is it USA or America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
if you want to get technical (and I see that you do

i am all about getting technical.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy:
i dont know, but aren we americans too?

I see you are from Honduras...wouldn't that make you Honduran? And if you were from Canada you would be Canadian.
Russia is part of the continent of Asia but they don't call themselves Asians...

------------------
~*Honey*~

The doors you open
I just can't close...

If you dream,
Dream out loud

Russians dont call themselves Asians because they are Europeans.
Or are they Asian?

People from the States are Americans and so are Canadians and South Americans. Its a silly argument really.

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 11-18-2001).]

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Russians dont call themselves Asians because they are Europeans.

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 11-18-2001).]

Go check an atlas girly, Russia is not completely part of the European Continent.
biggrin.gif

Because it's like that.

Try to establish your own identity instead!

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

LOL, bullet.

------------------
And I have no religion
And I don't know what's what

don't find yourself in someone else!

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

how come people call the usa america?????????
isnt the whole continent called AMERICA? we have the right to be called americans as well... share a continent please.

since our country's name is the United States of America, it makes sense to say "Americans"

what do you want us to call ourselves? United Statians? United Staters? USAers? USers?

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 11-18-2001).]

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
since our country's name is the United States of America, it makes sense to say "Americans"

what do you want us to call ourselves? United Statians? United Staters? USAers? USers?

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 11-18-2001).]

no wanderer, you're a mid-american, i'm in canada so i'm an upper-american, and browneyedboy you are, of course, a lower american. enough with the nations, things are much easier this way.

------------------

so you would rather call yourself an "upper American" than a Canadian? actually, if you want to get technical (and I see that you do), I am an upper middle/lower upper American

boy, you got to love these new designations!!!

Given that USA means united states, wouldn't it be like (example) a "californian" - who is thus an american?
Thats how it starded out and probably how it will keep going. All you other american countries - if you give the USA long enough, you'll all just become states anyway
biggrin.gif

conquests? that's funny...and from canada!

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

What about gringoes?
biggrin.gif

Just kidding, LOL. I?m Brazilian and American concerning the continent, same way as, lets see, lady is Canadian and American or what a bomb is British and European and christiana is Chinese and Asian...okay you got my point. A citizen from USA is, well, American and American, LOL

But why America? Shouldn?t the whole continent be named Colombia, if you think about the man who "oficially" discovered the so-called new world, Christopher Columbus (spelling?)? We would be all Colombians. Think about that.
wink.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Originally posted by follower:
What about gringoes?
biggrin.gif

Shouldn?t the whole continent be named Colombia, if you think about the man who "oficially" discovered the so-called new world, Christopher Columbus (spelling?)? We would be all Colombians. Think about that.
wink.gif

"cristopher columbus didnt discover america, he merely detected it" oscar wilde, from the picture of dorian gray

it just shows how selfish u gringos are. and dont offense of that, its just a nickname we have for u

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Well Wanderer it should be United States of the Americas...You guys just monopolized the expression somewhere along the line (and that's why no one up here anyways wants to be associated with it!
wink.gif
)

But yes, indeed....technically speaking, we're all Americans (and I mean of the continents, not the country!)

Hey Canadians, notice how we NEVER say America?? we always say "States" "U.S." or whatever but never ever call it America.

Originally posted by NicaMom:
North American, Central American, South American...We're all American.
smile.gif

It's just a little complex that a few Central and South American have.
biggrin.gif

I think alot of Latin Americans feel that the US stole our continent's name. I personally could care less. I'm a Salvadoran-Canadian, but technically we are all American.

It's weird though. Why did the US name themselves "United States Of America".

That's like France calling themselves "United Provinces Of Europe" and then expecting everyone to call them Europeans. Does that make sense?

Anyways, back to work.

*sigh* I guess I'll put in my 2 cents...First of all the "new world" was coined the "Americas." As the territory now known as the United States was settled by the British it became known as America as well. Other British Colonies were given other names besides America. When the 7 continents were named America was used in the titles for reference.
Since it's inception, the United States of America has gone by a number of abbrievations; America being one of them. However, if one were to say that they are an "American" one would assume that they were from the United States proper and not some random place on the continent of N or S America. To be an American has a patriotic meaning to it, ie the song "Proud to Be An American."
I am proud to be a US citizen and I do not see why others would want to claim to be Americans when, in fact, they are residents of another country (unless this has to do with the INS or something??) Be proud of who you are.
And yes, Americans don't share well...
biggrin.gif

*prepares for worst*

[This message has been edited by WildHoneyAlways (edited 11-19-2001).]

Yes, but it was U.S. citizens who monopolized the term; it was not other citizens of the Americas calling people of the U.S. Americans!!!

Canadians, Salvadorians, Mexicans, etc could just have easily taken the term to describe themselves...it just happened to be you guys.

surprise, surprise
wink.gif

does any other country in this hemisphere have anything equivalent to our Monroe Doctine? in a nutshell it states that we have the responsibility of maintaining stability in both north and south america. and its a few hundred years old, long before we were a superpower. if there's one country on this block that can generally call itself "americans", i'd say it would be us. besides, what does everyone else call us?

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

Oh, and I think you're missing a point...when North, Central, South Americans consider themselves "Americans" they do not mean U.S. citizens!!!!!!
(so no, nothing to do with the INS, your healthcare system, or anything like that...)
We're talking about the term "American" in the continental sense...

I don't think you realize that a lot of Latin American citizens consider themselves Americans but they're talking solely about the continent, and not trying to lay claim to your country!! lol!

Back
Top Bottom