is it just me or is vertigo a hybrid of U2 songs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bloodysunday972 said:
I mean I listened to it I hear like 4 or 5 songs.

A Celebration
The Fly
Out Of Control
I Will Follow
maybe a teeny bit of Spanish Eyes

Is that a good or bad thing that's it's just a mix of previously released songs? I hear Elevation and one of their early songs.

To me the songs completely lacks creativity. To me that is a bad thing... it's a bad thing that "Vertigo" reminds me of something that used to be great.... Hmmm, I guess that's was an old Bono-quote.... Wow, U2 are not the only repeating themselves.

Last edited:
It almost sounds tropical to me. I don't know why. Kinda reminds me of Big Girls Are Best. It kind of reminds me of a mix between Elevation and their older stuff.

Whatever it is I love it!!!

It reminds me of too many songs esp elevation, the fly and a bit of EBTTRT. I don't think it's a bad thing. I think U2 found something that was lackign with ATYCLB. I didn't think it was a very strong album. I think this one will blow folk away. They know what works and they are trying to be the best they have been imo.

about at 2:10 when bono starts saying all of this, all of this can be yours, that reminds me of the start of walk on, while in the background it has bono making sounds which sounds similar tosomething off of achtung

okay now we maybe stretching it.

I agree with most of the posts, but when you have people naming seventeen songs that Vertigo reminds them of....can it be simply said that MAYBE it reminds you of.....U2!!!!:huh:

Re: Re: is it just me or is vertigo a hybrid of U2 songs ?

elevation said:

Is that a good or bad thing that's it's just a mix of previously released songs? I hear Elevation and one of their early songs.

To me the songs completely lacks creativity. To me that is a bad thing... it's a bad thing that "Vertigo" reminds me of something that used to be great.... Hmmm, I guess that's was an old Bono-quote.... Wow, U2 are not the only repeating themselves.

You know... this IS U2. They have a certain sound - and they'll never escape that sound. After 25 years, some sounds are going to sound similar.

While this song is reminiscent of past songs, I could say that about songs on "War" (and how some could have been on "Boy" or "October"). What's important is that U2 progress on their sound. They don't always have to change direction completely - just progress. And I hear that with "Vertigo".

Is this the best U2 song ever? Of course not. I don't even think this song will be a hit. I think rock stations will enjoy it to a certain level. And the song may make a weak appearance in the Hot 100 on the U.S. charts (like "Electrical Storm"), but that's it. What's important, though, is that this song is definitely a change from the more "soft rock" aspects of ATYCLB.

I mentioned in another thread, theres parts in vertigo's lyrics which makes it feel like Beautiful Day part 2

"I can feel your love teaching me
Aaahhhhh-aaahhh-aaahhh-aaahhh...
Your love is teaching me
Aaahhhhh-aaahhh-aaahhh-aaahhh...
How to kneel, kneel"

in BD hes asking someone to touch him, teach him, take him to another place, and in 'Vertigo' he is at another place (a place called vertigo), and he is feeling that someone's love is teaching him

also the main guitar riff reminds me of lady with the spinning head

Last edited:
PowerSurge said:

I agree with most of the posts, but when you have people naming seventeen songs that Vertigo reminds them of....can it be simply said that MAYBE it reminds you of.....U2!!!!:huh:

EXACTLY! And A Celebration? ... where? HMTMKMKM, I Will Follow, and Elevation, that makes sense, but A Celebration? Yeah, riiiight.

PowerSurge said:

I agree! Maybe, people, you should look at the song as a completely new song rather than say it's only a draw on all previous songs. As good as the old stuff is, you have to give them some room to make new music. Just because it rocks doesn't mean they put about 6 previous songs in the blender to do that! lol

Re: Re: Re: is it just me or is vertigo a hybrid of U2 songs ?

u2ulysses said:

Is this the best U2 song ever? Of course not. I don't even think this song will be a hit. .

maybe not in the US (although not convinced of that ), but it will be HUGE elsewhere e.g. Europe, Australasia, South America.... the real point is that it will be a calling card for the album - and more than 10 million will RSVP that in a positive way.

Mike

bloodysunday972 said:
I mean I listened to it I hear like 4 or 5 songs.

A Celebration
The Fly
Out Of Control
I Will Follow
maybe a teeny bit of Spanish Eyes

and the opening to Pride ! So, all in all, I will respond positively to the RSVP - as will millions around the world I guess !!

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: is it just me or is vertigo a hybrid of U2 songs ?

mikeuk said:

maybe not in the US (although not convinced of that ), but it will be HUGE elsewhere e.g. Europe, Australasia, South America.... the real point is that it will be a calling card for the album - and more than 10 million will RSVP that in a positive way.

Mike

Absolutely right.

Back
Top Bottom