Is it really that impossible that they're making a double album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I mean, it's taking this long, they've got LOTS of material (even from ATYCLB recording), they changed 4 producers now (if we count Lanois) ... what if a huge double album is coming?

well, never say never
but I don't think chances are higher than about 2%

seems to me they have had lots of material to work with ever since Joshua Tree at least

I agree with the others. It's highly unlikely. Still, it's a nice thought.

The one main reason they would consider a double album is for record sales because a double album is scanned as 2 albums on the sales chart. So if they kept the price low like $12.99 for it then just as many people will buy it as a single album and figures will double. Outkast put out a double album which has been a top seller over the past year. So it's not completely out of the question. We can only hope. :yes: That would make this long wait well worth it.

no way! we will only get 12 songs and 5 of them will be good.

lets just hope that all 12 or 13 songs are fucking great just like AB:drool:
or it could be like ATYCLB with 5 good or alright songs and the rest fillers.
with bono's data work i dont think they have much to offer.

its not impossible....but they've proberbley got tons of stuff left over from other albums that we wont get (legally)

edge said ok KROQ interivew back in 2000 about all the old material "its to be torched"....but you never know

The Sage said:
I'd much rather have a dozen great songs than two dozen OK ones...

:yes:

Editing is everything. BTW, to elaborate on this. I'd rather have a dozen great ones than a dozen great ones among another dozen OK ones.

C ya!

Marty

EvolutionMonkey said:
The one main reason they would consider a double album is for record sales because a double album is scanned as 2 albums on the sales chart. So if they kept the price low like $12.99 for it then just as many people will buy it as a single album and figures will double. Outkast put out a double album which has been a top seller over the past year. So it's not completely out of the question. We can only hope. :yes: That would make this long wait well worth it.

You have to keep in mind the difference between the Billboard sales chart and the certification of the album. The fact that Outkast released a double album has had no influence on the sales chart. They went to #1 because more people bought the case with the music than any other artist that week. For the sales chart it doesn't matter if an album consists of 1 CD or 100.
However, when certifying the album, the RIAA does take into consideration that there is more than 1 CD in the package. So while it is certified as 9x platinum, around 4,5 million copies have been shipped to record stores.

BTW, this extra certification also only occurs when the running time is more than 100 minutes, so a 90 minute double album still counts as a single disc.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom