Is Bono unintentionally hurting U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
With his activist work I mean. You know how many people who dislike U2 say it's because of Bono not just being a musician instead and leaving the politics alone. Do you think U2 would have (even) more success if he was only the singer for all these years - would more people give their music a chance?

Also, in a recent interview Bono said he'd like some other celebrity to take over the activism - along with him saying Edge is frustrated with him shaking hands with politicians, it makes me wonder if it was possible the rest of the band gave him an ultimatum: it's either the band or the activism ... what do you think?

That's a hard question to answer. But I think Bono is doing the right thing with his activism, but that's probably not his main focus. I think if the band gave him an ultimatum, he'd pick the band.

I don't think the rest of the band would be stupid enough to give Bono an ultimatum

I do think Bono's presentation hurts the band in the short term at times
in the long run his sincerety helps the way the band to be what they are and most people recognize that (even though they get sick of him at times)

Salome said:
I don't think the rest of the band would be stupid enough to give Bono an ultimatum

I do think Bono's presentation hurts the band in the short term at times
in the long run his sincerety helps the way the band to be what they are and most people recognize that (even though they get sick of him at times)

:yes:
Plus, I think the (cough, shallow, cough) people that are sick of Bono's activism are sick of Bono, not the band. I really don't think a band that has been together for 20+ years would get upset enough to give him an ultimatum over some political involvement. After all, these are the same boys who grouped together for Amnesty International and promote Green Peace.

If people don't listen to U2 because he's involved in political activities then who cares. If it wasn't the politics it would be because there Irish, if it wasn't that it would be because of their hair...it will always be something. I mean isn't that part of what makes U2, U2? From waving the white flag to writing songs like Please, Bullet, SBS to putting Amnesty, Greenpeace in their liner notes to traveling the world talking about Drop the Dept or Africa. It's all part of the package.

"There are people who would say that you shouldn't mix music and politics, or sport and politics, or whatever. But I think that's kind of bullshit."
- Adam Clayton :wink:

Last edited:
I think that to a certain extent Bono feels that he has accomplished so much for the band that he wants to get to more important topics. Does the band get mad?....probably a little, but if they really hated it they would have broken up the band a long time ago.

People, he is just as dedicated to U2 as he ever was. It's just that they don't have a record out and the aren't on tour. The political stuff is all we hear about right now because that's all he's been doing publicly lately. I think that once the album is out, you'll see the Bono we all know and love........as the singer of U2. But U2 can afford to spend a few years out of the public eye. I really doubt many people are stupid enough to dislike U2's music because Bono is saving lives in Africa. But then again, there are some idiots out there. Those idiots have no business being U2 fans anyway.

The_acrobat said:
People, he is just as dedicated to U2 as he ever was. It's just that they don't have a record out and the aren't on tour. The political stuff is all we hear about right now because that's all he's been doing publicly lately. I think that once the album is out, you'll see the Bono we all know and love........as the singer of U2. But U2 can afford to spend a few years out of the public eye. I really doubt many people are stupid enough to dislike U2's music because Bono is saving lives in Africa. But then again, there are some idiots out there. Those idiots have no business being U2 fans anyway.

I totally agree. :yes:

I think it might hurt the general public's short term opinion of the band, because those that don't care to actually learn about what Bono is doing see him with politicians and say "there's that loudmouth singer from U2 hobnobbing with politicians - why doesn't he get behind a mic in the studio where he belongs."

To a certain extent I can understand people getting annoyed that he's constantly in the news for politics and not music, but I think when you take into consideration why he's doing this, it really becomes a non-issue. Or should become a non-issue anyway. I'd say trying to ease the suffering and prevent the deaths of millions upon millions of people is a bit more important than putting out a great album.

Bono cannot hurt U2. He can quit U2, badmouth U2, and do everything imaginable to delay the new album, and he can refuse to tour. But U2 will never be hurt. U2 have already cemented their legacy with the Joshua Tree. Even the fiasco and disappointment that was POP could not bring downU2.

U2 have much more money then they can ever spend for their entire life. Bono cannot hurt U2 with his globetrotting and rubbing elbows with politicians. In the end, Bono's egomania can only hurt the fans but not U2.

Cheers,

J

Well, from my experience, people who dislike U2 or Bono usually have got a whole set of reasons besides his activist work. They'd probably dislike him less if he wasn't involved in politics, but it's not as if U2's music was devoid of politics all these years anyway.

Saracene said:
but it's not as if U2's music was devoid of politics all these years anyway.

Exactly! While I understand it may be hard sometimes for the rest of the band to try and work without Bono around (and I think that's the part that bugs them...trying to work their schedules around that sort of thing and working on days when they might need Bono, but he's not there), I don't think the others have a problem with Bono doing his activist bit, 'cause U2's been known for their political messages ever since the beginning, so it's not like this is anything new. I definitely think they support what he's doing and wouldn't give him an ultimatum.

Basically, ditto what practically everyone's been saying in this thread thus far.

Angela

Well ... what came to my mind first was that U2 wouldn't be the same band if Bono wasn't politically involved, and they perhaps wouldn't have written a lot of the songs they have if that was the case. In which case people who don't like Bono now, rather than not liking U2's music, wouldn't have the same opportunity to like their music otherwise because it probably would be different.

Eeeeks ... I didn't explain that very well, but I hope you can work it out :D

Diemen said:
"there's that loudmouth singer from U2 hobnobbing with politicians - why doesn't he get behind a mic in the studio where he belongs."

Diemen, I know this is just "devil's advocate" not what you actually say... anyway, referring to the above statement, when and who decided that in the studio was where Bono belongs? Maybe he belongs somewhere else now. I think that decision is his to make. He said he didn't know if he wanted to be in a band when he was 60, so maybe he's branching out so he has something left after U2 and doesn't just waste away as a washed up rock star.

It also seems that most of the band's negativity regarding Bono's activism comes from Larry (at least what I've read and seen) and not that Larry is bad, but I don't think he's ever actually stated that he doesn't agree with what Bono's doing, it's more just a complication they all have to deal with. I think people are making a bigger issue out of it than it really is. If Bono can have another child and loose his father while on tour, than I'm sure he and the band can schedule around a few important meetings with various politicians.

The point is that Bono is really getting somewhere with what he's doing. There's a really great, experienced Prof. at my school who specializes in AIDS and third world development and she said "I am positive that President Bush's statements about AIDS in his State of the Union were a direct result of Bono." For AIDS to even be on the agenda is a HUGE HUGE HUGE step....and now I'm way off topic so I'll shut up for now. :D

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Diemen, I know this is just "devil's advocate" not what you actually say... anyway, referring to the above statement, when and who decided that in the studio was where Bono belongs? Maybe he belongs somewhere else now. I think that decision is his to make. He said he didn't know if he wanted to be in a band when he was 60, so maybe he's branching out so he has something left after U2 and doesn't just waste away as a washed up rock star.

I totally agree with you. :) It just seems that the uninformed public (or sometimes those who know better but are selfish) have that sort of attitude - like the only place for a singer is behind a mic singing, despite their beliefs and convictions. It's an unfortunate opinion, especially if you know how passionately Bono feels about his beliefs outside of music.

Diemen said:

I totally agree with you. :) It just seems that the uninformed public (or sometimes those who know better but are selfish) have that sort of attitude - like the only place for a singer is behind a mic singing, despite their beliefs and convictions. It's an unfortunate opinion, especially if you know how passionately Bono feels about his beliefs outside of music.

:yes: exactly! Everyone needs to back off and chill out. Don't criticize someone else without a legitimate reason. I would NEVER say negative comments about Bono's work since I've accomplished nothing that even compares to the effort and amount of work he's put in. If his humanitarian campaign results in a later release of the album, so what? Why the hell does it really matter? Are we really so self-absorbed that we care more about an album release and tour dates than the fate of our world? People with that attitude need to find something better to do with their time than brood over such rediculous non-issues.

No biggie, they usually only put out an album every 4 years anyway. Except the early days when they were working hard to establish their career there has always been a gap like that.

1984-87
87-91 (Rattle and Hum was technically a spinoff of JT)
91-97(considering Zooropa is technically a spinoff of AB)
97-00
00-04

Pattern remains true. Things are okay:)

This is very true ^^^^.

Also with waiting on the album, as I've said before, I'd prefer U2 make sure an album they make turns out just the way they want it, even if it means waiting a few years ('cause I know I'd certainly take some time making an album myself if I were a musician, so I'd have no room to complain), instead of just quickly throwing something together that may not be as good as it could've been with some time and effort.

:yes: exactly! Everyone needs to back off and chill out. Don't criticize someone else without a legitimate reason. I would NEVER say negative comments about Bono's work since I've accomplished nothing that even compares to the effort and amount of work he's put in. If his humanitarian campaign results in a later release of the album, so what? Why the hell does it really matter? Are we really so self-absorbed that we care more about an album release and tour dates than the fate of our world? People with that attitude need to find something better to do with their time than brood over such rediculous non-issues.

:yes:.

And great post, LivLuv. :up:.

Angela

U2 have always been political, and, in fact, that had something to do with me becoming a fan. In the early '80's I started protesting things that the government was doing that I didn't like. I'm from the U.S. so I was protesting against the Reagan Administration. I saw the video of SBS and was blown away, and then "Pride" came out. I thought a song about Martin Luther King was so cool and no band had ever done it. I'd be disappointed if they'd given up their activism. The band supports what Bono is doing, they just get frustrated with the time element, I think. I think *he* gets frustrated with his time limitations. But heavens, no, it's not hurting the band. I think they are just continuing what they started to do 20 years ago.

Last edited:
^^ Exactly!

One of the reasons I started listening to them in the first place was because as they put it "they had something to say". They've always been political going back to SBS, so I don't think it's a problem with the band if Bono goes on with his activism as he's always done. They're going to put out an album nevertheless, and those people who don't like the band because of Bono's "causes" won't suddenly jump on the "bandwagon" as it were, even if he stops.

verte76 said:
U2 have always been political, and, in fact, that had something to do with me becoming a fan. In the early '80's I started protesting things that the government was doing that I didn't like. I'm from the U.S. so I was protesting against the Reagan Administration. I saw the video of SBS and was blown away, and then "Pride" came out. I thought a song about Martin Luther King was so cool and no band had ever done it. I'd be disappointed if they'd given up their activism. The band supports what Bono is doing, they just get frustrated with the time element, I think. I think *he* gets frustrated with his time limitations. But heavens, no, it's not hurting the band. I think they are just continuing what they started to do 20 years ago.

Yep. Exactly right.

I like their political nature as well. Heck, I used "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at an anti-war rally earlier this year! One reason why I like them is because they express the things that I'm thinking, be it political or spiritual or whatever, so well.

Angela

I'd be pretty surprised at this point if any other member of the band hasn't come to grips with the things that Bono wants to do.

I mean, they've known him longer and better than any of us, so none of this stuff should come as any surprise.

I think it's much ado about nothing. The new record will be out soon enough and then it's tour time again.

;)

I'm sure Bono thinks the lives of millions of people are more important than some people seeing him as a wanker.

Their activism has always influenced their music and fans.

It would be selfish for the rest of the band to give him an ultimatum!He may say he would like someone to take over for him in his humanatarian work but I really don;t believe that!His work (espeically lately)has infliuenced u2s music for the better IMO.It also makes the rest of the band look damn good by extension too!

I don't believe the band is selfish enough to give him an "ultimatum". This is press hype. They're going to finish the album and do a tour. I'm not worried about this stuff.

The problem is no one seems to be as passionate or qualified as Bono (at least no one is speaking up or showing themselves worth). Bono's pushy, loudmouth tendancies make him perfect for the job. I can't really picture Chris Martin arguing with Pres. Bush....and I thought his pet cause was trees or the rainforest or something...

The problem is no one seems to be as passionate or qualified as Bono (at least no one is speaking up or showing themselves worth). Bono's pushy, loudmouth tendancies make him perfect for the job. I can't really picture Chris Martin arguing with Pres. Bush....and I thought his pet cause was trees or the rainforest or something...

Yep.

Bono's been dealing with this stuff pretty much since 1984. He knows practically everything there is to know about this issue (how he manages to remember all the statistics and things along that line, I'll never know), this has been his biggest issue he's pushed...it'd be weird having someone else take over that job.

I think what he meant with Chris Martin is that he'd be thrilled to have someone else come along and help him out (I know I'd want help on an issue this serious and this complicated). And someday, when he is no longer able to work with this issue, those who came onboard to help him can take his place.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom