Is this true...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Did you not read what I said? It's called structural poverty for a reason. If you won the lottery everyday for a year and donated every penny before taxes to "Africa" in general, you wouldn't even make a sorry dent. You can't buy health care, you can't buy infrastructure, you can't buy education. Those take time and resources....stable gov't, stable economics....you have to develop this cycle. Fortunately, there are people like Bono with enough brains to recognize this and enough balls to actually get out there and try to make this happen, rather than anonymously donate a couple hundred thousand euros to X-nonprofit org and feel better about himself for the rest of his life.

:up:

If he really did have the hat shipped to him for $1700, which he probably did not, I'd think that was quite frivolous, to put it lightly. But Bono's campaigning is not about money as it is about other things like debt cancellation, fair trade, etc. He's also not asking anyone to give that much money---just a tiny percentage of their tax dollars, not enough that anyone would have to "downgrade" their lifestyle. Bono himself has probably given a greater percentage of his income to the cause than almost anyone else (and of course he should, as he is the spokesperson for this issue.)

rjhbonovox said:

I read what you said. I have this big concern with all this aid for Africa as it just goes to corrupt governments to buy the biggest palaces while their people live in shit. There is a hell of a lot of corruption in these african governments just look at the Mugabe regime. Not the peoples fault but how can you keep giving aid to countries when it goes to corrupt governments. I was watching an interview Bono gave about this on Newsnight and these were the very same questions Jeremy Paxman was asking Bono about. Bono was answering and saying all the right things but will that part of the world ever change when there is such corruption.:eyebrow:

Um.... YOU'RE the one who was saying Bono, et al, should give all their money for aid.....

rjhbonovox said:

I read what you said. I have this big concern with all this aid for Africa as it just goes to corrupt governments to buy the biggest palaces while their people live in shit. There is a hell of a lot of corruption in these african governments just look at the Mugabe regime. Not the peoples fault but how can you keep giving aid to countries when it goes to corrupt governments.
Well, duh. That is exactly why throwing cash at the problem will not fix it. You have to work for real change, not just a temporary resolution. That's why Bono is working to get aid to the countries that are showing that they have a solid government and that want to make lasting changes, not to these unstable semi-dictatorships.

You know, I was thinking after watching the 60 Minutes segment that Bono may not come off too well. I mean, the first part of the segment has Bono talking about his Africa charity and U2's political side thru the years. The second part has the band flying around in private jets, drinking capaccino under the stage, all the while Ed Bradley is interviewing Bono is the South of France. I'm not surprised if people get the wrong idea.

^ Yeah but if he didn't do that would any of us be taking any notice of him?

He'd just be an ordinary person like you and me and have no influence in the world.

Sadly in this shallow world you sometimes have to play the "fame game" to get people to listen to you.

He does what he can to help and is entitled to live the life he wants as far as I am concerned.

(and I'm sure the hat thing is just a myth)

Lemonfix said:
You know, I was thinking after watching the 60 Minutes segment that Bono may not come off too well. I mean, the first part of the segment has Bono talking about his Africa charity and U2's political side thru the years. The second part has the band flying around in private jets, drinking capaccino under the stage, all the while Ed Bradley is interviewing Bono is the South of France. I'm not surprised if people get the wrong idea.

I felt the same way, but that's more 60 Minutes' fault for setting up the segment that way.

Lemonfix said:

Imagine the band flying around in private jets while on tour. How dare they? They should be flying commercial like everyone else.
And an Italian coffee machine? What an outrageous indugence!
And what a hypocrite Bono is to have a summer place in the south of France. He should never enjoy his kids' vacations anywhere but in bleak old Dublin. (I have friends with relatively modest incomes who have a place in the south of France. I guess they're selfish bastards as well.)

By the way, the hat thing? It never happened--an "urban legend", U2-wise. That's a fact. You can do a search.

As to people "getting the wrong idea" from that 60 Minutes piece, well, I think they may have gotten the idea they were meant to. Why was there so much emphasis on the whole "South of France/luxurious/adored by all" lifestyle? What was the point of that? It seemed a disproportionate part of the piece, especially given the parts that were deleted (available at 60 Minutes website), and which focussed much more on the group members, their friendship, creative roles, and group dymnamics.

biff said:

Imagine the band flying around in private jets while on tour. How dare they? They should be flying commercial like everyone else.
And an Italian coffee machine? What an outrageous indugence!
And what a hypocrite Bono is to have a summer place in the south of France. He should never enjoy his kids' vacations anywhere but in bleak old Dublin. (I have friends with relatively modest incomes who have a place in the south of France. I guess they're selfish bastards as well.)

By the way, the hat thing? It never happened--an "urban legend", U2-wise. That's a fact. You can do a search.

As to people "getting the wrong idea" from that 60 Minutes piece, well, I think they may have gotten the idea they were meant to. Why was there so much emphasis on the whole "South of France/luxurious/adored by all" lifestyle? What was the point of that? It seemed a disproportionate part of the piece, especially given the parts that were deleted (available at 60 Minutes website), and which focussed much more on the group members, their friendship, creative roles, and group dymnamics.

Um, I hope you don't mean I think Bono is a hypocrite or that his lifestyle is inappropriate, as I just got done defending it earlier on the thread. I was just saying that someone who knows little about the band and/or Bono's work might get the wrong idea. Emphasis on WRONG IDEA.

Lemonfix said:

Um, I hope you don't mean I think Bono is a hypocrite or that his lifestyle is inappropriate, as I just got done defending it earlier on the thread. I was just saying that someone who knows little about the band and/or Bono's work might get the wrong idea. Emphasis on WRONG IDEA.

I think it was nice of Adam to jump in and note that the place in France and the private jets allow them to stay with their families anytime they're not performing and it's not just b/c they're spoiled brats.

shart1780 said:
Bono has more responsibility as the spokesperson he is then we do.

Bullshit...:|

He isn't a politician, he didn't sign up for this for his own good. He admits it's crazy for a rock star to be doing this, but who else is going to do it?

You should quit believing every urban legend you read, and quit trying to knock him down every chance you get and realize what he actually IS doing for the cause.

shart1780 said:
Bono has more responsibility as the spokesperson he is then we do.

So, since apparently all humans aren't created with an equal obligation to our fellow human beings, does that make you more responsible, as a U2 fan, than say a Metallica fan? huh?

:rolleyes:

rjhbonovox said:

I read what you said. I have this big concern with all this aid for Africa as it just goes to corrupt governments to buy the biggest palaces while their people live in shit. There is a hell of a lot of corruption in these african governments just look at the Mugabe regime. Not the peoples fault but how can you keep giving aid to countries when it goes to corrupt governments. I was watching an interview Bono gave about this on Newsnight and these were the very same questions Jeremy Paxman was asking Bono about. Bono was answering and saying all the right things but will that part of the world ever change when there is such corruption.:eyebrow:

You've only been listening to sound bites, haven't you? Go read more lengthy interviews and you'll realize that Bono knows a fuck of a lot more about this than you do. :rolleyes:

rjhbonovox said:

Oh come on. If they are really concerned about Africa then why don't they donate all their money to helping the people. It kinda rankles a bit when they are worth so much and are all the time preaching. Still thats my opinion and I am entitled to it.:wink:

Even if it's stupid. :wink:

You're making assumptions here. Where are your tax receipts for your donation to charities that work for meaningful, long-term social change? Or could those be private? Like other people's donations? How can you be so sure he and the rest of the band don't donate money to the causes you think they should donate to?

You and shart like to make lame generalizations to tear down someone famous.

Who gives a shit that rock stars live like rock stars? When you're living a life of poverty and sacrifice because you're given away all your money "to Africa" then you can get all high and mighty about people who choose to live comfortably, yet still work for social change. Until you can put up, shut up.

In my maybe not so humble opinion, it's no matter how he spends his money. He earned it with his talent for songwriting, etc. And he did help to contribute to the economy (Dublin airport taxes, airport of arrival taxes, etc) and when an insanely rich person spreads out a bit of his wealth to the rest of the world (2 countries involved here), who could complain? Especially not if your country was the one who gained a bit from these taxes imposed on Bono's hat. It's not like he embezzled the African Fund cash.

He's a megastar, they are used to this sort of thing. An average person would be very sad and regretful that he left his favourite shirt (for example) at home while on vacation, but Bono and his cronies actually take action to get their favourite stuff over to them.

shart1780 said:
I heard on the news that Bono didn't have a hat he wanted during a concert, so he payed $1,700 dollars to have it shipped to him in time for the concert.

Great thing for a spokesman against poverty to do :|

Remember, "I don't believe in riches, but you should see where I live"? It's this contradiction that makes things interesting. Always has been. Nothing different these days.

martha said:

Who gives a shit that rock stars live like rock stars? When you're living a life of poverty and sacrifice because you're given away all your money "to Africa" then you can get all high and mighty about people who choose to live comfortably, yet still work for social change. Until you can put up, shut up.

You have to admit that Bono loves the limelight and spotlight that his charideeeeeee work gives him. He loves the headline news making and the rubbing shoulders with the worlds most powerful leaders. I admire him for his "hating the whinging rockstar" speeches that he gives but he absolutely adores being the centre of attention. Some of the things U2 and Bono have done these past few years have left me speechless compared to there stance on things a few years ago. Not to mention going to a concert and seeing some bleeding human rights speech in the middle of a song. Is that entertainment? Is that what we pay £50 a ticket to go and see? I mean does it strike home with the concert goers? I had to bring that up as when I was stood there in a field watching this on a video screen I thought what the fuc#s this all about? Do people really need to see this? Anyway thats off topic but something I had to mention after recently seeing it again on the DVD, reminding me of the way I felt at the concert.:wink:

martha said:

Even if it's stupid. :wink:

You're making assumptions here. Where are your tax receipts for your donation to charities that work for meaningful, long-term social change? Or could those be private? Like other people's donations? How can you be so sure he and the rest of the band don't donate money to the causes you think they should donate to?

You and shart like to make lame generalizations to tear down someone famous.

You've nailed just what i've been thinking while reading this thread! :up:

rjhbonovox said:

You have to admit that Bono loves the limelight and spotlight that his charideeeeeee work gives him. He loves the headline news making and the rubbing shoulders with the worlds most powerful leaders. I admire him for his "hating the whinging rockstar" speeches that he gives but he absolutely adores being the centre of attention. Some of the things U2 and Bono have done these past few years have left me speechless compared to there stance on things a few years ago. Not to mention going to a concert and seeing some bleeding human rights speech in the middle of a song. Is that entertainment? Is that what we pay £50 a ticket to go and see? I mean does it strike home with the concert goers? I had to bring that up as when I was stood there in a field watching this on a video screen I thought what the fuc#s this all about? Do people really need to see this? Anyway thats off topic but something I had to mention after recently seeing it again on the DVD, reminding me of the way I felt at the concert.:wink:

I don't get the sense that he enjoys the political spotlight at all. At least not in the way you're implying. I think if he does 'enjoy' it, it's for contributing to the growing awareness of the public to the plight of Africa. There has to be some satisfaction that comes with spreading the word, and making this an issue that people are paying attention to.

From comments I've read/heard, I also think that he may be somewhat chagrined by the personal attention he's receiving due to his political stance, and to an even greater degree, so are his bandmates. But still, he's willing to put up with the potential loss of rock credibility, and the scorn he's receiving from some people, to fight for what he feels is morally just.

I find it very hard to believe that he wouldn't rather spend his time getting a few extra hours of sleep every night, or spending time with his family. Instead, his tenacity and relentlessness and his refusal to accept anything less that a reasonable standard of living for the continent are the driving forces that keep him going.

As for your feeling about the speeches during the concert, you have to remember - it's perfectly valid to feel that way, but you cannot attribute those feelings to other concert-goers. They may feel very differently.

This thread is a pile of steaming excrement. Close it, someone, for the love of all that is holy.

rjhbonovox said:

Some of the things U2 and Bono have done these past few years have left me speechless compared to there stance on things a few years ago. Not to mention going to a concert and seeing some bleeding human rights speech in the middle of a song. Is that entertainment?

U2 has been involved with human rights issues and politics for YEARS. This isn't anything new.

Are you following the same band the rest of us are?

VintagePunk said:

:sad:

My post was good, wasn't it?

:wink:

Oh, yours and several others were good... :wink: Pity there are a few dumbarses who've ruined the thread entirely.

rjhbonovox said:
Anyway stories about Bono. I heard that Bono had a right hissy fit when backstage at one gig the sandwiches were too small and the ham was hanging out the side!:wink:

:lol:

To this thread=:crack:

Last edited:
Green Day sucks.

Hah! Now it's really gonna be a crappy thread!
:macdevil: :wink:

corianderstem said:

Are you following the same band the rest of us are?

Yeah the lead singers called David St. Bono Hubbins, guitarist is Nigel the edge Tufnell and bass guitar is Derek Adam Smalls? Or am I thinking of a different band???????:wink:

Pfft. The day U2 brings out midgets to dance around a tiny Stonehenge, I'm so outta here.

... unless they do it to be funny, in which case, :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom