Is this worth renting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2dork

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was checking out the new releases on Netflix and saw this. I've never heard of it. Has anyone seen it?

Bono: God's Favorite Son (2004)

Experience the man behind the music with this documentary about influential rocker (and U2 front man) Bono. Touching on all parts of Bono's life, the film chronicles his early years in Ireland and his first meetings and practice sessions with his band mates to their rise to fame and the massive success U2 has enjoyed over the years. Relying heavily on exclusive footage and never-before-seen photos, it tells the whole story of God's Favorite Son.

They shulda named it God's NATIVE son, mwahaha, corny jokes rule!

I checked Blockbuster, and there's no record of it. But Amazon has a few copies.

I wonder if Bono approves of that title?

I've never heard of it. What a presumptuous title :uhoh: it will only give his detractors more reasons to diss him and he didn't even do it :sigh:

I've put this in my queue, so I guess I'll find out what it's all about. It's only ranked with 2.5 stars. It looks totally unofficial and yeah the title really sucks but it's only an hour long. I just would hate to waste my time on stuff I've already seen elsewhere. I'll give a review after I've seen it.

**um, looks like most of y'all will beat me to it as there's a long wait for it now...

Last edited:
ah yes i've seen it....i think it's really hard to make a documentary (or a book) about Bono that's as fascinating as he is. Maybe the film just needs the right director....I think one of the French new wave directors would have done a good job....at any rate

to quote my hero dorothy parker, "this is not a [film] to be tossed aside lightly. it should be thrown in the trash with great force."

tennispunk said:
i should add that this documentary didn't tell me anything about bono that i didn't already know from other interviews, books, magazine articles, etc....i think most of you would agree. if i were less of a U2 media nut, i may have found it more interesting.

I watched this earlier this evening and I have to agree with this statement.

Indeed, this DVD is from the same people who brought us maximum U2 and U2 x-posed, totally unauthorized -no surprise there. It consists of video clips and random interviews of 'The Man' (mostly JT-era), as well as interviews from Gerry Ryan, Dave Fanning and Chas de Whalley. Also interviewed are a teacher from Mt. Temple and various people affiliated with Jubilee, War Child and Greenpeace. All of these people (well, except Fanning) seem to be over-the-top in their praise of Bono.
The thing that bothered me about this film is the way these interviews were presented. The comments all seem to make Bono, singularly, the most important member of the band, which we all know is not the case.
There were some interesting interview clips I hadn't seen before, but again, the statements made in the interviews were not very revealing.
So, I rate this DVD a solid "Eh" with a :| thrown in.

Back
Top Bottom