Is there an album on the horizon? (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono - "When The Edge brought me with him to the future, I got a glimpse of what we can accomplish as a society. In fact, firefighting has seen huge advances in technology. All it takes to put out a fire is one drop of water mixed with a new chemical that was discovered in Egypt in the year 2076. Due to this discovery, let me just say that I'm concerned about The Edge's guitar playing."

Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

At least we have a new show tomorrow for us to lose even more faith in a May album.

I was one of the few who really thought a new album was going to happen... but to be perfectly honest, now I really don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon.

MAYBE an EP, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that, either :sigh:

I was one of the few who really thought a new album was going to happen... but to be perfectly honest, now I really don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon.

MAYBE an EP, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that, either :sigh:

Exactly how i feel :sad:
But the interview tomorrow, if it does indeed contain anything about a new album, should clarify that there is nothing.
Hopefully they'll be honest, but even one of their creative side-steps will be enough for us to know there isn't a may album.

Exactly how i feel :sad:
But the interview tomorrow, if it does indeed contain anything about a new album, should clarify that there is nothing.
Hopefully they'll be honest, but even one of their creative side-steps will be enough for us to know there isn't a may album.

Well I still have a glimmer of hope. My hope is that they pull something along the lines of what radiohead did with their latest album. Anaunce it and them 5 days later release it!! I know U2 has never done this and probably never will but here is to hoping! I still think we will probably get an EP or an album ALA rattle and Hum, a few live songs and a few new songs in the same disk. Who knows! But it's sure not looking good!

Well I still have a glimmer of hope. My hope is that they pull something along the lines of what radiohead did with their latest album. Anaunce it and them 5 days later release it!! I know U2 has never done this and probably never will but here is to hoping! I still think we will probably get an EP or an album ALA rattle and Hum, a few live songs and a few new songs in the same disk. Who knows! But it's sure not looking good!

Hmm, if they play coy about material ("we'll see"/you'll have to wait until late april" or something), then i guess a surprise is possible, although still unlikely. But i'm expecting another "getting lost" style quote.
Personally i don't think they'll do a radiohead, mainly because they want 'hits' from this album, and that would mean releasing a single a while before the album, rather than just releasing a surprise album. And if there is an album, they won't be giving away much info to a journalist at this point.

So the best case scenario we can hope for tomorrow is a sly implication that there will be an announcement soon.
The more likely scenario is that they'll give another excuse why there isn't anything.

Oh, we can hope for a lot more than that....

It could be that they want hits and thus will not get a radiohead type of release but if U2 want to stay relevant to the changing times then that would be a great move and if the music is good, they could still get hits off of a quick announced/released album. At the very least with all the previous talk of a new album in May, they could release an EP with a few new songs. Tomorrow could be an interesting day if indeed the interviewer asked U2 about the new album. Or we could hear nothing at all. Who knows.

It could be that they want hits and thus will not get a radiohead type of release but if U2 want to stay relevant to the changing times then that would be a great move and if the music is good, they could still get hits off of a quick announced/released album. At the very least with all the previous talk of a new album in May, they could release an EP with a few new songs. Tomorrow could be an interesting day if indeed the interviewer asked U2 about the new album. Or we could hear nothing at all. Who knows.

We won't hear anything...or if we do it will be vague

We can assume they want hits. But I don't think it's clear how in 2011 one manages that. But yes, there is the chance that we'll get some real news tomorrow.

We can assume they want hits. But I don't think it's clear how in 2011 one manages that. But yes, there is the chance that we'll get some real news tomorrow.

Having your parents buy you a song and video shoot with Ark Music seems to be the key in 2011

I'm predicting the interview tomorrow to reveal that there's no new album (we've been writing a lot of songs and we just want to continue writing and recording!), as I've been predicting there wouldn't be for two fucking months.

There is not a new U2 album. There has not been for a while.

What we're really going to get:

Pop - Remixed and Remastered by Will.i.am, Danger Mouse, Dave Guetta and very special guest Howie B

A special six disc set with a disc set aside for different versions of MFRR, Super City Mania and Wake Up Dead Man.

THAT'S what all the secrecy is about. They're perfecting their tarnished masterpiece. The haters ain't gonna hate for long.

I would lay 10 bucks down on the table right now to say that IF there is any talk of a new album it will be in a non-commital, vague way with no clear time period for release, destroying all our (dying) hopes of a May release as well as a release any time at all this year. That's what I reckon.

The single continues to become even more irrelevant (see my article from the BBC this morning) in terms of timings pre album and physical releases, so they could still easily release in May if there were no long lead times muddied by a 6 week in advance release of a single. It doesn't even have to be a Radiohead style release. There might only be one format of the album available as well which could save time (instead of the 23 different formats for No Line!). Here's hoping anyway. :pray:

So this is a pre-recorded interview that they're only playing today? If so, its good news that they mention talk about a new album in the preview for it, means it definitely does come up. That he is doing the interview at all is a sign of something, because even though its an Irish station, its still an odd thing to line up if its just "hey what's going on" "err, not much." So it is far more likely that there's something, be it a new album (and wanting to deny it, put the speculation to rest, might count), the possible final 360 swing, or just something else Edge/Ireland related - pimping some other random cause or event or something. Fairly unlikely its just a completely random chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom