IS THIS TRUE: THERE WAS NO U2 IN MSG SHOW DUE TO A DEATH THREAT TO BONO BY AL KHAEDA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I found the article on the teletext of VIVA tv. Here's a rough translation.

-The Irish newspaper "Sunday Mirror" reports U2 didn't perform at Madison Square Garden due to a death threat to Bono by Bin Laden's Al Khaeda terrorist organisation. The reason: Bono stood up publicly for Aaron Cohen, who accused Sudan of trading with slaves."

------------------
"That's why i still love playing live in a rock'n'roll band. There's just this feeling of this thing could just about do anything..." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 10-23-2001).]

Sounds way too far fetched. They haven't singled anyone out for a death threat, so I'd seriously doubt out of the thousands of proper political/military 'enemies' they could pick, they'd pick a rock star. Seriously.

Was this seriously in a newspaper? Even a British tabloid?

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
Sounds way too far fetched. They haven't singled anyone out for a death threat, so I'd seriously doubt out of the thousands of proper political/military 'enemies' they could pick, they'd pick a rock star. Seriously.

True, but on the other hand, why would they (the journalists) make up such a story? For publicity and more sales of the newspaper?
That is just sick...

I don't know what to think of this story.

------------------
"That's why i still love playing live in a rock'n'roll band. There's just this feeling of this thing could just about do anything..." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 10-23-2001).]

True or not, should we be so surprised? Bono has more hot air than a hot air balloon. All his political spouting had to come back on him one day. And before you all get pissed of, I am sympathetic if its true. But honestly, Bono doesn't keep his trap shut about much does he?

back when they changed directions for zootv it wasn't just the press and public who were getting tired of "serious" u2. his little rants against the ira have caused some stirrs in that organization. probably the only reason he hasn't been targeted by the ira, real ira, or more radical movements in ireland is b/c they know damn well public opinion would fall w/ bono and not them.

re: al quaeda. blah. i think that's full of shit. they've got bigger and badder things to do than target bono. plus, read zoomanda's post....it was an anthrax threat at his kid's school.

here's a little piece of advice u2girl. any paper that has "mirror" as part of it's title...take what it says w/ a grain of salt. if the irish mirror is anything like the english mirror, than it's a tabloid, which i think it is.

------------------
I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me.

Maja wrote:

True, but on the other hand, why would they (the journalists) make up such a story? For publicity and more sales of the newspaper?

Yes, it does sound heartless and crazy but newspapers will make up any crock of shit without even an ounce of truth to support it...

You know I actually buy this more than the 'anthrax' story. Reasons, as stated in the other thread:
The "LAST MINUTE" thing: It was NOT a last minute decision. U2 knew Friday afternoon when they met fans outside Baltimore Arena they would not be at the show because they told them. The 'we're sorry we can't come' message was recorded Friday night, Rebecca Rankin of VH-1 said so. Also, there is no school on Sat, and if it was that serious he would have gone right home on Fri. He seemed in very good spirits at the Baltimore show. I haven't heard about any Anthrax in Ireland.

I do believe those wackos would target Bono, also he's friends with Rushdie. The Al Khaeda has also promised death to Bush, old man Bush, Tony Blair, Bill Clinton and the PM of Israel. Bono is friends with Clinton and Blair. This is not as outrageous as it seems.

It's a shame U2 couldn't be at the NY concert with all those other legendary stars. Whatever their reason, I'm sure it was a good one.

If Bono gets threats from Al-Qaeda, then he's in the TOP 10 of most important people on earth or the Al-Qaeda has a very bad music tatste.

------------------
ALL THIS THAT

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
True or not, should we be so surprised? Bono has more hot air than a hot air balloon. All his political spouting had to come back on him one day. And before you all get pissed of, I am sympathetic if its true. But honestly, Bono doesn't keep his trap shut about much does he?

I was about to say excacly the same thing.

------------------

Got to walk out of here, I can't take anymore
Gonna stand on that bridge, keep my eyes down below
Whatever may come and whatever may go
that river's flowing

"Don't Give Up", Peter Gabriel

Bono fucking rocks - let him keep rocking. Take his own advice.

"Dont believe what you hear - don't believe what you see".

Peace.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

I have not seen anything official about a death threat/fatwa on Bono, but I did read of one on Cohen on either Mtv or VH1's site, as Mr. Cohen is Perry Ferrell's "spiritual advisor" (I think they are both Jewish) and the 2 of them were organizing a Jubilee festival in Israel during the next Passover, which I would assume is at best shaky now. A Sudan Al Qaeda group has indeed issued a "fatwa" against Mr. Cohen.

I strongly disagree with the belief that Bono should keep his trap shut.

Even though I disagree with him on some political issues, he is one of the best and most visible activists out there, and voices like his are crucial in reaching our generation to make the world a better place, and most of it isn't "hot air."

~U2Alabama

First of all, it has already been reported that Aaron was threatened. Someone probably jumped to conclusions from there. And if this death threat is the reason for the cancellation, why haven't they cancelled any other shows? Why come to NYC this week?

Second, from what I've heard about the anthrax case, Bono's daughter was shaken by an anthrax scare at her school and wanted her dad home. What girl wouldn't want her dad in that situation and what father wouldn't go to his daughter if she needed him?

Whatever the issue, the band thought it was important enough that they decided to pull out of a show that they wouldn't have pulled out of normally. I respect them for that and I'm glad they're still going to be here in NYC tomorrow.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Back
Top Bottom