Is U2 considered as Classic Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they play them on the classic rock stations here. to me, classic rock means led zeppelin and the who and the stones. and it bugs the hell out of me because whent hey play u2. they're still putting out music (ok, so are the stones, but who cares about that? it all sounds like watery versions of the old stuff), and it's DIFFERENT.

what's worse is when you hear pearl jam on a classic rock station.

Yes, and what's wrong with that? You don't have to be retired or old to be classic, just GOOD! It's a COMPLIMENT! The Stones, McCartney and some others who are still recording are on there too, so it's good company- the best!!!

My classic rock station plays:

SBS
NYD
Pride
Bad
WOWY
ISHFWILF
Streets
BTBS
Angel of Harlem
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways

I think it's an awesome tribute to the guys and I burst with pride every time I hear them played among the other greats! :wink:

As far as the radio's concerned.....they play them on rock channels here, but I guess Joshua Tree being featured on "Classic Albums" on VH1 counts..right?:shrug:

van halen, white snake and many others have not stood the test of time and theyre still played on radio. :down:

u2 is classic rock, i agree. i guess thats a compliment, its certainly not a put down of any sort. its more of a neutral statement to me, really.

Classic is definitely a complement..... but some of the classic rock stations seem to think that they can put on anything from the 60s and 70s and call it classic, just because it's old!

The only U2 song I've ever head on my local classic rock station is New Year's Day.

I don't see why U2 shouldn't be considered classic rock right now. They have been around more than 20 years and they have certainly stood the test of time.

Well, in different mouths "classic rock" may mean "music that stands the test of time" or "boring old dinosaurs".

I've also seen people use "classic rock" to describe the rock music that was made during a certain period, probably up to the punk explosion, so in that sense U2 is not "classic rock" because they came much later.

There's a classic rock station not too far from me in Washington, D.C. who have been playing them for quite a long time. It's stuff like New Years Day, With or Without You, Bullet the Blue Sky, Pride, etc. They have these weekends of nothing but U2 music. They also have lots of contests to win stuff from U2. This girl won Bono's jacket last year. Not too bad, lol. Now I'm just rambling...

:dance:

arw9797 said:
I hear U2 on all types of radio stations. Depends on the song.

same here I have actually even heard U2 on a country radio station too. Not a diss or anything bad it just surpises me sometimes to hear them on a country radio station.

the american heritage definition of classic:
"of highest rank or class; serving as the
established model or standard."

if radio wants to put U2 into that category,
we, as fans, should be quite proud.

bayernfc said:

so you know what i'm talking about .....:sexywink:

btw, do you know of any nice T.O stations that play U2...(or any decent music for that matter:D)?

Hmmm..decent radio stations...so hard to find ;)

let's see. We have Q 107. Also 107.9 (Hamilton Classic Rock, I think?). They play a bit of U2.

Um, 97.7. Not a lot of U2 but definetly some older rock stuff.

102.1 Pee Hedge (or The Edge, if you will). New stuff. They play U2 every so often. Lately they've been throwing in some live rare stuff which is nice. But if they Linkin Park one more time I'll shoot Dean Blundell between the eyes.

99.9/104.5 - Occasional U2. WOWY, BD, One. Rarely. 99.9 is better though.

Um, 92.9 (I THINK) from Buffalo. They ALWAYS play Streets. Literally, like once a day. Kinda like 97.7 - they're quite good.

103.3 - Another Buffalo station. Actually, someone told me to listen to this one, but the signal keeps picking up interference from 103.5 (crap dance music station :barf:) so I've yet to see.

That's all I have in my car...but I'm a compulsive radio changer anyway. I swear I spend more time flipping stations than actually listening to music!
:wink:

Classic rock is any songs that are 10 years old or older. That's why you hear certain Pearl Jam or Nirvana songs on classic rock stations sometimes, because some of their songs are 10 years old.

That being said, yeah, I've heard U2 on classic rock stations before.

Actually, a lot of people in the record business and all that would consider U2 more "alternative" than classic rock (even to this day), but you still hear them on the classic rock stations.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Actually, a lot of people in the record business and all that would consider U2 more "alternative" than classic rock (even to this day), but you still hear them on the classic rock stations.

Angela

Really? I'm european and didn't think that America considered it more alternative than classic rock.
Here in Italy U2 is so HUGE...you can often listen to it on mainstream radio stations, it's considered one of those few bands that have make the history of music, it's on the same league of Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.
I wonder how it's possible that a lot of americans still consider it alternative after U2 has sold about 50 million records in the States, 2 of its singles have reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 (WOWY and ISHF) and a bunch of its songs have been top 10 hits (Desire, Mysterious Ways, One, Discoteque and Beautiful Day would had been it if it was released as a single), after Pride SBS and the streets have been unanimously considered as classic rock tunes at least here in Europe, after it has played at the Superbowl, after it has been on the TIME's cover in 1987 and Bono has been on it again last year, after U2 has won 14 Grammy Awards....!!!
I really can't understate that....:confused:

P.S.:Sorry for my english:angel:

Last edited:
They're still considered alternative because they've done practically almost every type of music genre-and here in the U.S. we have formats for our stations-don't know if that's common in Europe, but here, in the U.S., a lot of stations don't really know where to put U2, because they could fit on a lot of stations. They put them on the classic rock stations because songs from Zooropa on back through to their early stuff are old enough to fit on there...but some people still see them as alternative because of that reason.

That and the fact that, especially with their early stuff, it was different from a lot of what you heard on the radio here in America. Achtung Baby, even though it's one of their later albums, is a good example of how their music could still be looked at as alternative, because it was really different from a lot of what was being heard on the radio here in America.

Angela

I think it's great the U2 is played on classic stations. They've been around for over 20 years so it stands to reason that their music would be on them. They are also played on the "variety" stations, pop stations, alternative stations. I think that's fantastic. You wouldn't hear most of the "artists" out there today on such a variety of stations.

Another way of looking at u2's versatility is who covers them...modern rock, techno, christian rock,country,americana,hard rock....

i don't think classic rock should be applied as a definition or label for a band. i think it's more fitting for a song. U2 are not a classic rock band, they're a current rock group that still produces music. however U2 do have songs that can clearly be defined as classic rock as their catalog of music goes back 23+ years.

Here we don't have as many radio station profiles; there is a lot of commercial stations (playing mostly pop, hip hop, dance with some rap) and there's "adult" stations (playing mainstream pop rock music old and new), there's a special station playing classical music and there's a station that plays lots of classic 40s, 50s, 60s music, jazzy things, rock...NO dance or hip hop/RnB/rap(I haven't heard U2 in that particular station though).

It's hard to define U2's music since they tried so many different styles over time. I'd call them a guitar band rather than a typical rock band because they use less solos and riffs than usual/most rock bands.

U2girl said:
I'd call them a guitar band rather than a typical rock band because they use less solos and riffs than usual/most rock bands.

Which is exactly why Edge is usually not thought of when people talk about great guitarists-he rarely does the long guitar solos that a lot of the guitar greats do often in their songs. Which is a shame, because he IS a great guitarist.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom