Is this article saying U2 is "retro"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tashka Blue

Babyface
Or that pop music branding is "retro"? I can't decide. (Apologies if this has already been discussed, but it caught my eye).

URL is to MSNBC, but I can't post it just yet because I am too newbie. Here is the excerpt that caught my eye:

"Soon iTunes will offer a U2 iPod, which is likely the first performer-branded music player for devotees since Elvis Presley and The Beatles put their names on record players. The new iPods will have the band member's autographs on them, and iTunes will sell a special download of the band's catalog of 400 songs that keeps 80s music relevant in the new century.

Retro is clearly hot. Our latest list of top-earning dead celebrities found that Elvis earned $40 million in 2003 while The Beatles' John Lennon earned $21 million and George Harrison, $7 million. Their estates should get even richer after the latest Beatles reissue — a CD box set that includes the supergroup's first four U.S. albums in both stereo and mono mixes — on Nov. 16.

It's not only old music that people are snatching up. It's also movie reissues, videogames and entire seasons of television shows on DVD. Long-awaited content is finally seeing release, such as the classic “Star Wars” movies on DVD and in widescreen format. "

Surely they aren't calling U2 top-earning dead celebrities? I just thought this was SO STRANGE!

I think they need to start giving people credit for 21st century lifespans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom