Is this true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I found this in a Wikipedia entry about Popmart! Can somebody verify if it's true?

"Like Zoo TV, Popmart was another huge success in terms of revenue, although it was not profitable for the band. Despite taking $80 million in revenue, the show cost $100 million to run. Drummer Mullen Jr. said that the only thing that saved the band from financial ruin was T-shirt sales."

I didn't think the tour did THAT badly! :|

Zootlesque said:
I found this in a Wikipedia entry about Popmart! Can somebody verify if it's true?

"Like Zoo TV, Popmart was another huge success in terms of revenue, although it was not profitable for the band. Despite taking $80 million in revenue, the show cost $100 million to run. Drummer Mullen Jr. said that the only thing that saved the band from financial ruin was T-shirt sales."

Not true. I believe the t-shirt sales comment is actually about ZooTV, and if I remember correctly, U2 were promised a profit of $100 million from the promoter for Popmart. It ultimately grossed $171 million, cost $70 million to run, and gave U2 their $100 million, leaving a cool million for the promoter.

Would someone like Sting2 or doctorwho like to confirm or deny this?

For now, I'll go and see if I can find the appropriate tag to mark that section of the Wikipedia article as possibly inaccurate, if it hasn't been done already.

Zootlesque said:

...but it's about ZooTV, not about PopMart

doctorwho said:
The ZOO tours (ZOO TV and ZOOROPA) in 1992-93 grossed
$65 million (U.S. dollars). At the time, this was U2's best
grossing tour. However, the extreme cost of production
allowed U2 to come away with �only� a $3 million profit.

...I guess those 3mlns are T-shirt sales...

Wikipedia is pretty inaccurate. I recently changed the article on HTDAAB. It said that sales as of 2005 were 10 million, and I changed it to sales as of 2006 were 9.1 million, which is true.

Wikipedia is written by regular people. Anyone can submit an entry. This is why so much can end up being inaccurate or incomplete. They are supposed to be checking for accuracy every day, but I don't know that they do, or can, make sure every single detail is correct.

cjboog said:
Wikipedia is pretty inaccurate. I recently changed the article on HTDAAB. It said that sales as of 2005 were 10 million, and I changed it to sales as of 2006 were 9.1 million, which is true.

The 10M comment was based on shipments, not sales to consumers. As far as U2 and their label is concerned, the album has sold 10M. :)

As for the POPMart tour comment, it is incorrect in Wiki. The above comments are accurate. The tour made $171M total and remained U2's biggest grossing tour before this current Vertigo tour. The Elevation Tour could have outgrossed it, but it was a far smaller tour.

Back
Top Bottom