music (and lyrics) is completely foreign to me. It's just a different cultural upbringing.

Last edited:
i don't think they make music for white people, just mainly white people seem to enjoy it. nothing wrong with that. most of the bands i like have mostly white fans. in fact i remember one time i posted something somewhere else about a concert i went to and mentioned this crazy black guy almost burned me and this girl tried to rip me a new one because i was supposedly racist. i commented that he was black like one would comment that someone's a redhead.

You either get this band or you don't! I'm Mexican- American and believe you me I get this band!!:yes: Doesn't mean that anyone around me gets them. As a matter of fact they don't!:( That's okay though because u2 appeals to u2 fans. I don't think you can or should classify who is a fan. You either get them or you don't. Has nothing to do with the color of skin. I think maybe culture and experiences helps with which type of person listens to them but not skin color. That irrelevant. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom