Is it just me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batesmotel

Babyface
Hi all,
haven't posted for a while... but....

Just saw the telethon and I was very impressed with the way the entertainment industry united to help the families of the victims. And don't get me wrong, I think this is a wonderful gesture and a lot of much needed funds were raised.

But wouldn't it be great if America and the world could learn to rally and unite around other causes and needs such as when hundreds of thousands of people died in India and Turkey in Earthquakes in the 90s. It seems we can rally our support very quickly behind America in a time of crisis. But it takes years and years of campaigning to gather support for other countries of the world (eg: the Jubilee efforts etc).

Don't get me wrong, I think the telethon was a great idea, but we should learn from it. We should be able to do this for other countries in need also. Thousands of 'innocent' civilians die each day under unjust third world regimes... we should learn from this and devote our energies to both America and the rest of the crisis around the world.

nuff said.

please don't take this the wrong way. I am really pleased about the success of the telethon.

I think a lot of people forget that America can't do everything for everyone.

And people get mad because America doesn't help their country ENOUGH! They should be happy that America is helping them in the first place.

------------------
Cookie Manwhore

I agree with your feeling totally, but I think the reason for the feeling of unity right now is the shock most people feel about being attacked at home. It seems just about everyone, myself included, knows someone who has been directly harmed in the terror. When it hits home, people want the security of being together, even if it's only in cyberspace or on the t.v. I never ever thought we would be attacked in our home. It's scary, and that's putting it mildly.

Though I do agree with your sentiment, and well said!

actually, my only thought towards the whole thing was a feeling of guilt at looking forward to a U2 performance when it was for something like that

I wasn't home and I forgot to tape it, which may be less of an accident than I thought

which has nothing to do with your post anyway.......

------------------
and you become a monster
so the monster will not break you...

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
um, methinks mikal missage the point

No I didn't! I just felt like venting.

------------------
Cookie Manwhore

um, methinks mikal missage the point

And methinks Mikal is right on with his message.

Perhaps the WORLD doesn't care as a whole, but it does seem the U.S. does. The U.S. is always one of the countries who consistently provides help to those countries in need, especially due to natural disasters. However, it's nearly impossible for the U.S. to give complete aid to everyone.

I only recall one time when another country offered its services (before this tragedy) to the U.S. - and that was when Kuwait gave money to help with the hurricane victims of Florida. One wonders if Kuwait would still give $$ if the U.S. hadn't helped them in their war against Iraq...

I know what you are trying to say, and I admit this is worse because it is 'us.' When I hear about the earthquakes and disasters in other countries, it's heartbreaking, and I feel for everyone, I'm a person who cares until it hurts. Still, watching those yuppies jumping and falling out the windows of the twin towers was more devastating. This disaster is worse for two reasons to me-one, maybe it's wrong but I can't help it. I can relate to these people's lives more and I guess maybe I can feel like 'that could have been me' more than other things. I mean, looking at those towers collapsing and knowing thousands of lives were going with them was awful. I looked at those victims with a deeper feeling. Those people had lived my life and times, they were my countrymen, or those staying here and working with us, most of them were my generation, they knew the words to all my songs and the quotes from all my movies. I can imagine some of them as U2 fans, maybe with a copy of ATYCLB in their car CD players, a JT shirt at home in their drawer, and the fall leg on their minds. How many were at MSG? Maybe some of you stood next to some of them. I wonder if any of them, as they jumped, some holding hands, made a joke about Butch and Sundance when they jumped off the cliff. I know I will likely get flamed, but I am being honest, and telling my true feelings and saying things maybe others feel but won't admit.

Jimmy Carter was quoted during his first presidential campaign as admitting that when he saw all those starving kids on the commericials or charity funds, he had a hard time believing that their lives were worth as much as his little Amy's. I don't mean to say I feel that way, but it's kind of the same thing. Those who live in free and capitalist countries, America or others, have more to live for, that's for sure.
I don't feel any life is worth more, and I believe that nothing is more precious and irreplaceable than a life, be it American or some other nationality, or even my pets. It's the only thing that you can't get back.

There is one more reason this is worse-it was intentional. No one caused the quakes or other natural disasters or diseases in the world, but someone did cause this, with the definite evil intent to kill thousands. That makes it worse and harder to swallow, and impossible to accept. It's the worst kind of wrong, because it was on purpose.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 09-23-2001).]

well the US is currently the sole remaining superpower on this planet, and the epicentre of all western arts and business, so it would seem a little selfish for it not to help out every now and again!

Originally posted by doctorwho:
And methinks Mikal is right on with his message.

Perhaps the WORLD doesn't care as a whole, but it does seem the U.S. does. The U.S. is always one of the countries who consistently provides help to those countries in need, especially due to natural disasters. However, it's nearly impossible for the U.S. to give complete aid to everyone.

I only recall one time when another country offered its services (before this tragedy) to the U.S. - and that was when Kuwait gave money to help with the hurricane victims of Florida. One wonders if Kuwait would still give $$ if the U.S. hadn't helped them in their war against Iraq...

exactly

It's kind of like when a man wins the lottery and all of a sudden, all these people he hardly knows comes to him asking for money. And if he doesn't give them any, he's known as a rich snob.

------------------
Cookie Manwhore

well the US is currently the sole remaining superpower on this planet, and the epicentre of all western arts and business, so it would seem a little selfish for it not to help out every now and again!

We do help out.

------------------
Cookie Manwhore

Or else what?
wink.gif

A few further points.

* I think all of us know that America is the richest country on this planet and that %50 of the World's wealth is their (some stastic like that anyway). I think it is right for them to bear a global responcibility due to their wealth compared to the poverty experienced by other nations, due to repaying debts to America.

* We need to ask ourselves, why does so much of the Middle East HATE America. Surely they are not all just stupid. No, of course not, they have reasons. And we like most Westerners recieve our news filtered through CNN and so we never find out about all the hospitals America 'accidently' bombed in the gulf war and beyond. The military aid to Israel and the driving out of the Palastinians. There is definitly a reason for this anger at America. It is very easy for us to believe that America helps the world heaps, and so it should. It is in a very, very priveldged position compared to the rest of the world.

* I really don't think the US would have helped Kuwait simply because they were being invaded by a big bully. No they helped Kuwait, because America would suffer if they didn't. America acts 99% of the time for her interests and not simply out of being nice and generous.

* This in no way excuses the absolutly inhumane acts of Sept 11. We need to put this into perspective and admit that the news we recieve comes from a bias towards America, just as the news the Afghans recieve has a bias against America.

* The world has a responcibility to help America during this time of crisis, and America has a duty to help the world in theirs.

* Even if we can relate and feel for the American lifestyle more than the Turkish or Indians lifestyle admidst a tragedy. That is absolutly no excuse for for NOT helping these far poorer countries during their tragedies.

Here, here, GypsyHeartGirl. I couldn't have said it better myself.
smile.gif

Thanks for that and I hope you don't get flamed.

I too feel for people whenever tragedies or things happen to them. To not would mean I wasn't a caring person. I am. But does it always hit you when it's not tangible? No, of course not.

When it happens the way it did, so unexpectedly with so much carnage and loss, it really hits you.

As you said, earthquakes and all are devastating, no one is trying to deny that, but those are natural disaters or an act of God, if you will. So as terrible as it is, I think what happened here was worse in that some person had the intent to kill all those innocent people with nary a thought. Total disregard for human life.

And if we haven't helped other nations as much as you all would like, then well sorry. But I do my part. I even have a precious sponsor son, Bernardo, who lives in the Philippines and I've been sponsoring him for five years, since I was 18 and I also donate to other charities.

tania

Thank you Batesmotel, for raising points that most of us don't think about or choose not to think about.

It is part of our basic animal nature to care more about those who look like us or are like us - it's written into our genetic code as part of the survival instinct. Yet, we have to try harder than that...

Bates' point was not that the United States should necessarily pour millions into every disaster that occurs around the world (even though most of the G7 nations do give humanitarian aid to countries in need), but that we as human beings should care as much about earthquake victims in Turkey or victims of terrorism in Japan as we do about those who died in NYC. Our interest and compassion should extend globally...

[This message has been edited by ProBono (edited 09-23-2001).]

"There is one more reason this is worse-it was intentional. No one caused the quakes or other natural disasters or diseases in the world, but someone did cause this"

I had a similar thought in 1992...when I took a trip to California, I kept saying "I hope there isn't an earthquake while I'm there!" Instead, the L.A. Riots erupted while I was on my way there, and I landed right in the middle of it. It was worse than an earthquake because PEOPLE were doing it!

I had always thought that "some day" there would be foreign terrorists here, but I didn't expect it to be this soon, nor did anyone expect for SO MANY people to be killed in one pop. As I watched those people leap and fall from the buildings, I got a knot in my stomach that didn't go away for days. It is so close to home that we're all in shock. I'm all the way over in Tennesee, but I know people who had relatives who barely escaped. I also have a friend who was on one of the Staten Island ferries, on his way to work in MYC, when it happened. He had to see it in person. Also: some of the terrorists lived within walking distance of my parents in Delray Beach, Florida. I could have been standing behind any one of them in line at a store while visiting down there these past two Decembers, not knowing what was going through their heads. This is very unnerving, ya know? Also, today they arrested a conspirator right here in the city I live in NOW! We aren't used to it being THIS close to home...

Rattle and hum...........

I know what you mean batesmotel.
One point I have seen previously and here again. America the benevolent, but no one helps us.... One small example I remember clearly. There were forest fires raging in the USA last year. Australia sent a team of our very best fire fighters, not the lackeys, the best...our population is tiny by comparison, we do what we can...I think it's rather sweeping to say no one has ever helped the USA. Minor point, but there you go.

Batesmotel, Cass I couldn't agree with you more.
I had some posts on this thread, but it's lost now due to server change, and I have no will to write it again.

Bye

Back
Top Bottom