Is the 3rd leg a big cash grab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the olive

The Fly
Is anyone else dissapointed in the 3rd leg cities? Another thread was posted that pointed out that there are only 4 "new" markets in the next set of dates. All of the other shows are close to or in cities that have already been played. I kind of wonder whether this schedule was put together just to earn the band some easy money... Why no Winnipeg, Edmonton, Sacramento, New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, Kansas City, St Louis, etc, etc?

4 years ago Kiss went on a "lost cities" tour after playing in the huge markets. They hit towns like Fargo and Omaha, places that have 9 or 10 thousand seat venues. They probably took in less profits, but they certainly proved that they were trying to please everyone. If Kiss can do it, why can't U2? If they are trying to save Bono's voice by doing limited shows then why do this leg at all?

Its funny you bring up Kiss, because in a lot of BIG markets, Kiss did not do that great. In fact some of those "lost cities" did better for Kiss than the Big Markets. Near where I live, Hershey, was one such place that did better than some big markets. The area I live in is strange, with a lot of metal classic rock fans, and teens that love boybands.
Some of these big markets that U2 played back in the spring/summer, soldout so fast that many fans did not get tickets. U2 hopes to play to the large number of U2 fans in big cities that were unable to get tickets the first round. Of course it is also a reward for the diehards that go to every show. U2 could probably do a 50 date Stadium tour of Europe right now. But their concentrating on the USA for now. U2 could probably do shows in Italy for two months straight!

Originally posted by STING:
Its funny you bring up Kiss, because in a lot of BIG markets, Kiss did not do that great.

Didn't Kiss's tour gross more than any other that year? I think I remember hearing that. There was a lot of talk about the great success of Kiss's comeback.

Originally posted by the olive:
I kind of wonder whether this schedule was put together just to earn the band some easy money...

That and satisfy a few fans that didn't make it last time round. U2 have got a good thing going with this tour, they are making money, they are having fun and are trying to please their fans by coming back for a few months, but NA is huge and you can't please all. It's hockey and basketball season- this makes many dates super hard at a ton of venues (*cough* St. Louis). I was a little upset to see Vancouver not make it (*cough* the Canucks), but we can't all get them this time round. It's a short, quick tour. This folks, we have to accept.

And does it really matter if it is a cash grab? A couple 100,000 people get happy in the end.

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

I still can't figure it...Kansas City doesn't have a legit pro team that utilizes Kemper Arena that much. Mainly just semi-pro stuff. It has to be a money issue...that or the moronic American Royal Rodeo that has the facility tied up from 10/26-11/5. Bastards!

Kiss did have the highest GROSS in 1996, but it was low compared to Mega tours by U2, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Eagles, Springsteen, and a few other acts. None of these artist were on tour in 1996 though. The Kiss tour stayed in Arena's except for one show in Detroit. Many shows did not completely sellout and those that did struggle to. They still managed to have the biggest Gross in 1996 though. But I can think of 10 artist right off the top of my head that could do better business. Of course, I'm just talking about tickets. The Kiss t-shirts, toys, etc adds a lot to their revenue.

Back
Top Bottom