Is Bono the Michael Jordan of Music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
It's general consensus that Micheal Jordan is the greatest basketballer ever, possibly the greatest athlete. But when I think about it, Bono and Mike have had very similar careers. Almost to the date.

Bono started off very young but was great for his age, played to a big crowd early into his career. Signed a record deal at like , what?, 18? Debuted around '81.

Jordan started off at North Carolina and won a national championship in college as a freshman in '82.

Jordan went on to the NBA in '84-'85 and shined but his team couldn't quite get him a ring just yet. He started becoming a household name in around '87-'88 when he was winning dunk contests, scoring titles, and strangely enough, selling shoes.

Bono broke into the popular spotlight in '83 with War, including Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day. Shortly after, in 1985, Bono becomes a household name via Live Aid and everyone was a witness to his stage presence, or off-stage if you prefer, and his amazing voice.

Then in 1987 The Joshua Tree comes out. Bono's first number one single 'With Or Without You' followed by his second "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. In 1988 he finds himself on the big stage projected at the big screen. Hollywood. Pop Culture. And Africa.

The late 80's produced the Air Jordan, a shoe turned into a pop icon. 'Michael' Jordan doesnt adequately describe what's going on any more. It's 'Air' Jordan now. Bigger than life but not on top. He shoots too much for his own good. Here comes the 90's.

The late 80's saw an end to a naive, clean cut, middle class kid with an amazing talent and the begining of a superstar... and the end of a moviestar. The 80's own Elvis. The 90's own Fly.

The early 90's also saw a criticised Air Jordan and Bono rise to greatness. Jordan has his first 3 championships... in a row, Bono sells out a 2 or 3 year world tour. And with the spotlight comes heat. For their own seperate resons, Bono and Michael Jordan disappeared in the mid 90's. In 1995- 1996 Jordan returned to the NBA after a 3 year hiatus. His comeback included a visit to the playoffs but no cigar. The next year saw another championship, followed by two straight.

In 1997 Bono made a comeback. It was a flaw but not a total loss. The next record is a smash hit, followed by a Grammy for Album of the Year the very next release.

Keep in mind, both have two successful side projects as well as the crown and septer for their day-jobs. Although Africa is slightly more important than footwear.

Heres where it could get kind of prophetic. Does Bono release one more great record then disappear only to make a third comeback and fail wearing teal and take his night job full-time? Or does he break the cycle?

As for the comparison, aside from the parrallel track record are their talents and skills. Both excelled at their game by being great at everything. Nobody's got range like Mike and Bono.

So where do you put Bono in a general consensus of music's elite? Could the title have been 'Is Michael Jordan the 'Bono' of basketball'?

I think that's a little bit of a stretch.

Michael is almost universally referred to as the single greatest basketball player to ever play the game. His Bulls teams' championship reign in the 90s is considered one of the greatest dynasties in the history of sports.

U2 is considered one of the greatest rock bands of all time, but is Bono individually the single greatest rock singer of all time? I don't know if you can say that.

Why not? Who in music has had a more successful career? Elvis = Wilt the stilt.

As for the second point, I'll counter it with one question. Who would've been better if you swapped singers for Led Zep and U2?

If Michael Jordan and Bono were on two seperate burning towers and the 'Popular Firetruck' had time to put just one out, which life would the masses spare?

t8thgr8 said:
If Michael Jordan and Bono were on two seperate burning towers and the 'Popular Firetruck' had time to put just one out, which life would the masses spare?

If it's based purely on popularity, they would spare MJ.

U2DMfan said:

I'm saying it's arguable that it's even one of the top 10 'dynasties in the history of sports'. That's all.

It's not argueable, imo. There is no way you could make that list and not include them.

very arguable. Are you trying to convice us into your idea??It's not a bad thing,i do that all the time, but did you really didn't came up with better comparison,or were you really that bored??

Lets hope that U2 doesn't retire and comeback a few years after as a parody of themselves - like Jordan's time with the Washington Wizards - or Bono becoming a manager of some crap group - like Jordan's disasterous tenure in the Wizards' front office :coughKwameBrown#1overall pickcough:

Did Bono ever have the raging gambling problem that Jordan was documented to have?

I'd might say performer rather than singer. Interesting t8thgr8!

Michael Jackson is more like Michael Jordan.

remember, they did that video together.

But seriously, Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson were idolized by everyone in the world.
Plus, both careers fizzled. Jordan came out of retirement and did nothing with the Wizards cause he was old and lost a step. Michael Jackson hasn't had a hit song or album since 1991.

If you want to compare an athlete to Bono, Andre Agassi would be perfect. They both had mullets and now they have short or very little hair (not counting Bono's long hair in the early Vertigo days).

Windmilllane said:
Michael Jackson is more like Michael Jordan.

remember, they did that video together.

But seriously, Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson were idolized by everyone in the world.
Plus, both careers fizzled. Jordan came out of retirement and did nothing with the Wizards cause he was old and lost a step. Michael Jackson hasn't had a hit song or album since 1991.

A few corrections:

Jordan did nothing with the Wizards not becuase he was older, but because he didn't have a good team around him. Now, that was his his fault anyway because he was the GM, but still, not just because he was older.

Michael Jackson's song 'Scream' from the disc of new material in 1995's 'History' album, was a hit. 'You Rock My World' from 2001's 'Invincible' might be a hit, but I'm really not sure about that one.

namkcuR said:

A few corrections:

Jordan did nothing with the Wizards not becuase he was older, but because he didn't have a good team around him. Now, that was his his fault anyway because he was the GM, but still, not just because he was older.

I respectfully disagree; Jordan was not the same player with the Wizards, good team, bad team or not.

Back
Top Bottom