Is this album a classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BizzaD

The Fly
I dont want to over judge How to dismantle an atomic bomb this early as it has only been out around 4 months yet the album wont quit with me, it sounds as fresh as the day I heard it on leaked mp3 from Interference.

I can still play the entire album through and eagerly await the next track. Its diverse with a snapshot of each piece of the bands career, yet it still feels fresh, it has an edge to it (no pun intended) The band sound as though they have their confidence back after POP = ATYCLB. (I dont want to start ANOTHER this VS that thread but i agree with those who think ATCLYB was a safe album).

And people I know who are generally not U2 fans agree that it is a very strong, consistent album. Some even becoming fans i think, asking me to put it on when they are around.

Regardless of sales im quite confident to say that this album will win album of the year for the 2006 Grammys and be regarded as one of the bands finest albums.

ATYCLB set it up but i think HTDAAB will carry the weight from here on....

Time will tell.
I can't wait to hear it live.

Exactly, it still sounds fresh every time i hear it! I also still play the entire album through and eagerly await the next track.

I'm a fan since Achtung Baby came out, but after that masterpiece I never played an album so much in such a short period. Since HTDAAB leaked I must have listened to it over 300 times! As a matter of fact, I still play the album at least seven times a week (with now and then a day of rest in between)!!
:drool:

I personally think no. I think at the end of the day, it's lacking something to make it as exciting to listen to 10-15 years later...rather like 'All that you can't Leave Behind'... But that's just my opinion.

This album is REALLY REALLY good! I'm not sure if it can be called a classic yet. The track order is not very good in my opinion.

I think the following order is much better...

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes
4. Original
5. Yahweh
6. All Because
7. Crumbs
8. Man and Woman
9. Fast Cars
10. Love and Peace
11. One Step Closer

Love and Peace always felt out of place to me so I moved it out. Yahweh seems like a good end to something, so I made it end the A-side. Original sounds good after City and esp. before Yahweh. All Because, of course starts the B-side with a bang. Man and Woman - Fast Cars - Love and Peace is some amazing transition IMO. They shouldn't have left Fast Cars out. Finally, One Step Closer is more than perfect for the end. Is anyone with me here?

Hoodlem will agree with me somewhat I think because part of this order was his idea. :wink:

It's a classic for me right now, but I consider UF to be a classic and AB not to be, so it's a very subjective classic rating. Whether or not the album is a classic to the general public will depend on its performance live, its longevity, and how it is perceived many years down the track.

Odds are, though, that many people are far too stuck in 1987-1991 and aren't willing to acknowledge that anything but JT and AB are classics.

Zootlesque said:
This album is REALLY REALLY good! I'm not sure if it can be called a classic yet. The track order is not very good in my opinion.

I think the following order is much better...

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes
4. Original
5. Yahweh
6. All Because
7. Crumbs
8. Man and Woman
9. Fast Cars
10. Love and Peace
11. One Step Closer

where the hell is COBL??! you can't just dump the best track on the album!

discothequeLP said:

where the hell is COBL??! you can't just dump the best track on the album!

:reject:
Shit! Sorry for that slip. It should've read...

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes
4. City
5. Original
6. Yahweh
7. All Because
8. Crumbs
9. Man and Woman
10. Fast Cars
11. Love and Peace
12. One Step Closer

There...:wink:

I think it's wonderful now. The definition of 'classic' implies something that has withstood the test of time and hasn't diminished in that course of time either. I'd like to say yes, but I would think I would need to give a few years to age, like a fine wine, I hope it just gets better. :up:

Classic? No.

I love every song on this album, but it isn't a good album. It's a fantastic collection of songs, but as an album it's far from classic IMO. I just can't "feel" a connection between the songs. U2 have already said that as they've become better musicians, it's been harder and harder to create the U2 magic--and I agree with them.

starsgoblue said:
I think it's wonderful now. The definition of 'classic' implies something that has withstood the test of time and hasn't diminished in that course of time either. I'd like to say yes, but I would think I would need to give a few years to age, like a fine wine, I hope it just gets better. :up:

Exactly! You're right on, starsgoblue!

HTDAAB is a classic, up there with JT and AB for me :yes:

Everytime I play it I can't stop crying because of how some songs effect me :sad:

Last edited:
HTDAAB is the best U2 album
The band has put out a brilliant collection of songs, so we have to be proud to be around at this particular moment

When you hear the songs Beautiful Day, Walk On, and even Kite today, you can't but think that All That... is a pretty classic album now. I think it'll be a safe bet to say that the Bomb has a few more hits yet to hit the radio waves. In all probability, their best hits (other than Vertigo) haven't end hit the radio charts yet. City of Blinding Lights and Original of the Species. Hey, even Miracle Drug.

Sounds like the Bomb is well on the right path to "classic."

With The Joshua Tree, I knew the first time I listened to the album.

With Achtung Baby, I knew within a week or two, as I got over the shock of the difference from the Berlin bootleg, and understood the lyrical direction.

No other U2 albums have bowled me over as quickly as cover-to-cover great artistic statements. I like all the albums: at times in the late '80s liked UF better than JT, I love Boy, like and respect Pop (though I think its a nobly flawed would-be masterpiece), and think Zooropa is the best album that nobody listens to.

I do think that Atomic Bomb is better than ATYCLB. I do think that songs like Sometimes You Can Make It On Your Own and One Step Closer will remain among my favorites. But I don't think that HTDAAB has enough "it," right from the get-go, to be a true classic.

Back
Top Bottom