Is October a underappreciated album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodysunday972

War Child
I slipped this in again the other day and Ive forgotten that from a rockin standpoint there are some songs that really stick out Rejoice being one but everybody I talked seems to think the album really isnt more then a transition album from Boy to War:madspit:

I think it is U2's weakest album, which makes it still great and therefore underappreciated.

We always argue about which albums are better (myself included), but I think it comes down to A- albums vs A albums vs A+ albums. That is why U2 is fantastic.

I don't think there are any bad songs on this album, just not alot of exceptional either.

October is the most underappreciated U2 album of their entire career. I personally think it's one of their best and definitely one of my favourites.

"There is a very cold atmosphere in the world at the moment. We called our record 'October' to reflect that..." - Bono

I think, despite him speaking in 1982, the album still has this really 'cold atmosphere' to it, and it's the perfect album to listen through October-December when it's dark and wet...I'm not going to spout crap like "Oh it's so HAUNTING...!" or anything like that :eyebrow: but it's not like any other U2 record and that's what makes it so good! :yes:

Whenever I listen to October, it always catches me off guard. It's one of those albums where I always seem to forget just how damn good it is.

It's an album I can always listen to straight through, and feel satisfied at the end. It's got great atmosphere, and alot of depth. That's something that I think War lacks, but I think Boy hints at it.

What bugs me about some criticism's of October is that there is no 'progression' as such, but there is the musical pregression of increased keyboards, which allowed for the creation of songs like I Fall Down and October....

Just wondering was there ever another mix of October? a remix even? It seems i have come across one off Soulseek, which has a synth part in it:eyebrow:

LJT said:
What bugs me about some criticism's of October is that there is no 'progression' as such, but there is the musical pregression of increased keyboards, which allowed for the creation of songs like I Fall Down and October....

Just wondering was there ever another mix of October? a remix even? It seems i have come across one off Soulseek, which has a synth part in it:eyebrow:
it's from a soundtrack for a movie called "They called it an accident"

October is a truly superb album. There's so much to love about the album that I can't believe it's so routinely forgotten or insulted.

bsp77 said:

We always argue about which albums are better (myself included), but I think it comes down to A- albums vs A albums vs A+ albums. That is why U2 is fantastic.

Exactly!

October seems to always be the album forgotten to me, but recently I've been listening to it more. It's really a great album. Gloria, Fire, and Tomorrow are among U2's best. Man I wish U2 would bring Fire back... :drool:

but yeah, I'd say October is very underrated and underappreciated, possibly even more than Pop (around here anyway. General public, I dunno, both are pretty nonexistant.) But Pop's a better album :wink:

Not there best not there worst, and has Gloria,Fire,October, and I fall down on it, I fall down to my knees to praise this, really underrated.

October seems to be very much a love/hate album. Personally I love it but other people hate it with a venom. There are a few people who don't fall into either category but I think it would be fair to say that for the majority of people here that isn't the case.

I don't think October is underappreciated as such, just that it doesn't have the universal love of say, AB. Here it certainly seems to crop up a fair bit more than other U2 albums like Zooropa. But I've not been here that long so that might be entirely true.

Irishteen I'm curious what do you think is the worst U2 album?

<Chokes> OK...I wasn't expecting that! ;) I suppose I can understand that view because I hate some songs on there (which shall remain nameless) but love others which keeps Pop safely from the bottom.

:applaud: Very brave of you (!)

October isn't my worst album, it's only the less great... if you know what I mean :bow: excluding Passengers of course

Tonight I'll listen to it when I'll go sleeping. I had already decided this before reading this topic :up:

And just to add i don't hate Pop, but as MacPhistoPT says about October it is the least great, Pop is good maybe even great but is still no chance at number 10.

IT's definately their worst album, and a big step in the wrong direction from boy, but i think it certainly has its songs. My favorites are: Gloria, I through a brick through a window, i fall down, and october

Back
Top Bottom