Is Travis similar to a young U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seconds

The Fly
What do you guys think of Travis? I've downloaded some of their songs, and I'm going to buy their 3 albums. Anyone know how really good they are? I've heard great reviews on them, but do they have what it takes to be a great band?

By great band I don't mean just popularity, but meaningful music, lyrics, guitar riffs, great rock songs, great ballads, innovation. In other words U2.

In one word, no. BUT -- if there is any young band in the world today that does have that potential, it is Travis, and possibly even Coldplay (too early to tell on Coldplay though; the new album's coming soon, and the producer is Steve Lillywhite...I digress...)

------------------
The Tempest

I think they've shown flashes of brilliance, but don't think they've made their best record yet. They don't compare to a young U2 for me because they're sound is influenced mostly the Beatles and mid 90's brit pop at the moment, particularly Bends era Radiohead. U2 kind of developed their own sound based on their limited capabilities at the time. U2 just seemed much fresher then than Travis does now. Only time will tell if they'll become a great band, but I think they've got terrific potential.

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
(too early to tell on Coldplay though; the new album's coming soon, and the producer is Steve Lillywhite...I digress...)

Coldplay?! New album?!! YAY! I *love* Coldplay and I have been wondering when their next album would be coming out!! So, when approximately is "soon"?

Nobody is like U2. They're the real thing.

But Travis is really good, I loveth them.

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

They nothing like a young U2, U2 were full of energy, just raw energy when they started off, Travis are drab in my opinion, but they are a good band, with plenty of talent, but not exactly firey, even walked away from a performance of theirs at a festivel here cos they were.....drab.

Young U2? If anyone, then JJ72 maybe, don't really like them either though....

Travis is a great young band. Not necessarily U2ish in any way, but definitely worth checking out.

btw, lazyboy, I am surprised to hear you walked off during one of their shows. I saw them open for someone and they were GREAT! In fact, I walked out during the main act after Travis because they weren't as good.
biggrin.gif

Ah I had my reasons Sula, it was cold
tongue.gif
Well, nah, just not exactly a big fan, and me and my mates wanted to see another act playing at the same time, Travis were the headliners though, but heard from many who stayed through it that they were pretty crap, although they did have to come on after BECK!! And he had the crowd exhausted!!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

btw, lazyboy, I am surprised to hear you walked off during one of their shows. I saw them open for someone and they were GREAT! In fact, I walked out during the main act after Travis because they weren't as good.
biggrin.gif

Yea, Dido sucks. That was a great Travis show though! I saw them a second time when I snuck in, and got kicked out. But I do have Fran's sock, so what do I care?

As far as Travis being U2ey? Nah, I don't think so, they're good in a different way. If you like Travis though, you should check out Doves and Ours. Both fabulous.

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

I think TRAVIS is the band that carries the freshness, required to become the giants of business.By that I mean mainstream,I mean they seem ok with popularity and all and have that U2ish attitude of taking their records to their audience (kind of thing).Plus they dont mind the chart success as well.I am sure they'll soon learn to pay the price for that.

Now coming back to the musical side.Without a doubt, Fran Healy has one of the greatest voices on the scene.In my books, its second only to Bono.The band has this unique ability to add extra bite in their live set.So they have the DNA per se.

I think all they need to do is take 30-40% more risk than they are taking now.I mean on their last album the first 6 songs are aweosme, but then the album becomes a bit too predictible.Y'know all the songs have almost same tempo and quite similar melody lines.They need to make things more diverse as on the last part of the "The Man Who".

But all said and done, its a long way to go and I hope they go the long way.

"for the love you bring, wont mean a thing, unless you Sing,Sing,Sing...Sing"

BTW my fave is Turn.

------------------
In this Ozland

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 03-18-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom