Is it too late to stop "Discotheque" from being put on the Best of 1990-2000? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2002, 09:15 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Actually, I know some non-U2 fans (well, maybe not non-fans...just not hardcore...ones that know a few songs) who really liked POP. so who knows, really?

Old 08-26-2002, 09:17 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 12:59 PM
agreed MOFO--but I feel the videom has tainted the song for me--it just bothers me because on certain days, POP is my favorite album, and I do feel it has the best lyrics of any U2 album. It just bothers me that the perception of that album is what killed it--not the music. I think "Please" is one of the best songs they've ever done.

Old 08-26-2002, 09:39 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by madonna's child
I think it's boring. Mofo is much better.

That would kick, but that'll never happen.

*prays hard anyway
Old 08-26-2002, 09:41 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

That would kick, but that'll never happen.

*prays hard anyway
I especially love Mofo live!
Old 08-26-2002, 11:16 PM   #25
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
well look at it this way...

we arent the ones in charge of everything, u2 will decide what goes on.

see it works best that way.

i mean think of it this way, after i see you post such a stupid and redundant thread like this, it makes me wish i had the powers to restrict your posting priviledges. but i cant. cause im not in charge. so im not going to worry about it.

just like you shouldnt worry about whether or not discoteque makes it on the cd.

i mean afterall, you could just skip the song.

and on a personal note, the song is fantastic.
Great post and I agree with you 100%

Did I just say that?
Old 08-27-2002, 05:20 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:59 PM
i think Discotheque is a good song. i like the guitar riff and the vocals are pretty good. i like the bridge. i love pop and i dont see whats wron with it...well maybe miami...but its still a great album
Old 08-27-2002, 05:40 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:59 PM
'Discotheque' is a good rocker, but if including it means that either one of 'Gone' or 'Until The End Of The World' is left off, I would not want it on the Best Of. It doesn't come close to those other two songs, in my opinion. It will be on there, though; it's pretty much a guarantee.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that it's almost impossible to hum 'Dischoteque'? The only part that's actually hummable (is that a word?) is the, "...wanna' be the song..." part. If you try humming the chorus or any other part, it just sounds plain bad. Makes me wonder if it's really a song or just a whole bunch of really cool noises. Just something to consider...
Old 08-27-2002, 05:54 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 07:59 PM
I think Discotheque is a great song, both on the album and live. I am glad they still play it occasionally, it was rocking at the opening show in Miami. I think all the talk that it should have been left off the album and made a b-side is rediculous. If it had been a b-side, I doubt the album would have been any better recieved and we'd all be wondering why they never put it on the album. Personally I think it's one of U2's most creative moments. It's a psuedo-dance song done in a way that still remains U2.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:08 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 AM
GOOD NEWS!

Quote:
Originally posted by superape
Is it too late to stop "Discotheque" from being put on the Best of 1990-2000? Obviously I don't know for sure that it will, but since the band was still playing it on the Elevation tour it worries me.
I think the track was what gave POP a lot of its bad name and should have been relegated to B-Side status.
The idea it of bumping out better tracks from any the 90's albums makes me cringe. Please, guys, LEMON but not DISCOTHEQUE!
I don't know if you have read the news, but U2 are remixing Pop now. Unlike other bands who just submit a list to their record label to compile, U2 take a different approach as described by the Edge for the Best Of 1980-1990.

U2 actually go back to the studio and listen to the original master tapes. This is where they found that the original master tape to Gloria was so beat up, it wasn't feasible to remaster Gloria. This is also where Bono was quoted as saying "I can't belive I sounded like a screaming girl back then."

So now for the Best of 1990-2000, U2 have been listening to the master tapes of their 90's albums. It's no surprise why of all the albums, it is Pop they are remixing. When they listened to POP again, they just realized how bad it was compared to their other works. So they volunteered to remix POP, and put these remixes on the b-sides of the singles to be released for this compilation.

Using simple logic, if U2's POP "A"-sides weren't bad to begin with, they wouldn't remix it. They are remixing it out of an admission of inferior quality of the originals. And even these tweaked and corrected remixes are going to be b-sides of a single, so you can expect the untweaked, unremixed, atrocious originals to be left off the album.

In short, Discotheque won't make it to the Best Of 1990-2000.

Cheers,

J
Old 08-28-2002, 07:08 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: GOOD NEWS!

Quote:
Originally posted by jick

In short, Discotheque won't make it to the Best Of 1990-2000.
Of course it will. "Discotheque" was U2's last Top 10 hit in the U.S. It also was only the second U2 single to go Gold ("Desire" being the first). While U2 have had bigger hits, in terms of chart rankings, only "Desire" and "Discotheque" sold well enough to go Gold in the U.S. "Discotheque" also went to #1 in many other countries, like the U.K., Canada, Ireland and Australia. With that type of success, the song will DEFINITELY be included on the second "Best Of."

As for U2 remixing "Pop".... U2 have previously remixed several "Pop" songs for their release as singles, like "Last Night on Earth." U2 also altered how they performed other "Pop" songs, like "Staring at the Sun" - turning it into a beautiful acoustic ballad that became a huge hit in concert. However, out of all the "Pop" tracks, "Discotheque" seems the most polished. I received the impression that U2 really fancied this song and have no intention of remixing it. They appear to have done all that they wanted to do with this song - hence why it was the first single. They may remix several other "Pop" tracks for the second "Best Of", but not this one.

Also, don't over-interpret the word "remix." U2 have often "remixed" many of their songs for their single releases, by either shortening them, including another verse, changing a beginning or end or adding new vocals. They have done this for years, not just with "Pop" tracks. "New Years Day" is shorter as a single. "Pride" has another verse - with Bono's vocals far more "raw" in that verse than they are in the rest of the song. "Who's Gonna Ride..." had the beginning changed. Altering songs for singles is NOT unique to "Pop" and it should not necessarily be viewed as U2 disliking "Pop". That is, these rumored remixes do NOT mean that the songs are "bad" - just that U2 is looking for a new spin on them.

Any artist will tell you that there are many directions one can take with any type of artwork, be it a painting, a photo, a drawing or a song. The techno-dance song "Days Go By" is a huge hit, in both the U.S. and U.K. However, recently, I heard an acoustic version of this song and it was stunning. A song that I associated only with clubs (or a car commercial) now became this powerful song with a rather touching message. I get the feeling that U2 are doing something similar here - they are looking an another interpretation of these songs.

Why does U2 appear to be focusing only on "Pop" and not songs from other 90's albums? First, the rumor may not be completely true. Perhaps U2 are ALSO examining other songs from other albums, but only the "Pop" remixes were leaked to the press. Also, it seems that many of U2's earlier 90's works have already been heavily mixed and remixed. For example, there seem to be 15,000 versions of "Lemon." U2 has their choice of any of those tracks. Lastly, perhaps it is a bit of ego. "Pop" was an unexpected set-back for U2 and maybe now they are taking another look at that album, to see if they can give these wonderful, yet sadly overlooked, songs a new life.

Regardless, I wil be stunned not to see "Discotheque" on the next "Best Of."

All of that said, I do think U2 hurt themselves choosing "Discotheque" as the first single from "Pop". I feel that if U2 went with "Staring at the Sun", it would have captured many more fans and not turned them off to "Pop" and the tour. "Discotheque" may have worked far better as as econ (or third) single. It would have been something that was light and fun (at least on the surface) which would have been perfect after the more heavy message of "Staring...". But by going with the superficially lighter song first, that had the frivolous video, many so-so fans (and even die-hards) lost interest.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:23 AM   #31
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

Of course it will. "Discotheque" was U2's last Top 10 hit in the U.S. It also was only the second U2 single to go Gold ("Desire" being the first). While U2 have had bigger hits, in terms of chart rankings, only "Desire" and "Discotheque" sold well enough to go Gold in the U.S. "Discotheque" also went to #1 in many other countries, like the U.K., Canada, Ireland and Australia. With that type of success, the song will DEFINITELY be included on the second "Best Of."
Wow! I didn't know that, doctorwho!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-28-2002, 08:50 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

Quote:

1. Of course it will. "Discotheque" was U2's last Top 10 hit in the U.S.
2. I received the impression that U2 really fancied this song and have no intention of remixing it.

3. Also, don't over-interpret the word "remix."
4. Why does U2 appear to be focusing only on "Pop" and not songs from other 90's albums?
5. "Pop" was an unexpected set-back for U2 and maybe now they are taking another look at that album, to see if they can give these wonderful, yet sadly overlooked, songs a new life.
6. Regardless, I wil be stunned not to see "Discotheque" on the next "Best Of."
7. All of that said, I do think U2 hurt themselves choosing "Discotheque" as the first single from "Pop".
1. Whoever equates chart success with a songs being one of the "Best Of" must be on crack.

2. Impressions are deceiving and don't reflect reality. And it's not even an impression your formed since you admittedly just received it.

3. Over-interpreting a "remix" is equating it with a "single version" or an "edit". A remix is a remix plain and simple, but when it is the band themselves who undertake to remix the song and not some DJ, then that should say something.

4. They focus on POP because they are stumped on how to make it presentable to be represented in either a b-side capacity or some cameo appearance in the best of. They don't need to focus on their brilliant 90's work, they can throw anything in and the public would hail them as geniuses, but for POP it's another story.

5. You took the words right out of my mouth, Pop was a "set-back".

6. Prepared to get stunned, unless they put in a "remix" of Discotheque.

7. If single selection is what your attribute to POP's horrendous quality and lack of any redeeming musical or lyrical value whatsoever, then you must be naive.

Cheers,

J
Old 08-28-2002, 09:11 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

Quote:

7. If single selection is what your attribute to POP's horrendous quality and lack of any redeeming musical or lyrical value whatsoever, then you must be naive.

Cheers,

J
I think it's time to open up a can of whoop-ass!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:09 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

Quote:

1. Whoever equates chart success with a songs being one of the "Best Of" must be on crack.

This is a "Best Of" release. "Best Of" albums ALWAYS encompass past hit songs, several fan and artist favorites and one or two new songs designed to promote the album. "Best Of" does not mean J's personal list of his favorite U2 90's era songs. With "Discotheque" being such a huge hit, there is little question that it will be featured on this album.

Also, the fact that this song was such a huge hit shows that clearly it was enjoyed by many, making it one of U2's "best." The fact that YOU hate it means little.

Quote:
2. Impressions are deceiving and don't reflect reality. And it's not even an impression your formed since you admittedly just received it.

What?

Quote:
3. Over-interpreting a "remix" is equating it with a "single version" or an "edit". A remix is a remix plain and simple, but when it is the band themselves who undertake to remix the song and not some DJ, then that should say something.

You seemed to have ignored the fact that U2 have remixed many of their past songs themselves. Were all of those songs "disasters" as well?

Also, MANY artists have released albums containing nothing BUT remixes - and these were remixes of some of their most popular tunes. I'm not just talking about the P. Diddy's or the J.Lo's of the world either - I also mean such 80's alternative artists like The Cure. It is VERY popular for artists to remix or redo previously released tracks for a "Best Of" compilation, remix album or charity album.

U2 are releasing previously released material. You can choose to be ultra-negative, which you clearly are, and state that it's only because "Pop" was so poor that U2 are remixing these songs - OR - you can view these remixes as U2's way of giving us something new so that we aren't just buying the "same old/same old" again. The first "Best Of" featured material that was, at the time, at least 10 years old. As such, that collection did not require remixes as the goal was to remind fans of this older material. But this second "Best Of" contains material that is but a few years old. U2 may want to remix some songs to put a new spin on something that was recently released. In other words, they are doing this to entice more people into buying the album. Maybe it is just a marketing ploy, but it's an excellent one. Instead of giving fans the exact same version of a song they have on another album, why not present something slightly different and make the purchase worthwhile?

All of that said, even I acquiesced that U2 may also be doing this for their ego. "Pop" was a slight set-back (if you can call an album that sold 6 million copies worldwide and a tour that grossed over $170M a "set-back") and perhaps U2 are reviewing this work to see if they can improve upon it. Life rarely presents this opportunity to reflect upon the past. I'm glad U2 is pursuing it.

Quote:
4. They focus on POP because they are stumped on how to make it presentable to be represented in either a b-side capacity or some cameo appearance in the best of. They don't need to focus on their brilliant 90's work, they can throw anything in and the public would hail them as geniuses, but for POP it's another story.

This is ALL your opinion. I don't feel that "Pop" was this *disaster* of an album. U2 said early on that they "rushed" the album. Well, now that they have an opportunity to examine these songs again, why not fine tune them?

Plus, I hardly doubt we'll hear any major changes to any of these songs - just a few tweaks as we did with the singles. If U2 are planning to release a few "Pop" tracks as b-sides, then slight remixes might be perfect.

Quote:
5. You took the words right out of my mouth, Pop was a "set-back".

Yes, compared to the 18 million copies JT sold, the 11 million copies R&H sold, the 14 million copies AB sold and the 11 million copies ATYCLB has sold to date, "Pop" was a setback. Clearly U2 are used to monster-selling albums. That didn't happen with "Pop." But as even Madonna once said, an album that sells 6 million copies worldwide is hardly a failure.

Quote:
6. Prepared to get stunned, unless they put in a "remix" of Discotheque.

I think it is YOU who should get ready to be stunned. I cannot imagine U2 releasing a 90's "Best Of" without one of their biggest 90's hits on it.

Quote:

I'm not even sure what that poorly written sentence means, so I won't address it fully other than to say that "Pop" was an artistic treasure. Some songs didn't work, some did - that's the nature of art. To say that it lacks any redeeming musical or lyrical value only demonstrates your own naivete and limited appreciation of music.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:13 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

Quote:

I'm not even sure what that poorly written sentence means, so I won't address it fully other than to say that "Pop" was an artistic treasure. Some songs didn't work, some did - that's the nature of art. To say that it lacks any redeeming musical or lyrical value only demonstrates your own naivete and limited appreciation of music. [/B]
I love you, doctorwho!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:25 PM   #36
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
This is a "Best Of" release. "Best Of" albums ALWAYS encompass past hit songs, several fan and artist favorites and one or two new songs designed to promote the album. "Best Of" does not mean J's personal list of his favorite U2 90's era songs. With "Discotheque" being such a huge hit, there is little question that it will be featured on this album.

only one thing can sum this up:

not having discotheque on this greatest hits would've been like having pride on the 80-90 one. i know some fans don't like pride. they think it's overplayed. or something else. but it HAD to go on there, because it was one of the first songs that really broke them into mainstream, at least as far as america was concerned. most americans hadn't heard of U2 before 1984. of course, by 1987, everyone knew who U2 was.

anyway, like it or not, some songs will have to be on the greatest hits. whenever atyclb is put on a greatest hits package (be it this one or the 00-10 one) beautiful day will be on it. some people like always better, but we all know beautiful day and stuck in a moment will be put on there. why? because they're synonymous with U2's fame as of late: they've become classics.

btw, leave it to doctorwho to know it's one of two U2 singles to go gold here. it's funny that it's desire and discotheque. if you had told me they'd only had two gold singles and asked me to pick the two, i would've said probably wowy and ishfwilf. (if singles were still big here, i would've probably said ishfwilf and beautiful day) i didn't really think desire was that big, and i remember hearing about how discotheque didn't do too well chart-wise. i guess it just goes to show you can sell 500k at #1 and at #30!
Old 08-28-2002, 11:22 PM   #37
Acrobat

Re: Re: Re: Re: GOOD NEWS!

Quote:

Also, the fact that this song was such a huge hit shows that clearly it was enjoyed by many, making it one of U2's "best." The fact that YOU hate it means little.
[/B]
I'd say it's a good chance that Discotheque will be on the Best Of. It was a successful single on the charts, but I feel it's success was probably due more to the fact it was the 1st single from U2's 1st album in 4 years, rather than everyone being knocked out by the song. I love it, but let's face it, a lot of fans saw it as a disappointment. They may have even bought the single for Holy Joe! That's one reason I can see it being kept off of the BO. Another would be if U2 wanted to get a different song from POP out there to be rediscovered, like Gone or Mofo. If they are going to base the new BO similiar to the last one & just concentrate on the singles, probably not. But who knows, they may just surprise us all and throw us a few curveballs. Having 2 new songs outside the 1991-1997 era is definitely a surprise, albeit a nice one. I think some 90's singles will definitely be excluded. Even the 1st Best of missed several "classic" U2 singles like 11 O'Clock, Gloria, 2 Hearts Beat, In God's Country....Guess we'll wait & see....
Old 08-29-2002, 02:07 AM   #38
Babyface

Local Time: 12:59 PM
Wow! Looks like I’ve found the right forum site! To think I’ve been wasting my time at Zootopians! I must say I was little worried when the first nibble I got for this post was :

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

we arent the ones in charge of everything, u2 will decide what goes on.

see it works best that way.

i mean think of it this way, after i see you post such a stupid and redundant thread like this, it makes me wish i had the powers to restrict your posting priviledges. but i cant. cause im not in charge. so im not going to worry about it.

Fortunately, the rest of these replies haven’t been nearly as caustic.

No matter what, it probably is too late for those of us who preferred that “Discotheque” make room for other classics. Of course I can’t tell U2 what to do, but I do hope that people at least feel that as fans we could have SOME say about these things. These places are great for raising all sorts of fuss (you should see the stuff that goes down on DVD sites!)

One hint of what to come may be that poll that U2.com did a while back. “Please” and “Gone” were voted the top two fav’s off of POP by site users. I couldn’t the song rankings anymore to see where Discotheque was positioned.

BTW, I like the song ( and I love POP). Just like most everyone here. It’s just not nearly their “Best” in my book (as opposed to “Greatest Hits” like some of you guys have pointed out). The problem with the track for me is that it approaches a self-parody of the Achtung/Zooropa U2. “Lemon” was a U2-dance song. It was smart, beautiful, and damn fun. “Discotheque” is like a stripped-down, Hollywood version of “Lemon.” I love the music to it, but with those lyrics it comes to symbolize where they went off a bit on POP. To me, having “Discotheque” represent U2 of the 90’s would be like having “A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel” represent the Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum era of U2.

I guess we’ll see soon enough. And they can’t put every POP song on the new BEST OF, right? (unless that remix rumor is true )

Once, again, this forum kicks ass!
Old 08-29-2002, 07:44 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

btw, leave it to doctorwho to know it's one of two U2 singles to go gold here. it's funny that it's desire and discotheque. if you had told me they'd only had two gold singles and asked me to pick the two, i would've said probably wowy and ishfwilf. (if singles were still big here, i would've probably said ishfwilf and beautiful day) i didn't really think desire was that big, and i remember hearing about how discotheque didn't do too well chart-wise. i guess it just goes to show you can sell 500k at #1 and at #30!
Just a slight clarification....

"Discotheque" reached #10 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. This is the same chart where "Beautiful Day" reached #21, "Desire" reached #3 and "With or Without You" hit #1.

For a song like "Desire", the big sales are no surprise. U2 were coming off the hugely successful JT and "Desire" was the first single from a new release. It was a big radio hit as well as a popular sales item, even though it didn't quite hit #1.

"Discotheque" - while a radio hit at first - quickly lost its radio audience. It peaked at #10 thanks in part to the huge sales and early radio surge. It was the first "new U2" music since 1993's "Zooropa." Granted, there was "Hold Me...Kill Me" (which also was a good hit, reaching #16 on the charts) and OS1 (which few people in the U.S. knew of), but those seemed more like side projects as opposed to a brand new U2 album. "Discotheque" represented that "new U2 album" people had waited for 4 years to hear. Hence why it was so popular. However, if "Discotheque" was the second or third single, I don't think it would have come close to the Top 10.

These days, the Hot 100 chart is VERY heavily influenced by radio play. The top selling CD single will easily be on the Hot 100 chart, but unless its also receiving heavy air play, it will not be the #1 song. This is why people can have #1 songs with no CD single available.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

See, if I were going to pick my personal "best of" for 1980-1990, for example, since we already definitely know the track listing there, it would have included One Tree Hill, In God's Country, and at least couple tunes from October (besides the "hidden" track) for crying out loud! So who knows?