Is it too late to stop "Discotheque" from being put on the Best of 1990-2000? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2002, 08:15 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 07:32 PM
I always thought that the "Best Of" albums were different to "Greatest Hits" ones... that way, artists can put on songs that weren't necessarily big hits or even released as singles, but are certainly among the best works in their musical cannon.

In that case, why was I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For on the Best Of 1980-1990?

Old 08-29-2002, 04:21 PM   #42
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
"Discotheque" reached #10 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. This is the same chart where "Beautiful Day" reached #21, "Desire" reached #3 and "With or Without You" hit #1.
i seriously had no idea discotheque and desire did so well.

i knew wowy reached #1 as did ishfwilf, but i have another question, billboard god. did sats ever reach #1? i was watching a pop-up video once (not of that song, it was the verve pipe song "freshmen") and they made it sound like it did. but i never remember it doing that well.

Old 08-29-2002, 04:34 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i seriously had no idea discotheque and desire did so well.

i knew wowy reached #1 as did ishfwilf, but i have another question, billboard god. did sats ever reach #1? i was watching a pop-up video once (not of that song, it was the verve pipe song "freshmen") and they made it sound like it did. but i never remember it doing that well.

You must come to the dark-side and read more "Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills" threads.

SATS peaked at #26 on the Billboard Hot 100. However, it did hit #1 on the Modern Rock charts.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:40 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:32 PM
The question I've always had, is how could The Best Of 1980-90 NOT have 'Running To Stand Still'? RTSS just might be the most beautiful, fragile and tender song U2 have ever recorded. Maybe that's why they chose to leave it off?
Old 08-29-2002, 04:50 PM   #45
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
The question I've always had, is how could The Best Of 1980-90 NOT have 'Running To Stand Still'? RTSS just might be the most beautiful, fragile and tender song U2 have ever recorded. Maybe that's why they chose to leave it off?
There is a very very long list of songs that I'd rather were on there instead of When Love Comes to Town
Old 08-29-2002, 07:56 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:32 PM

I dunno... I know that was an opinion question but it's really not up to us to decide what goes on their album. Whatever U2 wants on that new best of's album is what they're going to pick, not us... unless they add a poll in their site or something... oh well. I liked Discotheque though anyway, even if it's going to be or not going to be the new album.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:08 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by bullet the blue sky

In that case, why was I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For on the Best Of 1980-1990?
What do you mean? Didn't it do really well?

Ah, I was just reminded of something...I played JT for my college roommate freshman year. She didn't recognize Streets at all, but when ISHFWILF came on, she said, "Okay, I know I've heard this one!"
Old 08-29-2002, 09:12 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 07:32 PM
I will let someone else explain it to you.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:12 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK

There is a very very long list of songs that I'd rather were on there instead of When Love Comes to Town
I agree - R&H was WAY over-represented on the first "Best Of." They could have easily tossed in "Gloria" or any other song from the 80's instead (or in addition to).

While I like "Pop", I hope that U2 also don't have "Pop" dominate the second "Best Of" the way R&H dominated the first. "Pop" has some good songs, but given that it's a fairly recent release and that it wasn't *that* popular, I think U2 should make sure this second "Best Of" is a bit more even, with more tracks from "Zooropa", OS1 and some side projects (not to mention AB, of course).

Quote:
Originally posted by bullet the blue sky
I always thought that the "Best Of" albums were different to "Greatest Hits" ones... that way, artists can put on songs that weren't necessarily big hits or even released as singles, but are certainly among the best works in their musical cannon.

I think in theory that you are right, but in reality usually "Best Of" is just another name for "Greatest Hits". Only if an artist has NUMEROUS "Greatest Hits" packages already released will a true "Best Of" come out. Of course, even then there will be redundancy as clearly some of the "best" songs will have been a "greatest hit" as well. Nonetheless, given that U2 has only one "Best Of" release to date, it's not surprising to see it full of most of their hits (with a few exceptions...).

As for "I Still..." I feel it is a "best of" and certainly belongs in the collection. In contrast, "When Love Comes to Town" should have been left off.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:15 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

AB should dominate the new Best Of!
Old 08-30-2002, 07:21 PM   #51
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 PM
I Think it would be a brave move to put Discotheque on the Best Of Album, They could stick it up the critics who hate it and gain some respect for the Song.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:47 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by stagman
I Think it would be a brave move to put Discotheque on the Best Of Album, They could stick it up the critics who hate it and gain some respect for the Song.
That would be cool! Another thing they could do, if the "remixing" rumors are true, is re-release the single with a new music video where they're not looking so much like the Village People...