Is New Years' Day the greatest U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny, it wouldn't have come to mind as one of my favorites, but it's the one overplayed song that I'm the least sick of. It's certainly less tired than WOWY & Pride. And the piano is probably what puts it above SBS for me.

Don't know high it would rank, but aside from Streets (which is a deep song that's hard for me to listen to casually and by itself), it might be the best single of the 80's from them. Bad and AIWIY also require a commitment from the listener, and I hate the album version of the former anyway.

laz

Merely one fan's opinion

These songs are tied for my favourite U2 song.

"New Year's Day"
"Streets"
"Gloria"
"Hold me..kill me"

Twist my arm, and I'll say "New Year's Day" as my fave.

Edge pulling triple duty of keyboards, guitar, and backing vocals.

Bono's voice, the lyrics, could be about political struggle, maybe even struggle between a couple.

Larry's drumming fast, energetic.

And of course Adam, to which this song is one of his signature riffs, perhaps his most well-known/famous.

Last edited:
no i don't think NYD is their greatest song......
if pushed then i would have to say that 'Until the end of the world' is the greatest song by U2......

pub crawler said:
I think New Years Day is one of their best. It's still great live, too (much more so than most of the other classics).

Yep, I agree...that song always gets to me...like all the good "first's" in your life...its was the one, way back when...in 1983...i asked my boyfriend at the time..."what are you listening to"?..as he sat on there with an expression of being transformed to another place and time....he didnt answer...he just tooked off the headphones...placed them over my ears...and it was that song! i hadnt heard of U2 or New Year's Day at the time..but you better believe i wanted to know everything about them after hearing that song....its was a voice like no other, it was a guitar and piano part that gave me chills...it's pretty cool when a song makes you feel the same way it did 22 yrs ago..its great!

so yeah, for alot of reasons i feel its ONE of the best...just not THE BEST...and i cant commit to even a top 5 list...cuz im sorry, mine changes from time to time...as life goes on.

It's one of their best, but certainly not #1.

That of course, would go to Miami.:lol:

NYD is in my top 25 for sure

NYD is in my top 10, amazing song. Have heard it so many damn times and I never get sick of it. Adam's bassline is legendary, but in the end their best song? It's not, but right up there.

I don't know if it's their best but it certainly is one of their best. I love the metallic sound of the guitars with the beautiful piano melody. Indeed great lyrics and an awesome chorus. Plus one of Adam and Larry's finest moments. The drums may seem very simple but it really enhances the vocals with Larry's agressive beat. Any song that has Bono screaming kicks ass in my opinion. :rockon: One of their best live songs also IMO.

I'd say my top ten would be as follows:

10. Until The End Of The World
09. Pride
08. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
07. Acrobat
06. With Or Without You
05. New Year's Day
04. Heartland
03. All I Want Is You
02. Where The Streets Have No Name
01. Bad

the tourist said: