Is this U2's last chance of reaching out a wide audience? (Bono's getting old)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who gives a shit what they look like!!
They are rock stars not fuckin popstars, they don't need to rely on their looks to sell their music!!
Who do you think bono is britney 'fuckin' spears?

good news! i just found out from someone that the album has arrived here!! of course the next thing i know, i am at the cash register and being handed by atomic album! what a great day!:wink: :applaud:

someone sent me mps of 4 songs : vertigo, miracle drug, sycmioyo, yahweh and i easily fell in love with these songs.
now after listening to the real thing, lapoe and oots and osc have been added to my fave songs in the album and which makes this indeed a significant one. i usually average 3 to 4, jt and atyclb being two of them. that means the band is far from the 2 crap albums and we fans have a lot to look forward to. :wink:

Also consider that Coldplay are slow, boring and ugly, and they aren't even 30 yet! :p

At least U2 aren't like the Rolling Stones..

For years the Stones have been banging out the same old songs without releasing anything new..

U2 have continuously produced new and challenging material. They may be getting older, but their music hasn't gone stale

The Stones are always releasing new stuff, it's just not that good so it doesn't get much attention. I have even lost count of their new records in the last 20 years (not counting greatest hits) And in the case of the Stones, they are now in their 60's, retirement age for ANY job! They've had a good run. They have nothing to be ashamed of if they never write or record a new song in their lives. Even if they end up in Vegas in their 80's, it will have been a career well spent. I don't see what's so bad about ending up like the Stones. Many bands have done much worse.

Anyone who would reject U2 because they look "old" is a shallow idiot who probably wouldn't appreciate good music if it hit them in the face.

amniar said:

The Beatles are relevant and one of their members has been dead nearly 24 years.

The point is that good music is what we remember 20-25 years down the line. How many of today's songs will be remembered as brilliant songs? A few, and that's how it should be. Most will be forgotten, or at least until someone plays them and we all go "ooh, remember this song? I remember when this came out and I was doing this and that... isn't she married to wotisname these days? Didn't she have a drug overdose?" and so on.

U2 are trying to do something relevant and lasting. It's a tricky combination. We won't know if they've succeeded for another 15 years.

You can't compare U2 and the Beatles, there is no comparison. The Beatles revolutionized everything and not just musically. They were culturally relevant as much so if not more so than musically. The only member of U2 that has any impact culturally is Bono and it's very minimal in comparison. To stretch it even further, regardless if Lennon has been dead 24 years the band has been disbanded for 34 years, and they still have #1's.

I'm not saying that U2 will not be remembered or people won't buy their records, but come on now the Beatles and U2 are light years apart from each other. No one will ever come close to the relevance of acts like the Beatles or Bob Dylan (his writing more than anything). U2's music hasn't aged as well as the Beatles, some of it is timeless but on a whole a lot of U2's music is not.

The Beatles stay relevant because of the impact they had on the entire world and because of how much influence they created musically. Same goes for Led Zeppelin on a much smaller scale.

Miggy D said:
Bono has really aged horribly from 1994-2004. I remember in 2001 when U2 was everywhere, and touring and whatnot, my friend asked me how old Bono was and I said 41 and he said 'are you kidding? He looks so much older.' I couldn't disagree with him. I don't know if it was the smoking or just the unhealthy lifestyle or what, but Bono looks much older than a man his age should look. Look around at other people his age - George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise...they look mature but not the same age as Bono, which indeed they are. When B-man was 40 he looked 50 and he looks even older now. The Edge has aged really well, Larry...well that's an obvious one, and even Adam, who looked 40 when he was 30, has basically continued to look 40ish for the past 10 or so years, so that's fine. But Bono, man. Not sure what went wrong, there.
-Miggy D

maybe he's not that vain or conscious enuf of his looks. also he has other things to worry about when he is not with the band. maybe his other day job is just as strenuous. dont think he would really think about his looks when he is in africa visiting AIDS orphans and patients. in other words, it would be unfair to compare him to tom cruise, brad and george. obviously they are in the business for their looks and had to take good care and spend fortune i believe on this. i think it was jacko who said something like if you are going to count people in this business who has not undergone some kind of enhancement, then hollywood would be a ghost town. now, if bono wants to "keep his good looks" he could go probably do some botox treatment but again i suppose that is the least of his concerns because he is into perfecting his crap and yeah do the other day job... saving the world. now that's not exactly a glamorous job , right?

Just been reading ceefax's music letters page (page number 532) and a 14 year old wrote how great the new album is and that (s)he's going to start saving up to buy the rest of their albums. At least its showing U2 can still win over new young fans, especially if their saving up their pocket money to but albums from decades past.

Daveone said:
Just been reading ceefax's music letters page (page number 532) and a 14 year old wrote how great the new album is and that (s)he's going to start saving up to buy the rest of their albums. At least its showing U2 can still win over new young fans, especially if their saving up their pocket money to but albums from decades past.

Ahh, that really got me. Now that is one smart 14 year old. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom