Is this True???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RademR

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
(10-13-2004) Eno Lets Bono Speak to the Pope -- contactmusic*
Eno Lets Bono Speak to the Pope

Ed. Note: This is the first we have heard of Brian Eno working on the new album. With him on board, that brings the producer count to four, including Chris Thomas, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite.

Legendary producer BRIAN ENO erupted in anger when a phone call interrupted the sessions for the new U2 album, but allowed the call to be put through to frontman BONO when he found out it was POPE JOHN PAUL II on the line.

Eno, who twiddled the knobs on upcoming disc HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB, had issued strict instructions that no telephone calls be allowed for a week while he worked with the Irish band.

But Eno swiftly backtracked on his own rule when he found out who the caller was.

U2 manager PAUL McGUINESS says, "When an assistant interrupted one of the sessions Brian exploded, but did eventually calm down when he was told the Pope was on hold."

--contactmusic

I just got this off the main page but had to repost this here because its kind of big news. Is this a joke??? I mean, I thought we would have heard about Eno by now. If its true, it kind of changes things, now we know where "One Step Closer" and its passengers-like sounds came from.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Eno did a little something something with the album. Now the Pope story seems a little far fetched...

thats what has me beleiving its all made up and hes not part of the production team.

As I wrote in the U2 News section, it sounds to me like someone is recycling an ATYCLB era story. Back then, I read many stories about the Pope calling Bono while recording. And, as we all know, Eno was a producer on that album.

However, as pointed out in the article, this is the first we've heard of Eno doing any producing on this album. And Lanois spent, at best, a week helping U2. Given that Bono had visited the Pope back in 2000 (thus accounting for why the Pope might be calling Bono), and given that Eno produced back then, this could very well be a recycled story. If not, I guess it's a case of deja vu. ;)

That story was around for the ATYCLB sessions, I think they've got there albums mixed up there.

figured. would think that was the case. If there was such a huge producer like eno, we definetly would heard of it by now.

i wonder how the phone convo went:

Pope: Yo, Bono?
Bono: Sup, P.
Pope: Wurd.
Bono: Wurd.
Pope: Whatchoo Doing B-Man
Bono: Just recording, layiing down some dope beats, P.
Pope: I just put some phat rims on the Pope Mobile.
Bono: Wurd up P. Rollin' in style.
Pope: Yaaaaaaa.
Bono. Wurd.
Bono, Eno is being a little bitch, P. So I gotz to get off da phizone and go lay down my vocal track for this dope album. It's gunna drop soon.
Pope: Wurd, bless ya my chizild.
Bono; Wurd.

Re: Re: Is this True???

chocky said:

I'm sure Adam was quoted giving Brian credit for some bass work on one of the Bomb tracks. It was in one of the main album reviews like NME.

ya, but I do believe that was on L&P, which started from the last album. Edge said something about getting it right now, and Lanois and Eno had helped out on it.

david said:
i wonder how the phone convo went:

Pope: Yo, Bono?
Bono: Sup, P.
Bono: Wurd.
Pope: Whatchoo Doing B-Man
Bono: Just recording, layiing down some dope beats, P.
Pope: I just put some phat rims on the Pope Mobile.
Bono: Wurd up P. Rollin' in style.
Pope: Yaaaaaaa.
Bono. Wurd.
Bono, Eno is being a little bitch, P. So I gotz to get off da phizone and go lay down my vocal track for this dope album. It's gunna drop soon.
Pope: Wurd, bless ya my chizild.
Bono; Wurd.

Wurd.. that was funny as shit.. :lol:

Re: Re: Is this True???

chocky said:

I'm sure Adam was quoted giving Brian credit for some bass work on one of the Bomb tracks. It was in one of the main album reviews like NME.

I thought it was a keyboard part. Anyways, how do we know that Eno helped out with the bass? Adam only said (perhaps jokingly) that the bass isn't him. He likes to call it Brian. Maybe he meant the bass is so scary that the bassline has its own name: Brian.

just speculating here, but that's what I thought he meant when I read the article.

This story was from All that you can't leave behind sessions. I am sure of it. I remember reading it 4 years ago. Maybe it happened again but seen as how Eno wasn't on this album i think this is an old story.

Back
Top Bottom