is it USA or America? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2001, 10:43 AM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Given that USA means united states, wouldn't it be like (example) a "californian" - who is thus an american?
Thats how it starded out and probably how it will keep going. All you other american countries - if you give the USA long enough, you'll all just become states anyway

Old 11-19-2001, 03:16 PM   #22
Babyface

Local Time: 12:32 PM
conquests? that's funny...and from canada!

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

Old 11-19-2001, 03:31 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 09:32 AM
What about gringoes?

Just kidding, LOL. I´m Brazilian and American concerning the continent, same way as, lets see, lady is Canadian and American or what a bomb is British and European and christiana is Chinese and Asian...okay you got my point. A citizen from USA is, well, American and American, LOL

But why America? Shouldn´t the whole continent be named Colombia, if you think about the man who "oficially" discovered the so-called new world, Christopher Columbus (spelling?)? We would be all Colombians. Think about that.

------------------
Seu país é lindo. Seu povo é lindo. Suas vozes são lindas. Não esqueceremos vocês. - Bono - São Paulo - 01/31/1998
Old 11-19-2001, 04:23 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by follower:
What about gringoes?

Shouldn´t the whole continent be named Colombia, if you think about the man who "oficially" discovered the so-called new world, Christopher Columbus (spelling?)? We would be all Colombians. Think about that.

"cristopher columbus didnt discover america, he merely detected it" oscar wilde, from the picture of dorian gray

it just shows how selfish u gringos are. and dont offense of that, its just a nickname we have for u

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me
Old 11-20-2001, 02:10 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:32 AM

Well Wanderer it should be United States of the Americas...You guys just monopolized the expression somewhere along the line (and that's why no one up here anyways wants to be associated with it! )

But yes, indeed....technically speaking, we're all Americans (and I mean of the continents, not the country!)

Hey Canadians, notice how we NEVER say America?? we always say "States" "U.S." or whatever but never ever call it America.

Old 11-20-2001, 02:24 AM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by NicaMom:
North American, Central American, South American...We're all American.
It's just a little complex that a few Central and South American have.
I think alot of Latin Americans feel that the US stole our continent's name. I personally could care less. I'm a Salvadoran-Canadian, but technically we are all American.

It's weird though. Why did the US name themselves "United States Of America".

That's like France calling themselves "United Provinces Of Europe" and then expecting everyone to call them Europeans. Does that make sense?

Anyways, back to work.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:43 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:32 AM
*sigh* I guess I'll put in my 2 cents...First of all the "new world" was coined the "Americas." As the territory now known as the United States was settled by the British it became known as America as well. Other British Colonies were given other names besides America. When the 7 continents were named America was used in the titles for reference.
Since it's inception, the United States of America has gone by a number of abbrievations; America being one of them. However, if one were to say that they are an "American" one would assume that they were from the United States proper and not some random place on the continent of N or S America. To be an American has a patriotic meaning to it, ie the song "Proud to Be An American."
I am proud to be a US citizen and I do not see why others would want to claim to be Americans when, in fact, they are residents of another country (unless this has to do with the INS or something??) Be proud of who you are.
And yes, Americans don't share well...
*prepares for worst*

[This message has been edited by WildHoneyAlways (edited 11-19-2001).]
Old 11-20-2001, 02:47 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yes, but it was U.S. citizens who monopolized the term; it was not other citizens of the Americas calling people of the U.S. Americans!!!

Canadians, Salvadorians, Mexicans, etc could just have easily taken the term to describe themselves...it just happened to be you guys.

surprise, surprise

Old 11-20-2001, 02:48 AM   #29
Babyface

does any other country in this hemisphere have anything equivalent to our Monroe Doctine? in a nutshell it states that we have the responsibility of maintaining stability in both north and south america. and its a few hundred years old, long before we were a superpower. if there's one country on this block that can generally call itself "americans", i'd say it would be us. besides, what does everyone else call us?

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"
Old 11-20-2001, 02:50 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oh, and I think you're missing a point...when North, Central, South Americans consider themselves "Americans" they do not mean U.S. citizens!!!!!!
(so no, nothing to do with the INS, your healthcare system, or anything like that...)
We're talking about the term "American" in the continental sense...

I don't think you realize that a lot of Latin American citizens consider themselves Americans but they're talking solely about the continent, and not trying to lay claim to your country!! lol!
Old 11-20-2001, 02:52 AM   #31
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
for fuck's sake
LOL. let's shake our heads in unison.

Old 11-20-2001, 02:54 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2NYC420:
besides, does everyone else call us?

Well I happen to call my good American friend "yankee doodle" actually...just ask him!

...and hmmm, because you laid the groundwork for your hemispheric ambitions/conquests in the Monroe Doctrine, that automatically gives you the right to call yourselves Americans? Interesting but I don't see the link at all...
Old 11-20-2001, 02:59 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
for fuck's sake
It's that British indifference that got us here in the first place! lol!!