Is this U2's last chance of reaching out a wide audience? (Bono's getting old) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 06:26 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Is this U2's last chance of reaching out a wide audience? (Bono's getting old)

I think Bono already looks kind of old (at least in some pics/videos) but at least they managed to make him look good in the official vertigo video. But if the next album comes in another 4 years, then how will their style be? Will they look too old? How you look counts and it might be the distinguishing mark between what the rolling stones are for instance (old rockers) and what U2 are (contemporary rockers). And then will it be the time that they will no longer attract new fans?

Old 11-23-2004, 06:30 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:29 AM
As long as their music is still good, who cares?

Old 11-23-2004, 06:32 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Many people though U2 were "old rockers" back in ATYCLB, and reviewers liked that album, plus it did well commercially.

The general impression is HTDAAB is better, so I wouldn't fear about their music.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
Refugee

Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Hey Jick why are you posting as voxson?

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 11-23-2004, 06:58 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Normal

Man, that's really rude! If anyone would be so shallow as to judge a band and their music by how old they look, they're not the kind who'd appreciate quality music anyway, so who gives a flying fuck? U2 will always have an audience, a big one, remember at least half their fan base is ALSO OLD and there are a lot of young people who don't care about age. You can see from this forum new fans, young fans are coming in all the time.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:06 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Mr. Voxson,

I take offense to your thread title. You have stolen my writing style, particularly my method of formulating titles for "post subject." I already own patents to the phrases "U2's last chance" and "Bono's getting old." And just for your reference, I also own patents for the following phrases, among others:

"Clayton's a hack"
"Flopmart"
"the end of U2"
"corporate sellout"
"Bono's publicity stunts"
"U2 marketing gimmicks"
"Bono's scripted sincerity"
"the logical end of U2"
"the POP fiasco"
"the POP debacle"
"U2 and Bon Jovi: Not Too Far Apart"

I reserve the right to use any of those phrases for future titles of threads I may start in this forum so be forewarned. I would like to request that you cease and desist from using a writing style of which I am already a U2 Forum Patent Holder of. Otherwise, I may be constrained to file charges against you for plagiarism and moral damages. I hope you will be more original next time in selecting your subject headings, as it would pain me to make you suffer from the expenses and embarrassment of litigation.

Cheers,

J
Old 11-23-2004, 07:38 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Man, that's really rude! If anyone would be so shallow as to judge a band and their music by how old they look, they're not the kind who'd appreciate quality music anyway, so who gives a flying fuck? U2 will always have an audience, a big one, remember at least half their fan base is ALSO OLD and there are a lot of young people who don't care about age. You can see from this forum new fans, young fans are coming in all the time.

Well said U2Kitten.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:20 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:29 AM
I think people are justing looking for good tunes right now. The music industry needed a solid rock album alot of people could relate to. Who cares what U2 looks like? They are still making relivant music at 25 years into their career. Hell, there making some of the best music in their careers. Bono will get older and the band will play less, but lets enjoy U2 for the moment now and not worry about what Bono will look like.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
Refugee

I would not call U2 old. I call them seasoned. They are aging like a fine wine. I think the wrinkles, grey hair, or in Edge's case, lack of hair, adds to U2's appeal and character. They are still making relevant music that slips right into my blood stream and becomes a part of me.

My favorite musicians, actors, writers, etc. are all people who are in their thirties, forties and beyond. I do not see the appeal of young whippersnappers like Ashton Kutcher, Lindsay Lohan, or Justin Timberlake, and I can't even imagine liking them if I was in the "tweener" demographic.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by jick
Mr. Voxson,

I take offense to your thread title. You have stolen my writing style, particularly my method of formulating titles for "post subject." I already own patents to the phrases "U2's last chance" and "Bono's getting old." And just for your reference, I also own patents for the following phrases, among others:

"Clayton's a hack"
"Flopmart"
"the end of U2"
"corporate sellout"
"Bono's publicity stunts"
"U2 marketing gimmicks"
"Bono's scripted sincerity"
"the logical end of U2"
"the POP fiasco"
"the POP debacle"
"U2 and Bon Jovi: Not Too Far Apart"

I reserve the right to use any of those phrases for future titles of threads I may start in this forum so be forewarned. I would like to request that you cease and desist from using a writing style of which I am already a U2 Forum Patent Holder of. Otherwise, I may be constrained to file charges against you for plagiarism and moral damages. I hope you will be more original next time in selecting your subject headings, as it would pain me to make you suffer from the expenses and embarrassment of litigation.

Cheers,

J
Old 11-23-2004, 09:42 AM   #11
War Child

Old? OLD??? I take great offence with your remarks! You must be a kid who thinks 30 is old.

Prove me wrong.

You are as young is you feel. I wonder how you would feel if you were their age and someone wanted to send you out to pasture.

Sheesh!
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 11-23-2004, 10:17 AM   #12
The Fly

Look at the rolling stones, they are how much older than U2? And they are still one of the best live bands out there.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Jick is a hack
Old 11-23-2004, 10:23 AM   #14
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Freedman
Old? OLD??? I take great offence with your remarks! You must be a kid who thinks 30 is old.

Prove me wrong.

You are as young is you feel. I wonder how you would feel if you were their age and someone wanted to send you out to pasture.

Sheesh!
No kidding! Bono is only 5 years older than me for crying out loud! Does that mean I'm almost old too?

What do looks have to do with the ability to make great music anyway?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #15
Refugee

C'mon there's a point to this post. U2 are not getting any younger. While nothing is pointing to them slowing down or the quality suffering, they are getting older in younger music fans eyes. A lot of these young fans cannot relate to U2, some will grasp it but the majority of young music fans are more interested in who Eminem is dissing and what Beyonce is wearing. They weren't around for Live Aid and a DVD won't clue them in to the power of that performance. A lot of them weren't around or old enough to appreciate the magnitude of the Joshua Tree and what it did to the music world. A lot of them weren't around or old enough to appreciate Achtung Baby and how innovative it was at the time.

U2 are my favorite band, but the days of bands carrying over and gaining new fans the way say The Beatles do/did won't happen anymore especially when the band's members are all pushing 40 or over. Everything is decentralized and categorized into so many genres and sub-genres its sad. Too many people will not listen to something simply because of the label or genre.

The unfortunate fact is that the pop music scene in general today is not focused on music but more on image and sales. There's definitely a lot of pop music that is innovative but a lot of it is vacuous crap with no substance or staying power.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:44 AM   #16
Acrobat

Everyone's jumping on voxson for saying U2 are getting old, but you know, it is true. In pop music terms.

With each passing album, U2 are getting older than the primary music-purchasing market. Of course, we will all grow older with U2 and be fans as they get older. But for younger people, especially teenagers, when is their age going to be too much of a hurdle to overcome? A just-over-40 year old band is one thing, but what about an almost-50-year-old band? Are their sales going to drop off due to being perceived as old and out of touch?

Those are valid questions everybody. Don't jump on voxson for simply pointing this out.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:29 AM
U2 getting Old?!

Does anyone feel that way about the Rolling Stones? Or Paul McCartney? I don't think so, and those guys are almost geriatric! They're classic, vintage. They're the kinds of things that never go out of style!
How many of us still like to rock out to old 80's pop tunes, but think it's too cheesy to admit? Probably way more than ya'd think. Granted, I am sure they will hang up their hats/mic/drumsticks/pics before people start questioning their relevance or whatever, but it is much, much too soon. Forty-something is still very young, really. But when that day comes, I fear there will be a lot of grieving globally
Old 11-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #18
Refugee

Re: U2 getting Old?!

Quote:
Originally posted by 4EVRU2
Does anyone feel that way about the Rolling Stones? Or Paul McCartney? I don't think so, and those guys are almost geriatric! They're classic, vintage. They're the kinds of things that never go out of style!
How many of us still like to rock out to old 80's pop tunes, but think it's too cheesy to admit? Probably way more than ya'd think. Granted, I am sure they will hang up their hats/mic/drumsticks/pics before people start questioning their relevance or whatever, but it is much, much too soon. Forty-something is still very young, really. But when that day comes, I fear there will be a lot of grieving globally
You still dont get it. These artists (Macca and the Stones) dont generate the new fans anymore. There will ALWAYS be fanbases for these bands and sure there are occasions where a young person will latch on to these artists.

Even still I know plenty of young people who love the Beatles but cant stand Macca these days because they cannot relate to them.

U2 is the same as these artists. Young people cannot relate to them even now, theres always exceptions but as U2 gets older the majority of their fans do as well.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #19
Refugee

When U2 starts making albums that gon't go anywhere like the Stones from about 1980 onwards, that is the time to worry...right now, to me, they seem energised and purposeful, creating some of the best songs of their career...Macca and the Stones weren't matching their best work whn they were 40-44 sort of age.. and lets not forget U2 are VERY popular in terms of album sales right now, they don't rely on greatest hits tours.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #20
The Fly

Re: U2 getting Old?!

Quote:
Originally posted by 4EVRU2
I think Bono would be terrified of turning into what Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones are. They are larger than life artist that for the most part are confined to their past greatness. Paul McCartney has especially not released a truely earthshattering album since his days with Wings. The Rolling Stones haven't exactly changed the landscape of music since around that time either.

Meanwhile U2 is trying to stay fresh and relevant. If you look at the progression from Boy to HTDAAB you get a band that has the relevance of David Bowie. Sure Bowie could be slugging around playing Ziggy Stardust in drag still and he'd be one of the biggest artist around but he's trying to reinvent the wheel.

The point is not if Bono has a few more wrinkles. It's U2 becoming the Rolling Stones where they release an album that all their fans eat up and then have a huge tour and then rinse and repeat and no one outside of their fans really cares. Age has absolutely nothing to do with it contintment does.

As I've said before the next album better be the sound of four guys setting off the atomic bomb whatever that sound may sound like. Hopefully it will sound nothing like what they've done before.