Is it ok to be "that guy" (shirt at concert)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thousandfold

The Fly
Hey all, how do you feel about wearing the shirt of the band you are seeing to the concert? Is it cool, showing you are a "true fan," or does it just make you "that guy"?

"What's this? You're gonna wear the shirt of the band you're gonna go see? Don't be that guy." -Jeremy Piven in the movie PCU

I'm getting a cool custom-made Vertigo shirt and I'm wondering if it would be lame to wear it to the concert...

38209vertigo.JPG

Last edited:
I dont think its lame :shrug:

A friend of mine made me a custom U2 shirt for the Elevation tour. I was proud to wear it!

I never have done, but I would consider wearing an interference one though....!!

thousandfold said:
Hey all, how do you feel about wearing the shirt of the band you are seeing to the concert? Is it cool, showing you are a "true fan," or does it just make you "that guy"?

"What's this? You're gonna wear the shirt of the band you're gonna go see? Don't be that guy." -Jeremy Piven in the movie PCU

I'm getting a cool custom-made Vertigo shirt and I'm wondering if it would be lame to wear it to the concert...

38209vertigo.JPG

That matters more at club shows w/ the hipsters and all. Arena shows and U2 shows are all about regular folks rocking out. No fashion. And if your chest looks like that, nobody will complain.

thousandfold said:

that movie is great....i dont know if i would wear the t-shirt of the band i was going to see, but I dont have a problem with it if anyone else does. I dont find it tacky.

I wear my New Zealand All Blacks shirt when I go to see the All Blacks play rugby and I wear my New Zealand Black Caps shirt when I go to see the Black Caps play cricket, so I don't see why I shouldn't wear a U2 shirt when I go to see U2 live.

Axver said:
I wear my New Zealand All Blacks shirt when I go to see the All Blacks play rugby and I wear my New Zealand Black Caps shirt when I go to see the Black Caps play cricket, so I don't see why I shouldn't wear a U2 shirt when I go to see U2 live.

:lmao: All Blacks, Black Caps :lol:

Sorry. Back on topic...

Go for it!

If it makes you happy - do it!

(Sings under breath: Waddya wanna be....:laugh: )

<off-topic>

Tania said:

:lmao: All Blacks, Black Caps :lol:

Just because the All Blacks are historically and statistically the greatest rugby team ever and the Black Caps are currently a threat to Australia ... :wink:

Yeah, I never thought I'd see the day when NZ could challenge Australia in the cricket either.

</off-topic>

meh, what I usually do to shows, is wear a long sleeve, then buy a tour shirt once I get in, and slip that on

I seem to remember reading a story about how Bono pulled a guy up on stage and part of the reason was because he was wearing a U2 shirt....ending up playing the guitar for a song and everything.

I think the big difference is that this is a custom shirt...meaning it's unique. If you wanna, go for it.

well, i'm not sure about being 'that guy', but i'm gonna be 'that girl', wearing my Zooropa Tour t-shirt, be it sad or not.

Although it's all vintagey now, so it looks cool anyway :reject:

Last edited:
In St Louis, the guy who got on stage to play guitar with the band was wearing a "40" t-shirt, I think. It's cool to wear something U2-y.

Has anyone checked out the new t-shirts in the "shop" at u2.com? I browsed through it last night and was surprised at all the new ones they've added in the last month or two. One of them says "All Warfare is Based on Deception" and another is described like this "...featuring the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile logo on the front, the target logo on the left sleeve and a list of phobia's on the back." They also have some new designs on the baby doll t's for girls. The prices are def better than if you pick them up at the concerts.

I have been to five shows (zoo thru Elevation) and I have worn a U2 shirt each time. Personally, I always admired those people with the older T's from previous eras, like a War shirt or a UF shirt. This is U2 afterall, not Van Halen, so I don't see a problem with it at all!

bono acknowledged one of my buddies in chicago for wearing a popmart t-shirt. i thought it was pretty cool. and i hardly doubt he'd do the same for someone who was wearing a flannel shirt, ya know.

Re: Re: Is it ok to be "that guy" (shirt at concert)?

MrBrau1 said:

That matters more at club shows w/ the hipsters and all. Arena shows and U2 shows are all about regular folks rocking out. No fashion. And if your chest looks like that, nobody will complain.

Truer words have never been said.

38209vertigo.JPG

With the exception of man-boobs, filling out a U2 t-shirt like that and attending a U2 concert is alright by me.

Hell yes!!!! Shirt power!!! I have the one from u2.com, all blacvk with the cover image on the front and U2 on the back!!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Axver said:
<off-topic>

Just because the All Blacks are historically and statistically the greatest rugby team ever and the Black Caps are currently a threat to Australia ... :wink:

Yeah, I never thought I'd see the day when NZ could challenge Australia in the cricket either.

</off-topic>

Axver, I don't know what kind of weed you're smoking, but if it makes you think that New Zealand are challenging Australia in cricket right now, it must be pretty damn good.

tomtom said:

Axver, I don't know what kind of weed you're smoking, but if it makes you think that New Zealand are challenging Australia in cricket right now, it must be pretty damn good.

In the five dayers? We can't compete.

In the one dayers? We tied the series IN AUSTRALIA. The next series is in NZ. We can definitely compete.

Axver said:

In the five dayers? We can't compete.

In the one dayers? We tied the series IN AUSTRALIA. The next series is in NZ. We can definitely compete.

Not to keep stretching this (which is precisely what I'm doing :evil: ), but pretty much any teams besides Zimbabwe and Bangladesh can compete on a given day in ODI's with any other team. That's the nature of ODI's, a lot of it is a toss-up. NZ are and have been a pretty good one day side, but so is basically everyone else, so if you're saying that they are competitive, that's not saying a lot. Overall, I think it's pretty well established that no one in the world can touch Australia at the moment (and I'm Indian, btw).

But you are damn right about COBL being a God-awesome song:drool: :bow: :applaud: :applaud: .

Last edited:
no, seriously, DON'T be that guy

though, if you happen to have a super-cool shirt from any of the 80s tours, then i can make an exception :)

Back
Top Bottom