Is it "Running to Stand Still," or "Running to Standstill"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel D.

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
The back of the Chicago DVD says "Running to Standstill," but the CD cover for The Joshua Tree says "Running to Stand Still."

What is going on? :huh:

Of course it's Running To Stand Still if you look at the context of the lyrics! Running to Standstill does not make any sense.

It's "Running To Stand Still" officially on the album. For some reason, u2.com has been posting "Standstill" for the setlists, and it seems that the same people signed off on the printing of the dvd....:rolleyes:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

to be gramatically correct it would need to be running to a standstill.

Yes, that's what I meant. But I see what you're saying... standstill could also make sense in the context! okay.

Zootlesque said:

Yes, that's what I meant. But I see what you're saying... standstill could also make sense in the context! okay.

Gotcha...

I think I owned JT for 3 years before I figured out it really wasn't running to A standstill.

the police and the criminals were at a standstill because of the hostages.

little jimmy, I TOLD YOU TO STAND STILL!

therefore, Running to Stand Still is correct, for the context. Stand still and standstill are almost 2 different meanings.

JMScoopy said:
the police and the criminals were at a standstill because of the hostages.

little jimmy, I TOLD YOU TO STAND STILL!

therefore, Running to Stand Still is correct, for the context. Stand still and standstill are almost 2 different meanings.

Here's the way I looked at it:

I'll subsitute synonyms.

Running to a stalemate...
(getting no where fast)

Running to not move...
(running then stopping)

That's why I've always liked "standstill" better.

What's going on is the biggest band in the world can not afford to hire a proofreader in the rush to create a sloppy, barely watchable DVD before the Christmas shopping rush.

The name of the song has not changed since the Joshua Tree was pressed. The name of the song is "Running to Stand Still."

I like Running To Stand Still b/c I always thought of it in the context of the paradox - running, yet standing still (not at a standstill).

Always has been Running To Stand Still, always will be Running To Stand Still, no matter what some incompetent hacks (yes, I'm looking at you, U2.com) with a substandard grasp of English say to the contrary.

I CAN'T believe people can't get this - come on!

"Suffer the needle chill
She is running to stand

Still."

NOT running to a standstill.

It's taken from one of those old sayings which sort of means that a person seems to be doing everything to achieve nothing.

Hence - she's 'running' to 'stand' 'still' and not to a 'standstill' or a place called Standstill.

Sorted!

thefly418 said:
oddly enough i actually have the Boston May 24, 2005 Vertigo Show Setlist......it lists the song as Running to Standstill

If you freeze-frame the Chicago DVD during the intro (with the overhead camera on Edge) you can see the original setlist for Chicago also lists "Running to Standstill."

Still, I prefer "Stand Still."

It could also be a mistake on the Joshua Tree cover.
Bono isn't a language miracle. Maybe somebody told him, years after the release of TJT, that standstill is written as one single word. And they corrected their mistake on the Chicago DVD cover.

WalkOn21 said:
Maybe somebody told him, years after the release of TJT, that standstill is written as one single word.

But it's not written as a single word. With "stand still", stand is the verb and still is the adverb. A "standstill" is a noun. Either way is correct, it just depends on what you really mean. I prefer "stand....still" b/c when I think of the song, I picture someone who keeps running and running b/c she doesn't want to have to run anymore. Like, she's "running to stand still" as in, she's running so that she can stand still. In that context, a "standstill" doesn't make sense, b/c the person is not running and then stopping at a standstill.

Why the FUCK has there been more than one response to this question....?

Granted, I'm now a guilty party, but I've gotta disperse some (aka, all) of the blame, here. There's less than no room for debate. End of story. Let's get back to being angry that the band isn't "adventurous" anymore and how bad Larry's hair is, okay?

Status quo, people.

If you shout... said:

Granted, I'm now a guilty party, but I've gotta disperse some (aka, all) of the blame, here. There's less than no room for debate. End of story. Let's get back to being angry that the band isn't "adventurous" anymore and how bad Larry's hair is, okay?

Status quo, people.

I agree!

OOPS! Another post ;)

I've seen "Running to A Standstill" as well. Just forget where now. lol.

I don't care really. It's just a name. Doesn't bug me.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

In that context, a "standstill" doesn't make sense, b/c the person is not running and then stopping at a standstill.
It does make sense to me. In fact, I always thought it was 'standstill', I never considered that 'stand still' means something else.

Running to standstill:
Normally, if you are going somewhere, say the station, you are 'running to the station'. If you are 'running to standstill', you are running nowhere, you've got no goal -> standstill. In this context I think it's a beautiful lyric. Running to standstill -> pointless running -> having no goal in your life.

At least, that's my interpretation. :)

catlhere said:
I've seen "Running to A Standstill" as well. Just forget where now. lol.

I don't care really. It's just a name. Doesn't bug me.

lol

I've seen "Run ning toast ands till" - now we have problems ;)

If you shout... said:

Granted, I'm now a guilty party, but I've gotta disperse some (aka, all) of the blame, here.

I think that whoever is in charge of editing U2 setlists and DVD covers at the U2 camp deserves all of the blame here... I mean, it's one of my fav U2 songs, it should be spelled correctly on officially released material :madwife:

I now predict that this thread has reached a standstill.

Back
Top Bottom