Is It Worth ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
In my case buying the U2 complete digital set ?

Just to explain what's my case , so far I own all U2 dvds , but only few albums : The 2 Bests of , Leave Behind and Bomb ....... Yeah not forgetting that recently bought RH ......

And that's it , in terms of U2 audio , Coz I don't have the singles being sold here ...... In Fact last week , I tried to put my hands , since a friend was coming back from the US , I had a good chance of putting my hands in 4 singles for around 21 dollars ..... Pretty good promotion ..... But it didn't happen

And now I see this box has all the singles , including all the albums I don't own , which in the end means I would pay less , if I went to collect disc by disc .

The problem is the amount of the criticism this box received , and If I'm not wrong there are about 40 songs duplicated ..... And lots of great B-sides like Satellite of Love , Paint it Black were left out

So What ya say ?

I say you just buy the singles individually from the digital set (I know you can do that at the Canadian iTunes shop, not sure about anywhere else.) And it's far better to buy the albums on CD. It may save you money in the short term, but you get much more with a CD in the long run. CD quality audio, for one, album sleeves for another. iTunes songs are in AAC/MP4 format. While being extremely high quality, it's not comparable to CD quality when listened to on headphones. And unless you make backups - which is time consuming and also expensive - you could lose all those songs if your computer crashes.

Plus, there are the duplicate copies of songs, which really aren't worth it. And you can find all of the unreleased tracks on the internet. So yes, I'd stay away from the digital set.

GibsonGirl said:
I say you just buy the singles individually from the digital set (I know you can do that at the Canadian iTunes shop, not sure about anywhere else.) And it's far better to buy the albums on CD. It may save you money in the short term, but you get much more with a CD in the long run. CD quality audio, for one, album sleeves for another. iTunes songs are in AAC/MP4 format. While being extremely high quality, it's not comparable to CD quality when listened to on headphones. And unless you make backups - which is time consuming and also expensive - you could lose all those songs if your computer crashes.

Plus, there are the duplicate copies of songs, which really aren't worth it. And you can find all of the unreleased tracks on the internet. So yes, I'd stay away from the digital set.

yea what she said

J_NP said:
In my case buying the U2 complete digital set ?

<snip>

The problem is the amount of the criticism this box received , and If I'm not wrong there are about 40 songs duplicated ..... And lots of great B-sides like Satellite of Love , Paint it Black were left out

So What ya say ?

The way I recalled it, the main criticism of the box set was the fact that the tracks exclusive to this boxset (early Boston concert from 1981, New Year's Eve concert 1989, outtakes) can't be bought any other way.
But apart from a few covers, this boxset does give you the complete U2. So if you don't have all of their albums (yet) and their singles, it's a very good value for money. Especially if you're listening to music on your computer most of the time.

Of course, in the end you probably want to buy all the albums on CD, but you already face that situation now, since you have the Best Of's and those tracks duplicate with the songs on the original albums. :wink:

So if you think it's worth the $150 (or whatever they're charging now), then I'd say go for it.

:)

MMMm very cool so far the answers , Appreciate the attention folks , but I would appreciate as well if people who did buy the thing , to come out here and gave it a word.

Buy the CDs. More than twice the quality, you can have the liner notes, you'll have the songs forever etc. etc..

It's ust a better deal. You can get all the rarer songs off of download sites and even here if you take a little time.

I bought it. I did and still do feel it was more than worth it, I'm very happy with it. You get 446 songs, besides all the albums, all the singles which aren't all that easy/cheap to find anymore, all the unreleased/rare stuff most of which I love, etc etc. I do listen to music mostly on the computer and ipod right now so this was perfect for me. You definitely do need to make a backup (I made 3 actually :coocoo: ) but if you have a DVD burner, it's just a matter of burning the files to a single DVD. Much more convenient and easier to me than having to run around trying to find the singles or unreleased tracks every time I want one. :shrug:

I should note that I got a $50 off coupon from someone here who wasn't using theirs (it came with the first U2 ipod) which made the price much better to me. I think I still have another coupon from the U2 ipod I just bought it so it would be yours if you want it, J_NP.

I love these threads with '.....' at the end. They make me actually want to see what the suprise is.

Please continue with these Kinder Suprise Threads! :drool:

neutral said:

I should note that I got a $50 off coupon from someone here who wasn't using theirs (it came with the first U2 ipod) which made the price much better to me. I think I still have another coupon from the U2 ipod I just bought it so it would be yours if you want it, J_NP.

Do it!

neutral said:

Suddenly you change my mind :wink:

This thing would help a lot , specially coz it seems that the 1st U2 ipod is gone , so I shouldn't have to go after it and all ..... I could buy a much simpler thing , around 140 dollars , plus buyin the collection for 99 dollars that would be incredible

And Yeah what u said it's true , there are incredible singles , like Stay and the full Stuck in a Moment which I just can't find new , and the other ones ......

One question Neutral , this coupon is like , it has a limited period of time to buy it or something like , like could the buy be made until january 2007 perhaps ?

And about the box , don't know if this sound kinda obvious , but I heard like problems with bass distorted when u hear with headphones , which to be honest I don't really care , but what I care is , what's like hearing in a Cd/DVD-whatever player or better in car , does it sound good , or with like no problems at all ?

Last edited:
J_NP said:

One question Neutral , this coupon is like , it has a limited period of time to buy it or something like , like could the buy be made until january 2007 perhaps ?

And about the box , don't know if this sound kinda obvious , but I heard like problems with bass distorted when u hear with headphones , which to be honest I don't really care , but what I care is , what's like hearing in a Cd/DVD-whatever player or better in car , does it sound good , or with like no problems at all ?

Well I finally got home to check the coupon and it's only good for 120 days after purchase and I bought mine on April 20, so it expires soon. :crazy: I'm sorry, that probably doesn't help you. :sigh: You could maybe get a coupon from someone later though, not sure.

Honestly it sounds fine to me even on headphones turned up full volume. (Yeah I'm gonna wreck my hearing. :reject: )

No.

It's not worth buying. You can get all the "rare" tracks. This includes The unreleased stuff. I've had those concerts in good quality for years before the Itunes release.

And I managed to find the unreleased songs in good quality 1 day after the Box Set was released.

It's a great deal for people who don't frequent U2 message boards. It's a terrible deal for those who do frequent U2 message boards.

Which songs are you most interested in?:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom