Is there a U2 song that you just don't like??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dsmith2904 said:
I have one U2 song I absolutely cannot stand, "Sweetest Thing," and it's the U2 song that gets played on radio most out here.

I don't *hate* any U2 songs, however there are songs that I like less than others. Sweetest Thing is one of them. It didn't start off that way, though. I really liked the B-side before the radio version came out. It was like a little gem in the rough. Then it was played to death.
Other songs that rank low on my list of songs I like are:
Who's Gonna Ride YWH
Playboy Mansion
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Even Better than the Real Thing
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
Fortunate Son
Paint it Black
and a couple of others

But I still sing like a fool when I hear these songs.

:ohmy:

it's so funny to hear the songs that some of us do not enjoy.

i think the only song i really don't like by our boys is 'red light'. the lyrics aren't bad, but musically, it's their weakest performance. bono doesn't need the ladies as back-up singers, and there was waaayyyyy too much brass going on.

There is a difference between overplayed and ordinary dislike. A lot of their songs, namely Pride and ISHFWILF are overplayed and people have gotten tired of them. But that's not the same thing as initial dislike because you thought the song was bad. That's a different category.

I can honestly say that there is not a single song I don't like. I'm some kind of anomaly, I guess. Not to mention, I really love Miami and Playboy Mansion, and Some Days Are Better Than Others is one of my favorites off of Zooropa.

Boy & October tracks regularly collect dust in my collection. As for the rest, I don't care for Wake up dead man, playboy mansion, and wild honey.

My 2 cents..........

Only a few I don't want to hear every day of my life:

Promenade
Desire
Salome (90/00 b-side, never heard original)
Dirty Day
Peace On Earth (although probably the best on this list)

That's pretty much it. I definately prefer the b-side version of "Electrical Storm" over the single version.

partygirl2u said:
:sad: "Pride" I don't hate it but it's been OVERPLAYed to death!

I used to have that problem with WOWY, it just got so overdone. Hearing some really great live versions, though, really saved that song for me and I began to re-appreciate the great lyrics, music and all that. So sad the way radio can just absolutely slaughter even a great song.

Just Miami for me. There are several songs that I don't like, but when it comes to Miami, well, it takes the cake pretty easily.

When I saw that list that went on and on? Me = :ohmy:

I mean really. Was that a joke or something? :scratch:

one4u2 said:

Love you! Indian Summer Sky!! Red Hill Mining Town!

Same! How can people not like Indian Summer Sky and Red Hill Mining Town? They're great!

As for the songs I don't like, they're very few in number.

1. The Wanderer - It would have been far better with Bono singing. The lyrics are great, but I DO NOT LIKE JOHNNY CASH'S VOICE.

2. Grace - This song is the reason why I can't listen to ATYCLB in full.

3. Mothers of the Disappeared - I like the message, but I think it's rather boring.

4. Miami - The music is cool, but what was Bono thinking when he wrote this?!

GibsonGirl said:
[

4. Miami - The music is cool, but what was Bono thinking when he wrote this?! [/B]

I believe Bono was thinking about Miami :wink:
I just returned from there last week and it amazes me how well Bono captures the city, the feel of the place , the people , and the surgery in the air! I have never seen so many fake boobs. lol

:laugh: I LOVE MY Mammy

1. The Wanderer - It would have been far better with Bono singing. The lyrics are great, but I DO NOT LIKE JOHNNY CASH'S VOICE.
2. Grace - This song is the reason why I can't listen to ATYCLB in full.
3. Mothers of the Disappeared - I like the message, but I think it's rather boring.

Your first 3 choices were the album closers, it's like forgoing the cigarette after a passionate album with U2! This is the part where you lay there and remember how Mysterious Ways held you high by it's love.

Then again they put that really harsh train signal at the end of Wanderer, which bothers me to no end.

:wink: Just having fun with you. I tend to love the end songs, but don't require the same things of them that I do for the rest of the album. Just like opening songs, they serve a unique purpose on the album. Zoo Station is probably not in my top 50 songs, but I can't imagine starting AB or Zoo TV any other way.

Some that I can tolerate:

1. Shadows And Tall Trees
2. Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World
3. Stranger In A Strange Land

Some that I just don't like:

1. Drowning Man
2. When Love Comes To Town
3. Elvis Presley And America

Tranquilfire said:
I can honestly say that there is not a single song I don't like. I'm some kind of anomaly, I guess. Not to mention, I really love Miami and Playboy Mansion, and Some Days Are Better Than Others is one of my favorites off of Zooropa.

Tranquilfire, you should start the Miami/Playboy Mansion fan club!:lol:

I won't burden you with songs that I dislike because there are many...

but I will say that I respect that so many of you have your own songs that are so different from what everyone else would say. IOW, this is a compliment to a band that has tryed to experiment with almost every sound and type of song. To have a library of music this expansive with so many different "tastes" and "textures" is quite an accomplishment.

Tranquilfire, you should start the Miami/Playboy Mansion fan club!

You are so right! Miami bashers beware! I guess I could see how people could not like it. I think it rocks and it just reminds me of good times. But I definitely feel like the sole defender of Miami in the U2 world sometimes.

Am I the only one here who LIKES Love Rescue Me??? :huh: Seems like it. I especially love the live version.

*hides*

However, I'm on the "not liking 'Miami'" bandwagon. :p

And these songs I can only tolerate so much and I usually skip over:

Pride
New Year's Day
(yes I realize those were two of the earliest big hits for the bands, etc.)
Angel of Harlem
When Love Comes to Town (sometimes live it was okay)

AussieU2fanman, nice to know you don't hate the two Boomerangs.

Short list for me:
Miami
Unchained Melody
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Peace on Earth (I feel very guilty for this one! It has a wealth of emotion and an important message, but B's lyrics are sooo dismal, I really can't tolerate to listen to it. I guess you could say the song depressed me into disliking it....)

Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World and Stuck In A Moment are the ones I skip (actually, I enjoy listening to Stuck w/out the words, I'm just sick of hearing the lyrics and vocals 'cus annoying people used to sing it all the time).

I have to say the ones that come immediately to my mind are:

1) Desire
2) Mysterious Ways
3) Refugee

(But I may feel differently tomorrow. Fickleness - it's tough.)

:dance:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom