is it just me or did bono seem pissed off at Mary J. during "One"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
it looked like he pushed her arm away when she tried to grab his hand, and pull away from her a couple of times and had a very annoyed look on his face during the end...

what was that all about? they're talking about it over at u2.com now, too. hmm.

:shrug:

When I watched their performance together for the first time, it crossed my mind that he might be a bit smothered/perturbed... but I think this is largely because he's not used to sharing the vocals.

:rolleyes: He wasn't pissed at all.

He put his hand out first, she didn't grab it at first then she finally did. He then suddenly pulled it back to play guitar, then at the end held it again.

But I have to say the few threads I've seen of yours Matt, your observations are very amusing.:wink:

No I think Bono was lost in thought. Deep thought about how he used to once put heart into his performances of the song.

doubleU said:
:rolleyes: He wasn't pissed at all.

He put his hand out first, she didn't grab it at first then she finally did. He then suddenly pulled it back to play guitar, then at the end held it again.

But I have to say the few threads I've seen of yours Matt, your observations are very amusing.:wink:

Apparently it isn't just me. Others are commenting on it now, too. So, um... isn't just my supposed conspiracy theories. It was a simple observation that stood out to me right away.

But I am very happy that you find it amusing. I'm really charming the ladies (and guys) here, aren't I? LOL!!! :wink:

I don't think anybody was pissed at anybody. I think they were really into the song and the performance. They both greatly admire each other.

Plus, they share a deep faith. I think they see it as a worshipful/spiritual thing. I think that's why Mary was crying at the end. She just got caught up into it all emotionally. Bono seemed to to at one point.

MattFromNYC said:
but it also seemed like when she was leaning her head against his, that he was pulling away, annoyed.

Maybe you should watch it again.

MattFromNYC said:
but it also seemed like when she was leaning her head against his, that he was pulling away, annoyed.

I laughed when I saw that. Bono was not pulling his hand back on purpose, Mary unexpectedly went to grab Bono's hand, and Bono was going to strum his guitar at the same time. Later they joined hands.

It seemed to me the only irritation he had was that he was trying to play and she was grabbing him...that's all I thought the performance was fantastic

Bono seemed a bit "different" during this performance but I cannot quite put my finger on what it is that was different....
I did notice Mary grab for B's hand while he was strumming the guitar (well, sorta strumming the Gretsch).

I do like the black outfit so much better than the white one on MJB though. The white pants made her butt look twice its size :ohmy:

What's up with this "Bono sucked" or "Oh no Mary sucked" business?

Bono has always been a gospel singer, and now he has this duet on this deep and meaningful tune with a black goddess taking it higher in that churchy way that Bono loves and people are like "ooooo."

People who don't "get" Mary or the way she treats this song need to go to the black church and try to understand the idiom that this comes out of.

I've only heard the MP3, but I think Bono was just doing it differently than other versions, not poorly.

Anu

Well I think Bono was worse than he's ever been on One, and it's really amusing to see how everyone butchers Mary, when, in fact, Bono had killed his own song before she even set in!

Bono sounded like he was about to fall asleep at the beginning. "Is it getting beeeedtime?". Can you blame him?

Anu said:
What's up with this "Bono sucked" or "Oh no Mary sucked" business?

Bono has always been a gospel singer, and now he has this duet on this deep and meaningful tune with a black goddess taking it higher in that churchy way that Bono loves and people are like "ooooo."

People who don't "get" Mary or the way she treats this song need to go to the black church and try to understand the idiom that this comes out of.

I've only heard the MP3, but I think Bono was just doing it differently than other versions, not poorly.

Anu

I agree! The song was just played in a uniquely different way,thats all. This thread is like the "oh why does Larry not smile" thread, i think we are all just reading into stuff too much!
IMHO
:yawn:

sounded good to me :shrug:, but i do notice, the same people that moan about the current tour, are complaining about this so

but you know the really funny thing is, people have said one sounded tired, the band try and add a little something to it, and it appears they are getting flamed for it

I'm really not a Mary J fan so pretty much whatever she does might suck for me. And trying my fave song ever isn't going to change my views, I don't think. BUT I haven't seen it yet so I'll wait until I have, then rip her to shreds. ;)

Bono's allowed to ruin it! Cause it's still hot. Lmao.

She did seem to take the song right over and run with it, which I'm sure didn't please the band anymore than the fans. It wasn't a 'duet' it was about her. I think Bono may have been having voice problems so he didn't try to sing again, but he didn't look happy for some reason.

i think she tried to grab Bono's hand on the "Sisters, Brothers..." line to prevent Bono from playing the guitar anymore....

was a great performance

Being a fan for over 25 years, I think Bono was extremely emotional a little nervous, people he really admires were there like McCartney and Bruce....this cd was about his emotions and a difficult relationship...this one meant alot that they won, he even said more of less he can put his feelings of his dad to rest...:wink:

Maybe the area Mary J was trying to reach for was off limits & B just moved her hand a little. :wink: Just kiddin' I like U2 to do One without anyone else--because it is my fave U2 song--kind of like their Stairway. No one else does it like them.

Back
Top Bottom