Is there an album on the horizon? (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they need to release an album within the next approx 12 months if they want to have a shot of 'staying relevant'
taking some time to evaluate how to approach the next 12 month doesn't seem like a bad idea to me

Wait, people aren't still hanging on to this being coyness?

Seriously, no one should be surprised. Spiderman didn't delay the album; they're just too pussy to release anything that isn't going to be a smash hit in their view. If it doesn't have the next Beautiful Day, they won't release it.

I cannot imagine this is any kind of huge shock for anyone that is even a partial fan of this band. They have released ONE album quickly since they became a BIG act. They do not like doing it that way even if they say they "enjoy" the creative aspect of it. The fact is they are known and seem to work best when they work songs to death and overthink it. I say this all the time, U2 are creatures of habit, they are going to do what they have always done because they typically have been very successful with it.

They really are close to becoming the new Rolling Stones. I do not think they are quite there yet. If they do a tour without any kind of new material in the future, then they have become the new Stones officially. They can get away the current tour because of Bono's spine being the excuse. But essentially its a greatest hits kind of tour with a spectacular production and a great live band (uh, that kind of sounds like the Stones!! lol ;) )

Still looking forward to seeing them in a few months. But I'm going to guess the setlist is the same or similiar mediocre one they have been doing since August 2010. It sounds like they are ready to get off the road from Edge's comments so they will go into cruise control until July, which typically means few to no major changes. Except Glastonbury, which will just be a different order of most of the same songs.

Okay...this is still coyness right? It's part of a stealthy plan where Edge does some interviews and denies they are going to release a new album and then BAM - new album. Right??? No one would see it coming. This HAS to be what's happening...

(First stage: DENIAL)

:crack:

Okay...this is still coyness right? It's part of a stealthy plan where Edge does some interviews and denies they are going to release a new album and then BAM - new album. Right??? No one would see it coming. This HAS to be what's happening...

(First stage: DENIAL)

:crack:

Imagine if Edge posted a video on U2.com saying something along the lines of don't believe everything you hear or stay tuned for a surprise announcement? But then we find out it's a remix of the U2 Duals CD :doh:

What a disappointment, that interview with Edge. An announcement for an album to be released in may had to be mentioned. Now it's the same boring information. Not even mention of an ep or single to be released. I hope this whole spidey-adventure will end very soon so they can focus on their new album. U2 has landed in it's own comedy: Lots of delays (musical and new album delays) with a fanclub that doesn't take its members seriously. For me it's clear: U2 are the new Stones. Oh wait. Let's see what they play tonight. Expect nothing but the same. Boring.:sad:

Interference on Edge and Adam's Comments in February:
"Pulling a fast one"
"A good sign"
"More coy than uncertain"
"Good news"
"Stealth approach is going according to plan"
"Exactly what I'd expect for a sneaky May release"
"All tactical"
"Coy"
"sounds like coy responses"
"being coy"
"they really want this to happen"
"sounds like they're being coy"

Stealth Approach 2011 is still going according to plan, right guys?

This is the name of the album you say?

I thought we agreed the album was going to be called "Stealth Bandwagon"...

2871b0i.jpg

"Bono's been talking about different projects and they're all still kind of alive. We're not ready to commit to one particular direction, but we've so much new material. And when the dust settles and we're off the road, I think we're gonna give ourselves a couple weeks and sit back and figure it all out and decide which way we're gonna go." Later he adds, "We're enjoying that moment where things haven't fully come into focus and we could take it in a number of different directions."

This new quote makes me very sad. Mostly because I've been discovering bootlegs recently of the band in their prime and I get all nostalgic about what U2 used to mean.

I don't think with AB, they sat back and deliberated on their new direction - they WENT in their new direction and MADE it happen. If they're ever going to be great again, whoever is making these HORRIBLE decisions to keep playing it safe and bury exciting projects - that/those person(s) need(s) to stop making decisions for a while. For the good of the band. Give the power of attorney to whatever members of the band still have some balls and let them make the decisions.

Really, what they should do IF they're telling the truth about all of this material is RELEASE it. Multiple EPs is probably the best way to go, because you don't have the ressure of the ALBUM, but you can release a lot of material. That way they can CLEANSE themselves of whatever directions they aren't completely sold on and then focus their energy on CREATING rather than polishing.

I don't know what else to say. This is a sad day, because it's a culmination of a thousand little failures of this band in the last decade or so.

They need to stop touring. They shouldn't tour unless they are actually making NEW music worthy of a huge tour. I still think the pressure of writing albums FOR a specific tour is sapping them creatively. They would make better music if it came out of the rhythm of their everyday life. I wish they would release three albums before they tour again, because honestly, this tour is HUGE but it's boring as hell and a complete waste of time. Time better spent creating something new.

They need to stop touring. They shouldn't tour unless they are actually making NEW music worthy of a huge tour. I still think the pressure of writing albums FOR a specific tour is sapping them creatively. They would make better music if it came out of the rhythm of their everyday life. I wish they would release three albums before they tour again, because honestly, this tour is HUGE but it's boring as hell and a complete waste of time. Time better spend creating something new.

That's exactly what I just said in another thread. They're older and maybe 1/3 of the Elevation tour had them playing close to their prime. Ever since, it's been declining fortunes, leading to what is easily the most boring set of live shows they've ever done. Money is the only real reason to keep doing it as they've pretty much accomplished and done all that could be done on the road. Quit having two-year long tours that make it almost impossible to record/write new songs! They need to simply live out their lives doing what they want and making new music, not adhering to a strict regimen of repetitive greatest hits sets, twice a week.

I'm not as disappointed as I thought I'd be, considering how optimistic I was a month or so ago.

But boy howdy, if they come out and say the AB remaster is going to be delayed, then I'm going to knock some skulls.

glad i didn't get tickets this summer. i'll save it for a different band that deserves my money. :wave:

I'm actually more excited about the AB remaster than I was about a new album anyway.

I don't want to get my hopes up about any new excavated tracks...but I hope there's something there to tide us over a while...

so at least we got a new Radiohead album this year! :D

seriously though, i'd be much more upset about this if:

1. there wasn't much better music being released than U2 is capable of at this point of their career.

2. i had actually 100% expected an album to come out this Spring.

I'm not even all that mad about having re-upped to get presale codes for the possibility of a Dublin show. I knew I was taking a chance when I resubscribed.

other releases coming up that i'm excited for:

TV On The Radio
Panda Bear
13 & God
More Radiohead?

I can't wait for the new TV On The Radio

My disappointment stems from the fact that I really wanted to hear what they were doing with Danger Mouse. He could have helped them craft some beautiful songs.

watch

Looking forward to the new Fleet Foxes album in May, at least thats some consolation.

I never really believed they'd do it. I was hopeful for awhile, but knew that my hopefulness was silly and nieve. So now they'll have to wait a few years for the market to settle down again after this mammoth tour before they can stage another one. U2 WILL NOT release a new album without a major tour, because that's how the big money is made, not off album sales.

I suddenly feel stupid for having tickets for TWO shows this summer. I'll basically get the same greatest hits setlist with maybe a one song difference if lucky. The 360 tour made sense when I saw it in 2009, when they had a new album to promote. Now, it's clearly a money grab. Oh well, it'll still be good!

I suddenly feel stupid for having tickets for TWO shows this summer. I'll basically get the same greatest hits setlist with maybe a one song difference if lucky. The 360 tour made sense when I saw it in 2009, when they had a new album to promote. Now, it's clearly a money grab. Oh well, it'll still be good!

I don't understand this, though. The leg was supposed to happen last summer, not this summer. Would you rather they cancel the shows altogether? That's a serious question. It was even less likely they'd release a new album last summer, so I mean, these shows were already supposed to have happen. I'd be much more disappointed if they cancelled these shows, regardless if it's a greatest hits setlist or not.

I don't understand this, though. The leg was supposed to happen last summer, not this summer. Would you rather they cancel the shows altogether? That's a serious question. It was even less likely they'd release a new album last summer, so I mean, these shows were already supposed to have happen. I'd be much more disappointed if they cancelled these shows, regardless if it's a greatest hits setlist or not.
Exactly! Sometimes I think people are forgetting that these are all postponed shows that should have happened last summer. I don't think they made up B's injury just to drag the tour over so long period. There are fans waiting for the show,happy with anything they play,just to see their idols. Everybody here,hating and losing faith in the band,there's a solution-burn all your cd's,tear down all the posters,delete all songs,cancel your forum memberhip,forget the band.

PopAcrobat, the difference is that had the leg not been delayed, it's likely they would have continued refining/adding songs from No Net; instead, the passage of time led them to conclude that the album was a failure (Wrong again, just like with Pop) and so they nit only drop songs that werent working right like Unknown Caller, but ones that were killing as well like the title track and Breathe.

I'm sorry, but none of those new songs are superior replacements for ANYTHING that was dropped.

And so the people with tickets have every right to feel like they signed up for somethjng totally different from what they're going to get.

I do wonder whether Edge (or the band) can have any notion at all of the disappointment/frustration felt by the kind of hardcore fans here on these forums? Do they understand us at all?!? :sad:

PopAcrobat, the difference is that had the leg not been delayed, it's likely they would have continued refining/adding songs from No Net; instead, the passage of time led them to conclude that the album was a failure (Wrong again, just like with Pop) and so they nit only drop songs that werent working right like Unknown Caller, but ones that were killing as well like the title track and Breathe.

I'm sorry, but none of those new songs are superior replacements for ANYTHING that was dropped.

And so the people with tickets have every right to feel like they signed up for somethjng totally different from what they're going to get.

Fair point on the loss of No Line songs - and I will say Breathe is one of my favorite songs on No Line (and favorite songs from U2 period), but it didn't work well for them live, at least as an opener. Rather see it later in the set and am disappointed it was dropped, but I don't think it worked terribly well live. No Line on the Horizon though, yeah, that f'ing rocked.

I think Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me and One Tree hill are more than welcome additions to the set as well. If that's the trade - I'll take it for sure.

I do see your point, but at the same time, I think it's unfair to call this leg a money grab.

I do wonder whether Edge (or the band) can have any notion at all of the disappointment/frustration felt by the kind of hardcore fans here on these forums? Do they understand us at all?!? :sad:

I'm sure at the moment, they're looking over a stadium full of rabidly happy fans in Chile. Hard to compare that to a handful of people on the internet who are unhappy.

I won't even say that's a bad thing. Sure, I wish they'd throw us poor shlubs a bone more often. Yeah, I wish they'd say 'fuck it' and decide they don't care about hits and do something daring.

I'm not going to stop liking them just because I get frustrated with some of their decisions. If I stop liking the music they're putting out, then that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom