Is the Last Night On Earth video supposed to be a prediction...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
...of global warming? A few years from now will our boys be the only ones left driving around in a Cadilac while everyone else melts away?

(I dunno i'm just bored today)

Don't know but it's a great video.

I believe it was shot as a video for Staring at the sun but they changed it to a video for Last night on earth.

schnumi said:
Don't know but it's a great video.

I believe it was shot as a video for Staring at the sun but they changed it to a video for Last night on earth.

anyone ever synch up the audio to Staring with that video?

i dont know whats worse the song or the video :hmm:

well, the video has a big chick in it, so i guess its the song.

I think the video is cool. It's so wierd and different from everything else they've done. I actually think that Pop had the most creative music videos out of all U2's albums. I might even go as far to say that the 90s produced the most creative videos, period.

its a great video...it has a bit of a david lynch movie making feeling. william s borroughs is acting great :up:

I see the David Lynch thing, it's just a shame they didn't go further and weirder! Good video and song.

coolian2 said:
If Sophie Dahl is there as my world ends, i'm alright with it.

The Edge when he steals the car - funniest breaking of the fourth wall evah.

Amen to that especially as that's before she went all size zero!

schnumi said:
I wanted to quote this post and complain that I didn't think that that could possibly be, because the Last Night on Earth video is so perfect for the song, but I just checked the director commentary on the video, and the very beginning of it proved me wrong:

At one point I was asked to do a treatment for Staring at the Sun, forwarded it in, and never really heard anything about it. Anyway, it disappeared. And then a month later I get a phone call from Bono, "Hey Richie, you know that video treatment for Staring at the Sun? Well we really like it, but we want to use it for Last Night on Earth." And I kinda went, "Well I'm not sure if it really was made for that, but let me have a look at it." And the idea being that there's all this mayhem, B-movie style, only to find that this light source, this alien light, actually is just William Burroughs with a shopping cart.

So that's that. I guess it makes a little sense, and I was almost tempted to watch LNOE while SATS played, but I don't think I could bear to do that. I'm a huge fan of LNOE (both the song and the video), and not a huge fan of SATS (oddly, it's just the song I dislike, I love both videos)

I know this is a thread about Last night on Earth but as Staring AT The Sun was mentioned, does anyone else agree that the video for SATS was pretty bad and if they'd made a much better video the single could have been a much bigger hit??

An Cat Gav said:
I know this is a thread about Last night on Earth but as Staring AT The Sun was mentioned, does anyone else agree that the video for SATS was pretty bad and if they'd made a much better video the single could have been a much bigger hit??

The original version of SATS was pretty bad. I really liked Morleigh's version a lot more. It seemed to capture the exhaustion and sinister yet pathetic feel to the song.

Screwtape2 said:

The original version of SATS was pretty bad. I really liked Morleigh's version a lot more. It seemed to capture the exhaustion and sinister yet pathetic feel to the song.

I've never seen that version.
Where is it available, what's it like?

An Cat Gav said:
I've never seen that version.
Where is it available, what's it like?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGHpEKOCBJc

It's on the Best Of DVD as well, although it took me forever and a day to discover it. I had already watched everything else on the DVD several times, and finally I noticed "Steinberg" on the SATS menu, and I was like "omg alternate video! omg Morleigh!"

DreamOutLoud13 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGHpEKOCBJc

It's on the Best Of DVD as well, although it took me forever and a day to discover it. I had already watched everything else on the DVD several times, and finally I noticed "Steinberg" on the SATS menu, and I was like "omg alternate video! omg Morleigh!"

Seriously? I love that DVD but I've never seen the Morleigh version. i will rush home and check tonight.
Thanks

An Cat Gav said:
Seriously? I love that DVD but I've never seen the Morleigh version. i will rush home and check tonight.
Thanks
I see I'm not the only one that's crazy :crazy:

I think maybe it's just hard to notice because it doesn't have a commentary, and so it doesn't have that extra little icon next to the director's name :shrug:

I think the Last Night video is a real low point. I know it's supposed to be faux-cheap, but it just comes off as rushed. Kinda like Pop itself.

I actually like the original Staring video, especially knowing that all the effects were done in-camera. And as far as the song itself, I think the production is a bit plodding - it could have been a hit, I guess. But not the way it was presented on Pop - or even the new version.

ahittle said:
I think the Last Night video is a real low point. I know it's supposed to be faux-cheap, but it just comes off as rushed. Kinda like Pop itself.
aye, agree completely

thank god Pop is not as horrific as this video though

the last night on earth video was filmed in downtown kansas city, where i am from. many people from my high school skiped that day to watch bono and the boys drive around aroud the city's downtown highway exits and around the Bartle Hall area.

the funny part is that downtown kansas city ALWAYS looks like that. abandoned. it is like a ghost town metropolis, as if the bombs have already dropped.

you can walk around down there for long lengths of time and not run into anyone.

anyway, the treatment / script for the video may have originally been intended for SATS, but when they were shooting the video, it was definitely LNOE they were playing over the loudspeakers.

that, and the fact that this was months after the SATS single / video had been released. so it wasn't really SHOT with SATS in mind, just concieved that way on paper.

i often wonder what U2 was thinking when they came to town for their POPMART show that week. "what does KC have to offer? a post apocalyptic looking downtown area, and William Burroughs lives in Lawrence, Kansas (the college town nearby -- go KU Jayhawks)" let's film Last Night On Earth here.

the KC people weren't happy. Part of the highway was blocked to film the tank sequence, slowing highway traffic, and the bright spotlights/searchlights that shot upward during bullet the blue sky at Arrowhead prompted more UFO reports to local police than any other single even in Kansas City history.

U2 definitely made their mark on KC that week.

The video for Staring at the Sun with the light effects and such was really, really awesome. I really liked that version better than the other one that was just clips of the band standing around and goofing off.

Back
Top Bottom