Is there an album on the horizon? (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I wouldn't be angry/disappointed had they not been so ready to crap on about how much material they had, new album this soon, we have to put it out, blah blah....

Regular album cycle, we wouldn't have dreamt of getting new material played live, and the hope of a new disc, but it is already 18 months overdue after Bono's comments about Songs of Ascent.

I am usually the first person to make excuses for them about anything, but this seriously blows. Again, I don't care so much that we aren't getting new material, but why do they have to be such fucking cock teases along the way. Just shut the fuck up until you are sure and don't string us all along. Like Bono said at Slane, we've all given them about 500 pounds each too. Don't treat us like this.

He also said they were thinking about doing something quite different to the standard U2 gig at Glastonbury. So that means it will be a straight 360 setlist.

You know, I wouldn't be angry/disappointed had they not been so ready to crap on about how much material they had, new album this soon, we have to put it out, blah blah....

Regular album cycle, we wouldn't have dreamt of getting new material played live, and the hope of a new disc, but it is already 18 months overdue after Bono's comments about Songs of Ascent.

I am usually the first person to make excuses for them about anything, but this seriously blows. Again, I don't care so much that we aren't getting new material, but why do they have to be such fucking cock teases along the way. Just shut the fuck up until you are sure and don't string us all along. Like Bono said at Slane, we've all given them about 500 pounds each too. Don't treat us like this.

That sums my feelings up very well. It feels like they have lost their balls, or to be more polite, their focus.

Didnt U2 sign a contract for like a lot of albums to be released for pretty much the remainder of their career? Maybe they want to record everything now while they are still younger and just hit the release button over the next 10-15 years?

The death of this band will not be a decline in the music quality. It will be them wearing their fans down with indecision, second guessing and the struggle for perfection.

I'm not saying this is all Vlad's fault, I'm just heavily implying it.

I think hearing about it now is better than waking up later and then seeing this shit. Hardly a consolation, though. I shouldn't be this irritated, but I am, it just seemed ... like a real possibility at one stage.

The death of this band will not be a decline in the music quality. It will be them wearing their fans down with indecision, second guessing and the struggle for perfection.
So, they died about...six months ago? :wink:

Seriously, if hard-core fans are getting angry, bitter, and just plain tired of all this shit, what hope is there?
:|

I'm interested to know if there was anyone with close relation to the band who even thought of saying "just release the freaking thing!".

Oh god. :sigh:

It seems they see themselves as entertainers now rather than musicians. At least give thinking fans the chance to appreciate Songs of Ascent - even if that means releasing it as Passengers Vol. II before you go all Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber on our asses.

Also I really don't understand why they don't at least play 3 Irish shows to wrap the tour up - they are guaranteed to be sell-outs and would be a great present to the people of Ireland.

Then why are you still here??? :wink: it is a process that has begun for a lot of people...
Continuing the whole "death" analogy, I guess it's the difference between a sudden, shocking death (that is to say, break-ups) and a slow, lingering one (which would be this).

Basically, your favorite band has cancer of the ability to release music in a timely fashion.

mick-jagger-and-bono-pic-getty-images-516673751.jpg

So dissappointing. They might as well retire or go play endless nights in Caesars Palace if they're going to mess about like this. Never thought I could feel this way about this band. All the more annoying that Edge sounded like he didn't really care - very laid back.

Hahahah I knew I was right, but still very disappointed. I wonder if fans of other bands ever get disappointed as much as we do?
November 2013 it is, guys.

Time for a new petition?

Dear U2,

We have loved and listened for decades. There are those of us who were fans from the beginning, and there are those of us who exist purely because of our parents love for your music. In many of our eyes, you can do no wrong.

This is a desperate plea. Ultimately, the music is yours, and you will do with it what you will. The decision is yours.

Our plea is that you realise that indecision is killing the band. Many examples in the recent past have pointed to lesser versions of songs being released due to over-production and second guessing. It has now gotten to the point where you promise an album for 18 months, only to stop and tell everyone that you have a lot of options, and you can't decide which way to go.

Edge was quoted once saying "U2 albums don't get finished, they get released". This is a trait we all love about the band. The songs evolve, they mean different things to different people, and live incarnations of songs have entirely new energies.

For the sake of the band, the fans, and the music: choose a project, release it: Don't be afraid about the result. The fans want to see the band stay relevant, and not become the next Rolling Stones nostalgia act. U2 have always made their best music spontaneously and bravely fucking up the mainstream.

Time for a new petition?

Dear U2,

We have loved and listened for decades. There are those of us who were fans from the beginning, and there are those of us who exist purely because of our parents love for your music. In many of our eyes, you can do no wrong.

This is a desperate plea. Ultimately, the music is yours, and you will do with it what you will. The decision is yours.

Our plea is that you realise that indecision is killing the band. Many examples in the recent past have pointed to lesser versions of songs being released due to over-production and second guessing. It has now gotten to the point where you promise an album for 18 months, only to stop and tell everyone that you have a lot of options, and you can't decide which way to go.

Edge was quoted once saying "U2 albums don't get finished, they get released". This is a trait we all love about the band. The songs evolve, they mean different things to different people, and live incarnations of songs have entirely new energies.

For the sake of the band, the fans, and the music: choose a project, release it: Don't be afraid about the result. The fans want to see the band stay relevant, and not become the next Rolling Stones nostalgia act. U2 have always made their best music spontaneously and bravely fucking up the mainstream.

I add my name to this petition!

Time for a new petition?

Dear U2,

It's good but how the hell do you get them to read it?

I hope someone asks McGuinness, or hell, any of the band about why they promised an album and then didn't deliver. No bullshit about getting lost in the music and having too many songs to choose from etc, just a straight ANSWER.

I hope someone asks McGuinness, or hell, any of the band about why they promised an album and then didn't deliver. No bullshit about getting lost in the music and having too many songs to choose from etc, just a straight ANSWER.

Doubt many would have the guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom