Is it too late to stop "Discotheque" from being put on the Best of 1990-2000?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superape

Babyface
Is it too late to stop "Discotheque" from being put on the Best of 1990-2000?

Is it too late to stop "Discotheque" from being put on the Best of 1990-2000? Obviously I don't know for sure that it will, but since the band was still playing it on the Elevation tour it worries me.
I think the track was what gave POP a lot of its bad name and should have been relegated to B-Side status.
The idea it of bumping out better tracks from any the 90's albums makes me cringe. Please, guys, LEMON but not DISCOTHEQUE!

well look at it this way...

we arent the ones in charge of everything, u2 will decide what goes on.

see it works best that way.

i mean think of it this way, after i see you post such a stupid and redundant thread like this, it makes me wish i had the powers to restrict your posting priviledges. but i cant. cause im not in charge. so im not going to worry about it.

just like you shouldnt worry about whether or not discoteque makes it on the cd.

i mean afterall, you could just skip the song.

and on a personal note, the song is fantastic.

I like the song too...plus, it was the first single off of Pop...I still remember the first time I heard it! I was blown away (in a good way!). :kiss:

I'd like to see it left off. It was a source of ridicule for the band and I think maybe it's best left off "Best of." People who love it can still hear it on Pop and the kind of fan who would buy Best of probably wouldn't want it anyway, or could do without it. It really doesn't fit in with the rest of the stuff that will probably be on there. I'd like to see it replaced by "Gone" but it won't be since that wasn't a single.

While I do believe that it being the first song released off POP added to POP's bad rap, I love the song. Of course they wouldn't leave it off the Best Of. That's crazy talk!

I have already convinced myself that U2 never recorded a song called "Discotheque" they just couldn't have...

Well some people here , are not very polite

ouizy said:
I have already convinced myself that U2 never recorded a song called "Discotheque" they just couldn't have...

ouch , very ouch :eyebrow: :mad: :censored: :rant:

I posted a similiar comment a few weeks back. Don't get me wrong, I like the song but i think it represents what people liked least about POP. It's possible it might turn a few people off if it's on the Best Of. Still, it's only one song so it probably doesn't really matter. I'd say there is a good chance of a remixed Gone on the B.O., they really seem to like that song. Personally, I'd rather see Mofo on there than Discotheque, in a tougher remix, though I do love the POP version anyway.

I fully agree, I actually love POP, I just think Discotheque is a bad song.

I also think the live version is better than the recorded one...

I wouldn't mind having the song in the best of CD.........now if they wanted to add another POP single I would be happy either way:yes:

This song was a HUGE hit. The single was in the top 20 if I remember correctly, along with being a #1 in the U.K. There's no way it won't be on the album.

Plus, it's simply a flat out rocker, which is something the new compilation will need. It's one of my faves from Pop and I would cry if it didn't appear on the Best Of for one reason or another.

Excellent post. I actually think Discotheque, in particular the video, set forth the POP downward spiral. First, let me say when I first heard the song, I loved. Second, I love POP. If you go back and read the reviews for POP, they are all very good across the board (even SPIN who hates U2). But I think a song named Discotheque, the video, and the POPMART tour gave non U2 fans and the media alike the wrong impression. I think it should have been marketed better. ATYCLB was marketed brilliantly. You can tell an album is marketed well when the casual listener will have a postive image about an album. When I speak to a non-U2 fan they always say they hated POP. What I mean by marketing is recahing the non-U2 fans. Having U2 drsss up as the village people gave non-U2 fans the wrong idea about the album.

it was only the video that set the tone of the reception of the album. the song is not actually all that bad; i love the guitar solo-esque bit

Actually, I know some non-U2 fans (well, maybe not non-fans...just not hardcore...ones that know a few songs) who really liked POP. so who knows, really?

agreed MOFO--but I feel the videom has tainted the song for me--it just bothers me because on certain days, POP is my favorite album, and I do feel it has the best lyrics of any U2 album. It just bothers me that the perception of that album is what killed it--not the music. I think "Please" is one of the best songs they've ever done.

Zoomerang96 said:
well look at it this way...

we arent the ones in charge of everything, u2 will decide what goes on.

see it works best that way.

i mean think of it this way, after i see you post such a stupid and redundant thread like this, it makes me wish i had the powers to restrict your posting priviledges. but i cant. cause im not in charge. so im not going to worry about it.

just like you shouldnt worry about whether or not discoteque makes it on the cd.

i mean afterall, you could just skip the song.

and on a personal note, the song is fantastic.

Great post and I agree with you 100%

Did I just say that? :help:

i think Discotheque is a good song. i like the guitar riff and the vocals are pretty good. i like the bridge. i love pop and i dont see whats wron with it...well maybe miami...but its still a great album

'Discotheque' is a good rocker, but if including it means that either one of 'Gone' or 'Until The End Of The World' is left off, I would not want it on the Best Of. It doesn't come close to those other two songs, in my opinion. It will be on there, though; it's pretty much a guarantee.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that it's almost impossible to hum 'Dischoteque'? The only part that's actually hummable (is that a word?) is the, "...wanna' be the song..." part. If you try humming the chorus or any other part, it just sounds plain bad. Makes me wonder if it's really a song or just a whole bunch of really cool noises. Just something to consider...

I think Discotheque is a great song, both on the album and live. I am glad they still play it occasionally, it was rocking at the opening show in Miami. I think all the talk that it should have been left off the album and made a b-side is rediculous. If it had been a b-side, I doubt the album would have been any better recieved and we'd all be wondering why they never put it on the album. Personally I think it's one of U2's most creative moments. It's a psuedo-dance song done in a way that still remains U2.

GOOD NEWS!

superape said:
Is it too late to stop "Discotheque" from being put on the Best of 1990-2000? Obviously I don't know for sure that it will, but since the band was still playing it on the Elevation tour it worries me.
I think the track was what gave POP a lot of its bad name and should have been relegated to B-Side status.
The idea it of bumping out better tracks from any the 90's albums makes me cringe. Please, guys, LEMON but not DISCOTHEQUE!

I don't know if you have read the news, but U2 are remixing Pop now. Unlike other bands who just submit a list to their record label to compile, U2 take a different approach as described by the Edge for the Best Of 1980-1990.

U2 actually go back to the studio and listen to the original master tapes. This is where they found that the original master tape to Gloria was so beat up, it wasn't feasible to remaster Gloria. This is also where Bono was quoted as saying "I can't belive I sounded like a screaming girl back then."

So now for the Best of 1990-2000, U2 have been listening to the master tapes of their 90's albums. It's no surprise why of all the albums, it is Pop they are remixing. When they listened to POP again, they just realized how bad it was compared to their other works. So they volunteered to remix POP, and put these remixes on the b-sides of the singles to be released for this compilation.

Using simple logic, if U2's POP "A"-sides weren't bad to begin with, they wouldn't remix it. They are remixing it out of an admission of inferior quality of the originals. And even these tweaked and corrected remixes are going to be b-sides of a single, so you can expect the untweaked, unremixed, atrocious originals to be left off the album.

In short, Discotheque won't make it to the Best Of 1990-2000.

Cheers,

J

Re: GOOD NEWS!

jick said:

In short, Discotheque won't make it to the Best Of 1990-2000.

Of course it will. "Discotheque" was U2's last Top 10 hit in the U.S. It also was only the second U2 single to go Gold ("Desire" being the first). While U2 have had bigger hits, in terms of chart rankings, only "Desire" and "Discotheque" sold well enough to go Gold in the U.S. "Discotheque" also went to #1 in many other countries, like the U.K., Canada, Ireland and Australia. With that type of success, the song will DEFINITELY be included on the second "Best Of."

As for U2 remixing "Pop".... U2 have previously remixed several "Pop" songs for their release as singles, like "Last Night on Earth." U2 also altered how they performed other "Pop" songs, like "Staring at the Sun" - turning it into a beautiful acoustic ballad that became a huge hit in concert. However, out of all the "Pop" tracks, "Discotheque" seems the most polished. I received the impression that U2 really fancied this song and have no intention of remixing it. They appear to have done all that they wanted to do with this song - hence why it was the first single. They may remix several other "Pop" tracks for the second "Best Of", but not this one.

Also, don't over-interpret the word "remix." U2 have often "remixed" many of their songs for their single releases, by either shortening them, including another verse, changing a beginning or end or adding new vocals. They have done this for years, not just with "Pop" tracks. "New Years Day" is shorter as a single. "Pride" has another verse - with Bono's vocals far more "raw" in that verse than they are in the rest of the song. "Who's Gonna Ride..." had the beginning changed. Altering songs for singles is NOT unique to "Pop" and it should not necessarily be viewed as U2 disliking "Pop". That is, these rumored remixes do NOT mean that the songs are "bad" - just that U2 is looking for a new spin on them.

Any artist will tell you that there are many directions one can take with any type of artwork, be it a painting, a photo, a drawing or a song. The techno-dance song "Days Go By" is a huge hit, in both the U.S. and U.K. However, recently, I heard an acoustic version of this song and it was stunning. A song that I associated only with clubs (or a car commercial) now became this powerful song with a rather touching message. I get the feeling that U2 are doing something similar here - they are looking an another interpretation of these songs.

Why does U2 appear to be focusing only on "Pop" and not songs from other 90's albums? First, the rumor may not be completely true. Perhaps U2 are ALSO examining other songs from other albums, but only the "Pop" remixes were leaked to the press. Also, it seems that many of U2's earlier 90's works have already been heavily mixed and remixed. For example, there seem to be 15,000 versions of "Lemon." :D U2 has their choice of any of those tracks. Lastly, perhaps it is a bit of ego. "Pop" was an unexpected set-back for U2 and maybe now they are taking another look at that album, to see if they can give these wonderful, yet sadly overlooked, songs a new life.

Regardless, I wil be stunned not to see "Discotheque" on the next "Best Of."

All of that said, I do think U2 hurt themselves choosing "Discotheque" as the first single from "Pop". I feel that if U2 went with "Staring at the Sun", it would have captured many more fans and not turned them off to "Pop" and the tour. "Discotheque" may have worked far better as as econ (or third) single. It would have been something that was light and fun (at least on the surface) which would have been perfect after the more heavy message of "Staring...". But by going with the superficially lighter song first, that had the frivolous video, many so-so fans (and even die-hards) lost interest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom