Is U2 handing the Torch to GreenDay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
When I watch the VH1 documentary from a few years ago when ATYCLBH came out it said in the documentary that the police handed over the role to U2. Is U2 doing the same now and handing it over to Green Day? From watching the covershoot in PLEBA it has both band having the photos taken together. What are your opinions on this?

The "handing over of the torch" by the Police was actually physically symbolized in the handing off of a guitar from the Police to U2. Simply doing a collaboration with Green Day and having pictures taken together doesn't strike me as a passing off of anything. :shrug:

Naw, but U2 does try and buddy up to new, exciting bands -- it helps them stay fresh, stay relevant, and stay on the charts.

They've given props to other emerging bands before... Coldplay, the Strokes, Radiohead, and Lauryn Hill come to mind.

Justin24 said:
When I watch the VH1 documentary from a few years ago when ATYCLBH came out it said in the documentary that the police handed over the role to U2. Is U2 doing the same now and handing it over to Green Day? From watching the covershoot in PLEBA it has both band having the photos taken together. What are your opinions on this?

I believe you're refering to the collaboration between U2 and The Police on "Invisible Sun". In this case, if I'm not mistaken( I haven't seen it but read about it in Until the End of the World), the members of The Police handed off their instruments in the middle of the song because there was some discussion as to whom would close out Live Aid.

Another difference between that event and the U2/Green Day cover is that at the time, while growing in popularity, U2 was still a relatively unknown band to many people. Green Day, on the other hand, have been an established band for a decade and a half and, love them or hate them, they are superstars in their own right. So there is no torch to be passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom