Is there anything about U2 we can agree on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CKONE

Acrobat
This forum suprises me daily with peoples different views on, what we all must agree to be here in the first place, is the finest phenomenon in music from the past 30 years.

Views from around the world can differ on interpretation of lyrics, emotion, best of, worst of (as if anything they have done can fit such a category!), intention, politics, humour even whether they are an Irish group or not.

Is it possible to agree on anything? Perhaps it is......there are 4 of them....oh wait some do argue Eno as the fifth so we cant agree on that.

Its probably impossible for us all to agree on one thing which is perhaps testament to both the band and their fans. However I am going to make a case for a full house agreement on one thing.
Please feel free to agree......or disagree if you must. Argue your case if you want to and/or perhaps put forward your own suggestion as to what we can all agree on.

The Joshua Tree was released when I was an impressionable 15 year old and stole my soul from the very first moment I heard it. I adore every album they have made, they never cease to inspire, amaze and impress me but I always return to The Joshua Tree. Every album is superb in my eyes but none that have followed or went before have achieved perfection as The Joshua Tree does.

Listening to it in the car this morning I went the long way to work to listen to all of it without interruption. It has to be on loud obviously. From the first note of streets I get goose bumps, butterflies, an exciting sickly feeling and the sneak of a tear. It physically affects me in this way for reasons I may never understand but from the beginning to end it doesnt let up. Each note, each word, each pause, each breath is perfectly positioned, perfectly delivered and perfectly perfect. The songs are in absolutely the right order, show no weakness and ooze timeless class. Nothing is out of place, nothing about is causes you to question its place and nothing detracts from its company.

No other album is so complete, so right and so perfect.

Can we all therefore agree that without a doubt, without a dissentor, without quarrel, without question The Joshua Tree album is the finest piece of timeless perfection delivered to us by U2?

No, because some people consider Achtung Baby their best album.

The only thing we can agree on is we all like the band.

We can all agree The Joshua Tree has some of their best songs. I think (almost) every U2 fan likes Streets and With or Without You.

U2Kitten said:
We all like the band. We're here aren't we?

I think we all came here because we like the band, but it sure does seem sometimes that some people have started to no longer like them, but they still stick around out of habit and/or friendships.

Yahweh_OMG said:
We can all agree that JT isn't the worst U2 album..... but personally, Achtung Baby is better.....

U know it's sort of funny this thing ...... But agree with u and Banzai , myself I say this

Between the 2 : Achtung Baby is a more complete album , as a album it's better , but Joshua Tree has best songs , I mean Streets , wowy , I still haven't , the singles of JT could compete with half of Achtung Baby .

The Explorer is absoloutly gorgeous...and the SG is...well...useless honestly (at least my opinion)

We can agree that Bono is the lead singer, Edge plays guitar, Adam on bass, Larry on drums.

I'd say we could agree that they're Irish, but another thread on this forum might negate that. :wink:

Interference is addicting...can we agree on that...and Elvis is an absoloute genius for putting this all together and bringing us all to one great place :wink:

I would propose that there are two groups of U2 fans: one that thinks their best work can be summed up with Joshua Tree, and the other that thinks U2 is more than one album.

I fall into the latter category.

Re: Re: Is there anything about U2 we can agree on?

bathiu said:

:eyebrow: No! it's not even in my Top7;) favorite U2 albums...

I have to agree with Bathiu - JT isn't even in my Top 7 of U2 albums. So no, we can't all agree that JT is the best U2 album.

Things we can agree on:
  • U2 consists of 4 members named Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, Jr.
  • U2 is managed by Paul McGuinness.
  • Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois have helped U2 change directions in their sound several times.
  • I think it's safe to say that all fans enjoy at least one of those shifts in sound (that is, fans really enjoy at least one of the following albums: UF, JT, AB, or ATYCLB).
  • Bono isn't that tall, but none of the members of U2 are.
  • Bono did get pudgy lately (but so have many members of this forum :yes: ).
  • Women in PLEBA drool over the band and seem to love all pictures - recent or old.
  • Expectations for new U2 are always too high, and some fans, as a result, will always be disappointed by the new material.
  • The chances of new U2 leaking on line before the actual single/album release are virtually guaranteed.

I'm sure there's more, but eh, I grow bored. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Is there anything about U2 we can agree on?

doctorwho said:

[*]Women in PLEBA drool over the band and seem to love all pictures - recent or old.[*]

I DISAGREE! :madwife:

I consider myself a PLEBAn, and still there are a few Bono pictures who I absolutely hate with a passion as big as the one which I love the man with..... it's called Baldie... and it scares me to death

:shh: and I don't like Larry pics either.....

:love: but I agree on your last point!

Bottom Line: I love U2! I pretty much enjoy all of their albums. I love the Joshua Tree! I love Achtung Baby! I honestly think it's pretty foolish to be at a U2 site and not like them. What would be the point then? That's a rhetorical question by the way.

Back
Top Bottom